Voter ID terrifies Democrats

Oh, more good stuff from The Moonie Times...

That's the best you can do? LOL! Wow, you lefties really are scared.

You posted an opinion piece... with no additional commentary from yourself.

That's the best you can do?

If I wanted to read the Washington Post, I'd go online and read it.

It's the Republicans who are terrified. The number of cases of voter fraud in this country do not constitute a crisis, as much as Republicans would lead us to believe. The cons of voter ID outweigh the pros, at least, they do today. I'm not really opposed to voter ID but it needs to be a program instilled over time and not just a knee-jerk reaction to over-blown hype. It's estimated that 3 million New Yorkers do not have a DL. You can't expect them all to go out quick and get IDs within a couple of months before the primary. The government agencies wouldn't be able to handle the rush, which leads me to the next point. Isn't it ironic that the Republicans would be pushing for more government regulation? Oh well,..... I guess only when it suits them.

Last edited:
I was pleased to see this thread, since I have yet to see a full and compelling reason why simply asking someone to prove who they are before they can vote is such a terrible thing.

In the four (so far) pages, I've seen some amusing insults and creative name-calling, but still no cohesive argument. So evidently, I'm being told that expecting someone to obtain a photo ID between today and November (11 months) is simply asking too much. That people are simply incapable of finding a way to get that done between now and then. That wanting someone to prove they are who they say they are before exercising our most important and fundamental right is simply going too far.

Surely you can do better than this.

Last edited:
Which is worse?

A criminal voting twice or a law abiding citizen being denied the right to vote once?

Which occurs more often?
If there's no ID requirements to vote, how do you know people are voting illegally?

There are ID requirements. They take place when a person registers. The problem is that nutters are asking ( requiring ) people to acquire NEW FORMS of ID. The ones that law abiding citizens have been using for years ( decades ) are no longer acceptable. This IN SPITE of the fact that multiple-vote fraud is NOT a problem of any consequence in this nation.

I was pleased to see this thread, since I have yet to see a full and compelling reason why simply asking someone to prove who they are before they can vote is such a terrible thing.

In the four (so far) pages, I've seen some amusing insults and creative name-calling, but still no cohesive argument. So evidently, I'm being told that expecting someone to obtain a photo ID between today and November (11 months) is simply asking too much. That people are simply incapable of finding a way to get that done between now and then. That wanting someone to prove they are who they say they are before exercising our most important and fundamental right is simply going too far.

Surely you can do better than this.

no... they really cannot do any better.

Oh, more good stuff from The Moonie Times...

It's the Republicans who are terrified. The number of cases of voter fraud in this country do not constitute a crisis, as much as Republicans would lead us to believe. The cons of voter ID outweigh the pros, at least, they do today. I'm not really opposed to voter ID but it needs to be a program instilled over time and not just a knee-jerk reaction to over-blown hype. It's estimated that 3 million New Yorkers do not have a DL. You can't expect them all to go out quick and get IDs within a couple of months before the primary. The government agencies wouldn't be able to handle the rush, which leads me to the next point. Isn't it ironic that the Republicans would be pushing for more government regulation? Oh well,..... I guess only when it suits them.

Not having a driver's license doesn't mean you don't have ID.

By the Democrats logic, if there were only a handful of murders, we should not bother to make murder against the law, as only a handful take place. No biggie. Same with every other crime. If only a handful take place, pull the law from the books, as it is meaningless since only a handful take place.

Not having a driver's license doesn't mean you don't have ID.

....nor does it mean you do.

I still love the Democrat argument that ONLY Democrats would be affected by voter ID requirements. It still seems they think Democrats are to lazy or stupid to get the proper ID.

By the Democrats logic, if there were only a handful of murders, we should not bother to make murder against the law, as only a handful take place. No biggie. Same with every other crime. If only a handful take place, pull the law from the books, as it is meaningless since only a handful take place.

Really? Is that how your mind works through an issue?

Really? Is that how your mind works through an issue?

Your parties logic, not mine.

By the Republicans logic, everyone's going out risking 5 years in jail and a $10,000 fine for each voting offense in order to increase the vote by one incremental vote. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

By the Republicans logic, everyone's going out risking 5 years in jail and a $10,000 fine for each voting offense in order to increase the vote by one incremental vote. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Your comment is as weak as your argument against voter ID laws.

