Waffle House refuses to serve armed uniformed U.S. soldier

Let's see if a few days makes a difference, they may stick to their guns, but I bet after a few days of bad publicity they'll begin to waffle.

Other than the blog in the OP...where is all the bad publicity?

Even FoxNews has ignored it

People are saying that just because this person is a soldier, they should be able to overlook the rules that normal people have to follow.

Nope, sorry, the Waffle House has the right to not allow guns. I kinda think that if he was in uniform and armed, he was breaking regs by being armed off base in uniform. You only carry weapons in uniform in an OFFICIAL capacity, and that is limited to the base.

Instead of crapping all over WH, why not ask the question of why this individual was in the civilian community, in uniform and armed?

Fuck you Waffle House, you're an embarrassment to America.

Waffle House Refused to Serve an Armed, Uniformed U.S. Soldier

The company has a strict no gun policy.

This past weekend, an armed member of the U.S. Navy was denied service at a Waffle House restaurant in Kentucky. According to a local NBC station, when officer Billy Welch — who was in uniform — sat down for a meal at the Nicholasville location of the 24-hour chain, he was told he'd need to disarm or leave the restaurant.

If I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here

Welch, who had his firearm holstered at his side when he walked in the door, was only asked to leave after he'd placed his order and the server noticed the gun. When she asked him to leave his gun outside, he refused. He later told the news station, "You know, if I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here. I walked inside to the other waitress. I said, 'thank you, but no thank you ma'am. I'm gonna have to leave.'"

A witness took to Facebook to express his discontent at the incident.

Waffle House Refused to Serve an Armed, Uniformed U.S. Soldier

I am always skeptical of these types of stories, and suspect there is more to this...

People are saying that just because this person is a soldier, they should be able to overlook the rules that normal people have to follow.

Nope, sorry, the Waffle House has the right to not allow guns. I kinda think that if he was in uniform and armed, he was breaking regs by being armed off base in uniform. You only carry weapons in uniform in an OFFICIAL capacity, and that is limited to the base.

Instead of crapping all over WH, why not ask the question of why this individual was in the civilian community, in uniform and armed?

Sec Of Def Ash Carter gave the green light to certain military members to carry off base last August

Uniformed or otherwise, if he wanted Waffles, the price was leaving his gun outside. I support open carry and second amendment rights, but I also support the right of a business establishment to refuse service.

That's a tough one.

Having said that, I have no trouble with people alongside me in a restaurant carrying weapons.

What about uniformed police?

I am skeptical of the accuracy of this story,

Uniformed or otherwise, if he wanted Waffles, the price was leaving his gun outside. I support open carry and second amendment rights, but I also support the right of a business establishment to refuse service.

That's a tough one.

Having said that, I have no trouble with people alongside me in a restaurant carrying weapons.

What about uniformed police?

I am skeptical of the accuracy of this story,
Me too

The guy is Army National Guard and he showed up at the Waffle House at 1:30 AM with his personal sidearm

He claims he is "not comfortable" without his sidearm and is trying to turn it into a "Waffle House hates the military" story

Sec Of Def Ash Carter gave the green light to certain military members to carry off base last August

Link? And..............did this member meet the requirements to carry off base?

Google and I don't know if he qualified, someone said he was National Guard and he might be a recruiter, given recruiters were targeted he may very well be able to carry. I don't see what the problem is, he's military and knows weapons. This is a big stink over nothing

Google and I don't know if he qualified, someone said he was National Guard and he might be a recruiter, given recruiters were targeted he may very well be able to carry. I don't see what the problem is, he's military and knows weapons. This is a big stink over nothing

The problem is that he very well may have broken base regs by being armed in the civilian community. Just because someone "is military and knows weapons" means nothing, because military people can be stupid as well. I remember a couple of times hearing about Marines who were on the gates of NAS and NOB Norfolk who ended up shooting their watch partner because they were bored and decided to play quick draw with each other. Military doesn't necessarily mean they are trustworthy with guns.

BTW...............when I'm asked for a link, I post it, not tell others to Google it themselves.

I'm guessing the reason you didn't post a link is because your claim is b.s.

I love it when people who have never served try to tell people who did what the regulations are and what is and isn't authorized.

The problem is that he very well may have broken base regs by being armed in the civilian community. Just because someone "is military and knows weapons" means nothing, because military people can be stupid as well. I remember a couple of times hearing about Marines who were on the gates of NAS and NOB Norfolk who ended up shooting their watch partner because they were bored and decided to play quick draw with each other. Military doesn't necessarily mean they are trustworthy with guns.

BTW...............when I'm asked for a link, I post it, not tell others to Google it themselves.

I'm guessing the reason you didn't post a link is because your claim is b.s.

I love it when people who have never served try to tell people who did what the regulations are and what is and isn't authorized.

LOL I don't take direction from you....sit down

Apparently, the Navy guy was concerned about an invasion of North Korean gunboats at this particular Waffle House, and did not want to be unprepared.
I thought Navy guys carried mops not guns.

He was Army National Guard...Weekend warrior
Wait, the story in the OP was incorrect??????????????????

Rightwing blogs are like that sometimes

Armed soldier refused service at Waffle House

Last edited:
Apparently, the Navy guy was concerned about an invasion of North Korean gunboats at this particular Waffle House, and did not want to be unprepared.

I remember summers when we had a batch of Reservists come onboard for their 2 weeks of active duty............................

One of the guys showed up in his white Crackerjacks, and his neckerchief was tied like you'd tie a normal tie.

Sorry...............but Reservists and National Guard aren't exactly known for their knowledge of how to conduct yourself in the military, they only do it 2 weeks out of the year.

I'd be willing to bet he broke some regs when he went to WH.

I remember summers when we had a batch of Reservists come onboard for their 2 weeks of active duty............................

One of the guys showed up in his white Crackerjacks, and his neckerchief was tied like you'd tie a normal tie.

Sorry...............but Reservists and National Guard aren't exactly known for their knowledge of how to conduct yourself in the military, they only do it 2 weeks out of the year.

That's interesting. Don't they leave their service weapons on base? I've no idea what the regulations are and can't find them.

I'm not questioning their right to run their business as they see fit, if it were me however I would make exceptions for military personnel. They already exempt law enforcement, so it's not like it would be a huge undertaking.

I'm beginning to doubt your story, hundreds of National Guard served in Iraq and Afghanistan, in fact my family knew one who died in Afghanistan , he was with the Indiana 713th Engineers, a sapper, I defy you to call one of them a "weekend warrior"

He shows up with his wife at 1:30 AM. He is in uniform and has what appears to be his personal sidearm that he carries everywhere

He was too afraid to eat in a Waffle House without his weapon

Forum List

Back