What will you believe if science recreates the beginings of life?

What will you believe if science recreates the beginings of life?

I'll tell you, but I doubt you'll much like the answer.

What that would prove to me is that life can be created by intelligent design.

Not exactly the response you were looking for, now, was it?

But seriously, that's what that would prove.

What it would NOT prove is that life is created by random chemical reactions.

I mean that probably is the truth, but your proposed announcement that science has created life in a test tube wouldn't prove it.

Not sure why you would expect it to change any of our beliefs. I mean I believe life was created. If life is created by scientists, then obviously, life can be created.

Is that supposed to prove or disprove God? Cause honestly, I just dont see how.

As has been indicated I don't know if it would cause anyone to re-think their beliefs. I'd be interested to read about it but, even as an agnostic, I wouldn't go further than being quite intrigued that scientists managed to reverse-engineer a chemical process. What goes from there, I don't know. But I don't thik it goes anywhere to proving or disproving the existence of a supernatural creator.

The thing that many ignore is this: Regardless of how life was created, or the universe itself, it cannot answer what put it all into motion to begin with, nor can anyone tell who if it was intelligent. Maybe someday we will find it all out, but just by showing life being created does not answer all the questions.

The thing that many ignore is this: Regardless of how life was created, or the universe itself, it cannot answer what put it all into motion to begin with, nor can anyone tell who if it was intelligent. Maybe someday we will find it all out, but just by showing life being created does not answer all the questions.

The day you die you will know. One way or the other. Either there was a God. Or. not. Too bad we won't be able to compare notes.

Let me just throw this out into the wind.

Do you know how many things had to be just perfect in order for life to flourish on the planet earth? Perfect.

The day you die you will know. One way or the other. Either there was a God. Or. not. Too bad we won't be able to compare notes.

Do you know how many things had to be just perfect in order for life to flourish on the planet earth? Perfect.

Calculating the infinite number of planets, each one being unique in some way or another, it's not impossible, on the contrary it's highly likely that it all just happened on it's own. You are talking about one planet from an infinite number of planets, we aren't the only world in the universe, nor the only solar system, nor the only galaxy, hell, we may not even be in the only universe.

Calculating the infinite number of planets, each one being unique in some way or another, it's not impossible, on the contrary it's highly likely that it all just happened on it's own. You are talking about one planet from an infinite number of planets, we aren't the only world in the universe, nor the only solar system, nor the only galaxy, hell, we may not even be in the only universe.

oh, honey that's for sure! The point is, we've traveled, or had our little spacemachines travel many millions of miles, and so far the only life found is on this pale blue dot so my question was do you have any idea how perfect so many things had to be to sustain life on this pale blue dot?

Last edited:
I'll tell you, but I doubt you'll much like the answer.

What that would prove to me is that life can be created by intelligent design.

Not exactly the response you were looking for, now, was it?

But seriously, that's what that would prove.

What it would NOT prove is that life is created by random chemical reactions.

I mean that probably is the truth, but your proposed announcement that science has created life in a test tube wouldn't prove it.

are the experimenters trying to prove "life is created by random chemical reactions." ?????

hahahahaha, wrong!!!

the thing about perfect...hello? what is, is. perfection is a subjective idiocy you are putting on IT.

if the day you die there is nothing there will be no knowing shit. :eusa_whistle:

lights out

oh, honey that's for sure! The point is, we've traveled, or had our little spacemachines travel many millions of miles, and so far the only life found is on this pale blue dot so my question was do you have any idea how perfect so many things had to be to sustain life on this pale blue dot?

Um .. you do realize we have only come close (and not very) to one other solar system, much less one other planet. We don't know what's out there yet, not even close. For all we know (though extremely unlikely) there could be one or more planets in every solar system with life on it. Also, we do know that there is bacterial life on some of our other planets and moons within our own solar system (just nothing large except on earth). You really need to stop using the whole 'god dunnit' answer for everything and learn a bit more. Right now Hubble can't even get enough of a picture from out of our own solar system to show if it's even possible (or not).

We have two choices in life right now as a species:
1. Go back to the Dark Ages and keep destroying ourselves (often for really stupid reasons) because we have nothing better to do.

or

2. Study existence and all within it using science to keep busy and maybe learn something that might keep our species from vanishing completely.

This has always intrigued me. It seems intuitively right that all the ducks had to be in a row, chemically speaking I mean, for life to originate. Now, given there are probably billions of planets in the universe a couple of things occur to me.

1. This can't be the only planet in the universe with life as we know it Jim.
2. It is the only planet in the universe with life as we know it Jim.

I can actually hold those two views in my mind at the same time without my head exploding. Okay there's a bit of pressure but nothing's exploding.

if 1 then there's nothing special about Earth, hah, life is everywhere on other planets. Those life forms have developed from whatever their own primordial soup was, therefore the universe is one big petrie dish full of hits and misses.

If 2 then we're here by accident, those ducks lined up here and nowhere else in the universe.

Neither 1 nor 2 imply a supenatural creator. Don't get me wrong, believe what you will but the conditions perfect idea is just argument from design with a spanking new jacket.

We have two choices in life right now as a species:
1. Go back to the Dark Ages and keep destroying ourselves (often for really stupid reasons) because we have nothing better to do.

or

2. Study existence and all within it using science to keep busy and maybe learn something that might keep our species from vanishing completely.

2. Since there's no particular reason why our species (yes I am human, I'm not just a bit of clever coding) should continue to exist then we should be working on 2.

This has always intrigued me. It seems intuitively right that all the ducks had to be in a row, chemically speaking I mean, for life to originate. Now, given there are probably billions of planets in the universe a couple of things occur to me.

back to the subjective concept that things are perfect. we don't know that a difference in things might have had life evolve in different ways than we currently understand.

you people are talking about life as we know it...as we know it. not too long ago we thought life could not exist in places it is abundant
(holes on bottom of the oceans/volcanoes/etc..).

the more we step away from super-naturalism and superstition and religion we see that we do not even understand what exactly constitutes life.

back to the subjective concept that things are perfect. we don't know that a difference in things might have had life evolve in different ways than we currently understand.

you people are talking about life as we know it...as we know it. not too long ago we thought life could not exist in places it is abundant
(holes on bottom of the oceans/volcanoes/etc..).

the more we step away from super-naturalism and superstition and religion we see that we do not even understand what exactly constitutes life.

You forgot the one place that was most recently revealed for life to exist: vacuum (or mostly vacuum such as space).

It won't effect my beliefs, why would it? Obviously life is something that can happen, so if science can do something that is obviously possible why would that shake anyone up?

Forum List

Back