“No one has been denied the right to vote by the Indiana Voter ID Law. The record clearly
establishes without challenge that 99 percent of the Voting Age Population in Indiana already has the required ID, in the form of driver’s licenses, passports, or other identification. Of the remaining 1 percent, senior citizens and the disabled are automatically eligible to vote by absentee ballot, and such absentee voting is exempt from the Voter ID Law.”

KNIGHT: Voter ID terrifies Democrats - Washington Times

Make them free and easy to get and then you don't have a problem. Voter suppression comes into play when you start charging and asking the elderly and minorities to jump through hoops in order to get the IDs.

Nobody is afraid of getting out the vote more than Republicans. It is a factor to Republicans when voter turnout is high, it has always been a factor. High voter turnout is good for Democrats.

I wouldn't want anyone in their right mind denied the right to vote, but it seems to me that if you are elderly and voting absentee...how do you know it's the person voting and not their caregiver?

Because their signature on the ballot envelope is matched to the signature on file. The caregiver's signature isn't going to match the one on file with the registrar.

Last edited:
The whole point of an ID is to ensure that you are legally entitled to vote. Nothing more.

The problem is that both parties at various times in thier histories have been accused of attempting to pack the ballot box. There have been enough accusations that common sense dictates that we eliminate avenues of approach. Using an ID does just that.

Those without ID don't vote. They don't get to drive, fish, hunt, buy a gun, buy alcohol, join the Marines, get into "R" rated flicks if they look young, or get into clubs IOT get stupid in public.

That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me. If I hadn't done all of the above I would count my life as having not lived.

Get your ID and get a life.

The ONLY reason not to have to furnish an ID is to allow voter fraud. I'm Phil and I approved this message.

The only reason to not want voter ID is to make it easier for voter fraud. We need licenses to drive, to drink, to open accounts in banks, to go to school, to get medical care, to borrow a book from the library, to have car insurance, so why shouldn't we expect to need a valid ID for the most important right as an American citizen???

I have heard ALL the reasons libs give for not needing voter ID and none of them hold water. People on welfare need ID's ...........don't they, in order to obtain their foodstamps and heating assistance and numerous vouchers from their local city/town hall and for their free healthcare
??? The eldery who are not able to get out and about have workers to do for them...........besides don't the elderly have ID's for their SS? I can't think of anyone who cannot obtain an ID. Here the libs claim that "some" people are just too busy working two or three jobs to take time off to go get an ID. REALLY? REALLY??? I find it quite funny that people can always find time to buy some beer, or go to a concert but cannot find the time to get an ID. REALLY??? Working with no time ever to get an ID? Even IF that were true, I'm sure it would be possible to have the clerk's office at townhalls and city halls around the country open on one day of the weekend for a few hours, and cut those hours from the Mon-Fri time. Or have people with the authority to do voter ID's on the day of voting. I'm sure that someone can figure out a way to make sure everyone has one. When I left home at 18 after graduation, I went to San Diego, and the first thing I did after obtaining an apartment was to register to vote at the city hall. It was THAT important to me.

The people have spoken and wanted the voter fraud stopped.
It is Republican and Democrats who have passed the I.D. laws.
Dems who voted for Hilliary have spoken up about the fraud, and pushed for I.D. laws.

I noticed that the Dems who are against this, are more than likely the ones who do the fraudulent registration of the dead, busing in from other areas, double voting and illegals.

In more than 40 states."That's right, the DNC appears to be standing up for potential fraud ? presumably because ending it would disenfranchise at least two of its core constituencies: the deceased and double-voters.

Across America, Republican and Democratic legislatures have put forth voter identification laws this year to protect the constitutional values of equal protection and one person one vote, and for good reason. Election fraud is a real and persistent threat to our electoral system, with allegations cropping up in every election cycle. Just in December, for example, a prosecutor in Indiana launched an investigation into allegations that some fraudulent signatures on petitions may have allowed President Obama to get on the ballot in that state's 2008 primary.

Assholes......it is obvious that the forms of ID that people already need are not sufficient to qualify under these new laws. That is the problem. Please.......stop being intentionally obtuse.

The whole point of an ID is to ensure that you are legally entitled to vote. Nothing more.

The problem is that both parties at various times in thier histories have been accused of attempting to pack the ballot box. There have been enough accusations that common sense dictates that we eliminate avenues of approach. Using an ID does just that.

Those without ID don't vote. They don't get to drive, fish, hunt, buy a gun, buy alcohol, join the Marines, get into "R" rated flicks if they look young, or get into clubs IOT get stupid in public.

