Waffle House refuses to serve armed uniformed U.S. soldier

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Fuck you Waffle House, you're an embarrassment to America.

Waffle House Refused to Serve an Armed, Uniformed U.S. Soldier

The company has a strict no gun policy.

This past weekend, an armed member of the U.S. Navy was denied service at a Waffle House restaurant in Kentucky. According to a local NBC station, when officer Billy Welch — who was in uniform — sat down for a meal at the Nicholasville location of the 24-hour chain, he was told he'd need to disarm or leave the restaurant.

If I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here

Welch, who had his firearm holstered at his side when he walked in the door, was only asked to leave after he'd placed his order and the server noticed the gun. When she asked him to leave his gun outside, he refused. He later told the news station, "You know, if I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here. I walked inside to the other waitress. I said, 'thank you, but no thank you ma'am. I'm gonna have to leave.'"

A witness took to Facebook to express his discontent at the incident.

This past weekend, an armed member of the U.S. Navy was denied service at a Waffle House restaurant in Kentucky. According to a local NBC station, when officer Billy Welch — who was in uniform — sat down for a meal at the Nicholasville location of the 24-hour chain, he was told he'd need to disarm or leave the restaurant.

Welch, who had his firearm holstered at his side when he walked in the door, was only asked to leave after he'd placed his order and the server noticed the gun. When she asked him to leave his gun outside, he refused. He later told the news station, "You know, if I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here. I walked inside to the other waitress. I said, 'thank you, but no thank you ma'am. I'm gonna have to leave.'"

Uniformed or otherwise, if he wanted Waffles, the price was leaving his gun outside. I support open carry and second amendment rights, but I also support the right of a business establishment to refuse service.

That's a tough one.

Having said that, I have no trouble with people alongside me in a restaurant carrying weapons.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
"We have the Right to Refuse Service".

Waffle House is kinda low brow but we must thank Veterans for this Freedom!

You can't get more American than Waffle House. I doubt this is a true story.

Are you saying they DO NOT have a "no gun" policy ?
I recall Waffle House was a target of a bogus complaint in the past. This sounds like it. We're talking about Kentucky here...Kentucky!

Well I guess it should be easy enough to find out if they have this policy.
Anyway, even if they do, you would think soldiers and police officers would be exempt.

Jerks. One, I hope every active member and every military veteran boycotts this restaurant.
Two, I hope it gets robbed.

Why didn't he just put his weapon in the car?

I eat at Waffle House all the time and have never had to be armed

You will now.

Uniformed or otherwise, if he wanted Waffles, the price was leaving his gun outside. I support open carry and second amendment rights, but I also support the right of a business establishment to refuse service.

That's a tough one.

Having said that, I have no trouble with people alongside me in a restaurant carrying weapons.
it's a slippery slope...Many of Waffle House's locations are in red states. Pro gun. Pro military.
The corporation would be wise to issue a statement in support of active military personnel

I will hand it to the people who've posted so far in this thread.....

There has been how many posts so far?......and nobody has blamed Obama for this incident.

Remember Luby's?

You will now.
I am not afraid to walk around in public without a gun. Shame that a soldier is afraid to enter a Waffle House

That's a tough one.

it's a slippery slope...Many of Waffle House's locations are in red states. Pro gun. Pro military.
The corporation would be wise to issue a statement in support of active military personnel
I don't know what the "slippery slope" falacy is like where you are....but any business willing to exercize it's right to refuse service, must expect to irritate the people, to which, they refuse service.

The bakery that wouldn't bake a wedding cake for gays, probably didn't expect to increase their gay wedding clientele, but that's a different type of business in scale.

For all we know...the Waffle House employee might have gotten in trouble for letting the guy keep his gun there. I dunno.

I'm a little dissapointed that this ia all second hand from a Facebook post

Remember Luby's?

I was at the Lubys in Killeen a few months after the attack. I didn't bring a gun

I remember Luby's. Well.

Very well.

23 dead. 27 wounded.

I would embrace any law dog in my establishment.

Remember Luby's?

I was at the Lubys in Killeen a few months after the attack. I didn't bring a gun

Her story is amazing and she has rocked every state with her story.

If she'd only had her gun.

Forum List

Back