Voter ID: How about this?

Little to no expense? From a government that spent $1Billion on a website that doesn't work?
Voting is a fundamental right in our society
If the government needs to spend some money...so be it

Great! Then let them spend money providing photo IDs for people who can't afford them.
Works for me

Provide readily accessible locations to get IDs. Post offices, libraries, local school
For those having difficulty producing acceptable documentation, assign them a government advocate to help locate birth certificates or other required documentation
We don't want IDs to be a "gotcha....you can't vote" for valid citizens

In CA, low income people can get a state photo ID for $8 through the DMV. If someone is too stupid to figure out how to apply for it, then said person is too stupid to function in society.

Given the level of voter apathy created by the conservative assault on education in this country.......8 bucks and the time needed to fish out documents ( provided they exist ) is enough for some potential voters to just say "fuck it!".

Only one of us thinks that is a good thing.

Another dose of crap. Conservative assault on education? Who controls the educational establishment?

Two options, neither necessarily to the exclusion of the other:

If you do not have or cannot afford (scoff) a state-issued picture ID....

1: Register to vote, get your picture taken. That picture goes into a database, similar to that of the BMV, if not the same one. When you show up to vote w/ your state issued photo ID. the poll workers go to the database, check you against the picture in the database, and then give you a ballot. If there is any question among the poll workers, you get a provisional ballot to be verified later.

2: Register to vote, get your thumbprint scanned. When you show up to vote w/o your state-issued picture ID,. you run your thumb over the scanner and given a green/red light to vote. A red light might be an error, so you cast a provisional ballot to be verified later.

This eliminates any cost to or burden on a low-income voter and therefore eliminates any argument regarding discrimination against same for political purposes.

What say ye?
You don't understand the issue.
The issue concerns citizens who registered to vote 30 or 40 years ago, have remained active and eligible on the voter registration rolls during that entire time, and lack the documents today through no fault of their own to obtain a current state issued ID to comply with the new laws being enacted.
These people have been adults for 30-40 years and don't have a state--issued photo ID?
So, while you can make up this objection, you cannot provide an example where the condition actually exists.
And in any case, nothing in your response here actually addresses the suggestions in the OP.

....the undue burden to the fundamental right to vote voter ID laws represent.
The suggestions in the OP do not create a burden.

So, why do you object to these suggestions?
M14, if there is NO PURPOSE for the gvt issued photo id to be shown at the polls, then WHY DO YOU WANT IT?

Citizens are required to provide proper ID when they first register to vote: state issued photo ID, birth certificate, etc – no one takes issue with that requirement.

But once lawfully registered to vote and as long as the citizen votes in every election and keeps his registration valid, the burden shifts solely to the state to produce the evidence that the voter is attempting to commit fraud by identity, and absent that evidence the state must respect the fundamental right to vote and allow the voter to cast his ballot based on his affirmation; and that must be an actual ballot counted immediately, not a provisional ballot.

What nonsense.

What you are saying is that the government can require a person to show a photo ID to register to vote, but that requiring a photo ID at the polling place to make sure that said person's voter identity is not violated is wrong.

Do you Progs ever THINK?

That isn't what he said.

The OP will be hard pressed to find any liberals who are opposed to free and readily available means of voter identification. Especially a straight-forward plan that is national in nature. We show ID to register. It isn't an unusual thing.

The opposition to the voter suppression laws that are making it through the legislatures of red states is that they prevent eligible voters from exercising their right to vote.

The idea that liberals somehow condone the act of voter fraud is bullshit of the highest order.
It should not be national in nature.

The Constitution gives the power to conduct elections to the states.

Yeah....that's cool.

Now what problem do you have with a national voter ID system?

I'm going to guess that you can't verbalize it.
I am not a Republican, but in NO WAY do I think the Federal gvt should make it a requirement for us to have a National database and national ID.

The state already has the information in the voter registration - this only adds a picture - which almost all of have for our state ID, driver's license, carry permits -- or a fingerprint., which is more or less the same thing. There's little to no expansion in that regard here.

Little to no expense? From a government that spent $1Billion on a website that doesn't work?

