****** vs Images of Muhammed

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by manifold, Apr 22, 2010.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,733
    Is being sensitive to the beliefs of Muslims and not publishing images of the prophet Muhammed materially different from being sensitive to black people and not using the term ****** (apart from the obvious difference that one is seen and the other heard)?

Discuss

2. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295

Materially different? Having respect for others transcends religion or race.

Does this idea go back to your notion that individuals are Gods??? :eusa_think:

I guess the material difference it is that calling one random black person a bad name does not necessarily extend to the entire race, whereas disparaging the image of Muhammed definitely offends many people by extension.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  3. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,733
    Perhaps, but I suspect that a lot of black people see the use of the term ****** by non-blacks (especially whites) as disparaging the entire race.

And no, this doesn't go back to the notion of individuals being gods.

The reason I asked this in the first place is because I think people (outside the target group) generally view the two "offenses" quite differently. Few people defended Kramer for his ****** tirade, but most non-muslims defended the cartoons of Muhammed, and essentially suggested that Muslims need to get the fuck over it. I know that the whole murder and death threat thing plays a part in peoples perceptions, but I'm not really sure why anyone would think one is ok and the other isn't.

4. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295

I really can't even remember the rant or the cartoon, but I guess you can chalk it up to selective indignation. :cool:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,733
    Seems there is a lot of that going around. :D

6. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,915
    The on glaring difference I can see is ******, as a word can be used in a "fighting word" situation. It is more difficult to do that with a picture, although technically you could take one of the mohammed cartoons and wave it in a muslim's face.

7. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,733
    I suppose. But I'm talking more about the court of public opinion when it comes to each type of "offense."

8. momonkey

momonkey simianus restituo officiu

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37

Religions have different tenets like obedience, prayer, baptism, confession, etc. Here in America with our long tradition of religious tolerance (by world standards) we accept that others are legally and culturally free to ignore our own personal religious practices. When I was in grade school, the Catholic kids ate fish on Friday, but the rest of us could eat what we liked. We didn't have a controversy because non-Catholic kids ate meat on Friday or that the same lunch line was serving fish stick and sloppy joes.

Enter Muslims. Largely immigrants, Muslims have far less tolerance for the free expression of other religions and even less for anyone who feels free to ignore uniquely Islamic practices like not creating cartoons of Mohamed or not criticizing the Islamic religion. Bottom line is Islam is incompatible with a free society in which the rights of all are guaranteed.

9. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,892
    okay sweet cakes i will type this real fucking slow...so you can get it...

******...anyone threatening to kill anyone over using ****** on tv?

did chapelle get death threats or his directors or his writers for the '****** family' skits?

do the directors and writers of the 'wire' i could just go on and on...

that sweet cakes if the fucking difference....

call me if you need anymore explaining

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Given the last 100 years of court cases regarding artistic expression and the will of christian standards of decency posts like this illustrate the necessity of short buses and padded helmets. Islam in America functions quite well with our legal standards of freedom. But, leave it to some dense motherfucker to forget that we are all immigrants here and every wave of new cultures and traditions have been demonized in the same fashion as we see islam raked through the coals today.

:rolleyes: