Waffle House refuses to serve armed uniformed U.S. soldier

Apparently, the Navy guy was concerned about an invasion of North Korean gunboats at this particular Waffle House, and did not want to be unprepared.
I thought Navy guys carried mops not guns.

He was Army National Guard...Weekend warrior

I remember summers when we had a batch of Reservists come onboard for their 2 weeks of active duty............................

One of the guys showed up in his white Crackerjacks, and his neckerchief was tied like you'd tie a normal tie.

Sorry...............but Reservists and National Guard aren't exactly known for their knowledge of how to conduct yourself in the military, they only do it 2 weeks out of the year.

I'd be willing to bet he broke some regs when he went to WH.

He shows up with his wife at 1:30 AM. He is in uniform and has what appears to be his personal sidearm that he carries everywhere

He was too afraid to eat in a Waffle House without his weapon
Uh oh. I'm pretty sure it is against regulations to have a personal weapon while in uniform.

I haven't been an active USMC officer for many years but as I recall, wearing a sidearm off duty used to be a no-no. Hell, you can't even carry a weapon on base or on ship unless you are SP. Ever been to an off-base bar? The idea of arming a crowd of drunken swabbies is pretty weird.

People are saying that just because this person is a soldier, they should be able to overlook the rules that normal people have to follow.

Nope, sorry, the Waffle House has the right to not allow guns. I kinda think that if he was in uniform and armed, he was breaking regs by being armed off base in uniform. You only carry weapons in uniform in an OFFICIAL capacity, and that is limited to the base.

Instead of crapping all over WH, why not ask the question of why this individual was in the civilian community, in uniform and armed?

I'm not questioning their right to run their business as they see fit, if it were me however I would make exceptions for military personnel. They already exempt law enforcement, so it's not like it would be a huge undertaking.

Hey, if they want to exempt military, they can do so, but their current rules should have been obeyed by the soldier.

And...........like I've said before.............prior to going on watch or patrol, I'd check my government issued weapon out of the armory a half hour prior to watch, and then immediately afterwards, I was required to turn the weapon back in.

And we were strictly forbidden to leave base armed, even if it was shorter to go from one gate to the other through town than to go around on the base. Newport was like that, because it was shorter to go through town to get to the main gate from the nearest one than it was to follow back around the shoreline to get there.

And..............we couldn't take the shortcut, because it was off base.

Apparently, the Navy guy was concerned about an invasion of North Korean gunboats at this particular Waffle House, and did not want to be unprepared.

I remember summers when we had a batch of Reservists come onboard for their 2 weeks of active duty............................

One of the guys showed up in his white Crackerjacks, and his neckerchief was tied like you'd tie a normal tie.

Sorry...............but Reservists and National Guard aren't exactly known for their knowledge of how to conduct yourself in the military, they only do it 2 weeks out of the year.

He shows up with his wife at 1:30 AM. He is in uniform and has what appears to be his personal sidearm that he carries everywhere

Uh oh. I'm pretty sure it is against regulations to have a personal weapon while in uniform.

It IS against regs to carry a personal weapon in an official capacity. You MUST use a government issued weapon from the armory.

What a dick you are.

What a dick you are.

What better explanation is there for a grown man afraid to eat out with his wife at a Waffle House without a gun?

The guy was a dick for saying it had anything to do with him being in uniform

What a dick you are.

What better explanation is there for a grown man afraid to eat out with his wife at a Waffle House without a gun?

I know people that carry everywhere and I tend to think they are cowards. And why take your spouse somewhere you felt wasn't safe?

He was in Uniform which means if he was openly armed it was a duty requirement. It is against policy and orders to be armed in uniform with a privately owned weapon in the US.

Correct. But I give the benefit of the doubt to Waffle House that perhaps they simply didn't know that no soldier is going to be in this country armed unless it was part of their job because to do so would to be in violation of standing orders.

An example. As an MP we often had soldiers who needed to be transported to and fro , usually they had gotten busted over a weekend for public intox or whatever, and when transporting them our standing orders were to be armed.

I can personally remember a few times of going into a civilian restaurant in uniform and armed to get something to eat b/c i was too far from a base or whatever.

Of course Waffle House has a right, but its a shit bag move.

What a dick you are.

And so you've decided that this soldier is afraid to eat in public without having a gun.
You're pathetic.

What a dick you are.

And so you've decided that this soldier is afraid to eat in public without having a gun.
You're pathetic.

