Waiter Charged Over Arabic Chant at Jewish Wedding

Not a fan of the presumption of innocence?

Actually, I am a fan of the presumption of innocence.

I'm challenging Sunni's presumption that it did not warrant a felony charge. Apparently, the DA thinks it was a malicious enough offense to warrant the accused getting slapped with a stronger charge than gross misdemeanor.

They had every right to fire the guy.

But have the police arrest him for felony harassment.

That just PC nonsense!!!! :cuckoo:

What is PC harassment...the charge or the law? Do you even know what you are talking about?

§ 240.31 Aggravated harassment in the first degree.

A person is guilty of aggravated harassment in the first degree when
with intent to harass, annoy, threaten or alarm another person, because
of a belief or perception regarding such person's race, color, national
origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious practice, age, disability
or sexual orientation, regardless of whether the belief or perception is
correct, he or she:

1. Damages premises primarily used for religious purposes, or acquired
pursuant to section six of the religious corporation law and maintained
for purposes of religious instruction, and the damage to the premises
exceeds fifty dollars; or

2. Commits the crime of aggravated harassment in the second degree in
the manner proscribed by the provisions of subdivision three of section
240.30 of this article and has been previously convicted of the crime of
aggravated harassment in the second degree for the commission of conduct
proscribed by the provisions of subdivision three of section 240.30 or
he has been previously convicted of the crime of aggravated harassment
in the first degree within the preceding ten years.

Aggravated harassment in the first degree is a class E felony.

A person may be charged with felony harassment when he has previously been convicted for misdemeanor harassment.

Apparently, they are considering this a hate crime.

Now I do not know how Jewish the wedding party was. If they were very conservative I do not think this is a prosecutor over charging. I wonder what the participants at the wedding felt at the time.

A person may be charged with felony harassment when he has previously been convicted for misdemeanor harassment.

Apparently, they are considering this a hate crime.

a hate crime? nope. a crime of harassment based on religious views. insensitive and hateful? I don't know about the second part. not enough info on the perp

Now I do not know how Jewish the wedding party was. If they were very conservative I do not think this is a prosecutor over charging. I wonder what the participants at the wedding felt at the time.

It's not hard to imagine how they felt. Especially, with the war going on right now in Israel.

Sunni Man I think we ought to send the Anti-Defamation League to your mosque to play yiddish music full blast at your daughter's wedding just to see how you'd feel.

They wouldn't do it of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I am a fan of the presumption of innocence.

I'm challenging Sunni's presumption that it did not warrant a felony charge. Apparently, the DA thinks it was a malicious enough offense to warrant the accused getting slapped with a stronger charge than gross misdemeanor.

DAs over charge all the time. Presumption of innocence is not in order here. The guy is guilty. He is presumed innocent fort the purposes of a trial or court hearing. Maliciousness has not been established as far as we know. Unless of course mani's fastest horse is back in the race.

:lol:

that is a subjective thing based on little evidence. but it was insensitive and it is a violation of the harassment because of religious views...why else did the guy apologize by saying he was unaware it went over the PA system?

Well, the waiter just 'happened' to have a tape of Arabic chantings from a rally on him while he was working at the reception of Jewish people, and during his shift he just HAD to play it for his friend~it's all just a BIG misunderstanding................ :rolleyes:

Playing arabic music is now Jew hating??

That is soo silly!!! :cuckoo:

Playing Arabic music (not on the playlist) at a Jewish wedding could be construed as hate if it can be determined the offender did so in order to intimidate or harass.

what is it you don't get about harassment? this is not the Arab mid east. that kind of behavior is unacceptable in a civilized society.

Last edited:
Well, the waiter just 'happened' to have a tape of Arabic chantings from a rally on him while he was working at the reception of Jewish people, and during his shift he just HAD to play it for his friend~it's all just a BIG misunderstanding................ :rolleyes:
I read elsewhere the recording was on his cell phone.

Buttafucco admittedly made the tape at an anti-Israeli rally. He must really hate Jews to pull a stunt like this. Why am I not surprised our resident anti-semite is defending the actions of the accused?

So predictable.

I think it's quite insulting to devout Muslims that their sacred prayer to God be used in this offensive manner to hurt others during a religious ceremony.

I'm surprised our resident spokeman for the 'religion of peace' isn't outraged at the misuse of his religious prayers being used in a harmful way.

This was NOT the beautiful sound of the chant of morning or evening prayers that I have heard while in India, and found haunting and beautiful. This was a recording of an angry mob.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back