That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment to me. If I hadn't done all of the above I would count my life as having not lived.

Get your ID and get a life.

The ONLY reason not to have to furnish an ID is to allow voter fraud. I'm Phil and I approved this message.

The only reason to not want voter ID is to make it easier for voter fraud. We need licenses to drive, to drink, to open accounts in banks, to go to school, to get medical care, to borrow a book from the library, to have car insurance, so why shouldn't we expect to need a valid ID for the most important right as an American citizen???

I have heard ALL the reasons libs give for not needing voter ID and none of them hold water. People on welfare need ID's ...........don't they, in order to obtain their foodstamps and heating assistance and numerous vouchers from their local city/town hall and for their free healthcare
??? The eldery who are not able to get out and about have workers to do for them...........besides don't the elderly have ID's for their SS? I can't think of anyone who cannot obtain an ID. Here the libs claim that "some" people are just too busy working two or three jobs to take time off to go get an ID. REALLY? REALLY??? I find it quite funny that people can always find time to buy some beer, or go to a concert but cannot find the time to get an ID. REALLY??? Working with no time ever to get an ID? Even IF that were true, I'm sure it would be possible to have the clerk's office at townhalls and city halls around the country open on one day of the weekend for a few hours, and cut those hours from the Mon-Fri time. Or have people with the authority to do voter ID's on the day of voting. I'm sure that someone can figure out a way to make sure everyone has one. When I left home at 18 after graduation, I went to San Diego, and the first thing I did after obtaining an apartment was to register to vote at the city hall. It was THAT important to me.

Getting set to vote is only important to Democrats if they get something out of it.

I am not vehemently opposed to these voter ID laws...as long as they aren't too restrictive and they should have a "grandfather" clause. If you've been voting for years and years, you shouldn't have to suddenly show a state issued ID in order to vote.

For me there is no acceptable ratio for disenfranchisement.

93-Year-Old Tennessee Woman Who Cleaned State Capitol For 30 Years Denied Voter ID

96-Year-Old Tennessee Woman Denied Voter ID Because She Didn’t Have Her Marriage License

91-Year-Old Tennessee Woman Can't Vote Because She Can't Stand In Line For Hours

Tennessee Agency Charges 86-Year Old Veteran An Unconstitutional Poll Tax To Obtain Voter ID

So, what is the acceptable ratio of disenfranchised voters to the non-existent instances of fraud that would have been prevented with an ID? Can anyone provide a single incident to counter these instances of voters being disenfranchised by the more restrictive states?

States like Texas that will allow a concealed carry permit as a form of ID, but not a student ID. Interesting that...

I am not vehemently opposed to these voter ID laws...as long as they aren't too restrictive and they should have a "grandfather" clause. If you've been voting for years and years, you shouldn't have to suddenly show a state issued ID in order to vote.

For me there is no acceptable ratio for disenfranchisement.

93-Year-Old Tennessee Woman Who Cleaned State Capitol For 30 Years Denied Voter ID

96-Year-Old Tennessee Woman Denied Voter ID Because She Didn’t Have Her Marriage License

91-Year-Old Tennessee Woman Can't Vote Because She Can't Stand In Line For Hours

Tennessee Agency Charges 86-Year Old Veteran An Unconstitutional Poll Tax To Obtain Voter ID

So, what is the acceptable ratio of disenfranchised voters to the non-existent instances of fraud that would have been prevented with an ID? Can anyone provide a single incident to counter these instances of voters being disenfranchised by the more restrictive states?

States like Texas that will allow a concealed carry permit as a form of ID, but not a student ID. Interesting that...

First, your source is biased. Second, some of the supporting links in these pieces are dead.

A spokesman for the House Republican Caucus insisted that Mitchell was given bad information and should’ve been allowed to vote, even with an expired state ID.

Under the Tennessee law, Cooper will still be able to vote via absentee ballot, which does not require photo ID.

Now another senior citizen in Tennessee, 91-year-old Virginia Lasater, may not be able to vote because she wasn’t able to stand in a long line at a DMV to get the necessary ID. Lasater says that she has voted and worked in campaigns for 70 years, but when she tried to get a photo ID recently, she discovered the center was packed and there were no chairs available. A clerk told Lasater and her son there was nothing they could do.

“If he came in for a photo ID for voting purposes, he should not have been charged,” the department stated.

Forum List

Back