I'm not

I eat in Waffle Houses all the time. I don't need a gun

Maybe Waffle House thought the soldier might be gay and they wanted to save their immortal soul from Eternal fire at the hand of an "All Loving God"...just saying

Fuck you Waffle House, you're an embarrassment to America.

Waffle House Refused to Serve an Armed, Uniformed U.S. Soldier

The company has a strict no gun policy.

This past weekend, an armed member of the U.S. Navy was denied service at a Waffle House restaurant in Kentucky. According to a local NBC station, when officer Billy Welch — who was in uniform — sat down for a meal at the Nicholasville location of the 24-hour chain, he was told he'd need to disarm or leave the restaurant.

If I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here

Welch, who had his firearm holstered at his side when he walked in the door, was only asked to leave after he'd placed his order and the server noticed the gun. When she asked him to leave his gun outside, he refused. He later told the news station, "You know, if I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here. I walked inside to the other waitress. I said, 'thank you, but no thank you ma'am. I'm gonna have to leave.'"

A witness took to Facebook to express his discontent at the incident.

Maybe they didn't want him to become brain dead and poisoned like the rest of the fucking idiots that shadow that shithouse door ?
Waffle House. Right up there with Denny's. Places to slop flag waving retards.

What a dick you are.

You're pathetic.

I'm not

And so because a person has a gun concealed or open carry while they are in a restaurant , means they would be afraid to be in there unless they had their gun with them ?

This past weekend, an armed member of the U.S. Navy was denied service at a Waffle House restaurant in Kentucky. According to a local NBC station, when officer Billy Welch — who was in uniform — sat down for a meal at the Nicholasville location of the 24-hour chain, he was told he'd need to disarm or leave the restaurant.

Welch, who had his firearm holstered at his side when he walked in the door, was only asked to leave after he'd placed his order and the server noticed the gun. When she asked him to leave his gun outside, he refused. He later told the news station, "You know, if I can't have my firearm, then I can't be here. I walked inside to the other waitress. I said, 'thank you, but no thank you ma'am. I'm gonna have to leave.'"

Maybe they didn't want him to become brain dead and poisoned like the rest of the fucking idiots that shadow that shithouse door ?
Waffle House. Right up there with Denny's. Places to slop flag waving retards.

I've never eaten at one, but some of the posters here say the food is great. I take it you believe such an establishment is beneath you.

What a dick you are.

You're pathetic.

I'm not

And so because a person has a gun concealed or open carry while they are in a restaurant , means they would be afraid to be in there unless they had their gun with them ?

Yes. The proper term is afraid

If you refuse to eat somewhere if you cannot be packing a gun, it shows you are afraid.
He could have easily put his gun in the car when asked. He chose a weapon over his meal

It was HIS choice

Maybe Waffle House thought the soldier might be gay and they wanted to save their immortal soul from Eternal fire at the hand of an "All Loving God"...just saying
Maybe people who think that are mentally deranged... just saying.

Just because you got fucked up the ass by some fag when you were a kid doesn't mean you must accept it as being the right thing for him to do.

What a dick you are.

You're pathetic.

I'm not

Yes. The proper term is afraid

If you refuse to eat somewhere if you cannot be packing a gun, it shows you are afraid.
He could have easily put his gun in the car when asked. He chose a weapon over his meal

It was HIS choice

I think you're full of shit, and you're being highly disrespectful of a member of our armed services.

Side issue..... If this had been some left-wing minority group dissed by a store somewhere, I wonder if the media would have written it up "..to express his discontent at the incident.."

That's so calming and innocent, and how tranquil. They had some mild 'discontent' at the 'incident'.

I wager if this had been Homos tossing water on a priest in a church, and were kicked out..... "Outraged Homo supporters let their democratic voices be heard on Facebook!"

But no no... it's a gun carrying military crap person... "discontented by the incident".... Sad sorry discontented people. Good thing the open-mind, objective, neutral reporting media is here to tell the story.

>

Not sure if we have the full story yet...

1. Reports linked here say it was a 1:30AM.
2. Reports linked here say he was with his wife.

So was he open carrying his personal firearm in uniform?

Was he in a duty status carrying a government issue firearm as part of his job?

The answers to those questions impact how the story is interpreted. The fact that he was in uniform was irrelevant. He wasn't refused service because he was in uniform, he was refused service because of his firearm.

>>>>

Forum List

Back