Great! Then let them spend money providing photo IDs for people who can't afford them.
Works for me

Provide readily accessible locations to get IDs. Post offices, libraries, local school
For those having difficulty producing acceptable documentation, assign them a government advocate to help locate birth certificates or other required documentation

In CA, low income people can get a state photo ID for $8 through the DMV. If someone is too stupid to figure out how to apply for it, then said person is too stupid to function in society.
Why should anyone have to pay to vote?
It is a basic right of all citizens. Why DMV? DMV is accessible to drivers not those without a car.
It s not that people are too stupid but lack proper documentation. If they don't have documentation, dedicate someone in the government to help them get it

Works for me

Given the level of voter apathy created by the conservative assault on education in this country.......8 bucks and the time needed to fish out documents ( provided they exist ) is enough for some potential voters to just say "fuck it!".

Throw that in with restrictions on voting times, inaccessible locations and lengthy lines and you got yourself some voter suppression

Citizens are required to provide proper ID when they first register to vote: state issued photo ID, birth certificate, etc – no one takes issue with that requirement.

But once lawfully registered to vote and as long as the citizen votes in every election and keeps his registration valid, the burden shifts solely to the state to produce the evidence that the voter is attempting to commit fraud by identity, and absent that evidence the state must respect the fundamental right to vote and allow the voter to cast his ballot based on his affirmation; and that must be an actual ballot counted immediately, not a provisional ballot.

What nonsense.

What you are saying is that the government can require a person to show a photo ID to register to vote, but that requiring a photo ID at the polling place to make sure that said person's voter identity is not violated is wrong.

Do you Progs ever THINK?

That isn't what he said.

It most certainly is. The "burden of proof" falls on the state which must accept the voter's "AFFIRMATION" of his identity.

Affirmation means that lying liars who lie can get away with it.

The OP will be hard pressed to find any liberals who are opposed to free and readily available means of voter identification. Especially a straight-forward plan that is national in nature. We show ID to register. It isn't an unusual thing.

The opposition to the voter suppression laws that are making it through the legislatures of red states is that they prevent eligible voters from exercising their right to vote.

The idea that liberals somehow condone the act of voter fraud is bullshit of the highest order.
ok....then how do all these people who want to vote,but dont have any id's, register to vote,to be eligible?...

Phone bill. Utility bill. Other firms of ID. It isn't that complicated and since the reward for voter fraud isn't worth the risk........you don't have too many people thinking about it.

The idea that there is some organized effort on the part of liberals to get ineligible people to vote and...thereby steal elections....is bullshit of the highest order. This is where a guy like you should part ways with the other nutters here.
ok so i show a utility bill.....how do i prove im the guy on the bill?....i parted ways with you nutters on both sides 20 years ago....what are you waiting for?....

1: Register to vote, get your picture taken. That picture goes into a database, similar to that of the BMV, if not the same one. When you show up to vote w/ your state issued photo ID. the poll workers go to the database, check you against the picture in the database, and then give you a ballot. If there is any question among the poll workers, you get a provisional ballot to be verified later.

2: Register to vote, get your thumbprint scanned. When you show up to vote w/o your state-issued picture ID,. you run your thumb over the scanner and given a green/red light to vote. A red light might be an error, so you cast a provisional ballot to be verified later.

This eliminates any cost to or burden on a low-income voter and therefore eliminates any argument regarding discrimination against same for political purposes.

What say ye?

I say whatever it takes to shut the RW's the fuck up o they can move on to another irrelevant talking point and carp about THAT until anyone with an IQ over 70 pukes and passes out listening to them.

What nonsense.

Do you Progs ever THINK?

That isn't what he said.

It most certainly is. The "burden of proof" falls on the state which must accept the voter's "AFFIRMATION" of his identity.

Affirmation means that lying liars who lie can get away with it.
Affirmation means if they are lying they go to prison
Quite a deterrent

It should not be national in nature.

The Constitution gives the power to conduct elections to the states.

Yeah....that's cool.

Now what problem do you have with a national voter ID system?

I'm going to guess that you can't verbalize it.
I am not a Republican, but in NO WAY do I think the Federal gvt should make it a requirement for us to have a National database and national ID.

I'm referring to uniform standards for voter eligibility. That conspiracy shit can be handled. It has been thus far. It is handled in other countries with national voting standards.

What say ye?
I think we should eliminate early voting, require a notarized statement for absentee voting, and demand a photo ID.

If you aren't civic minded enough to get to the polls on election day, fuck you, you shouldn't be voting anyway.
i have been voting by mail for years....if you have a problem with that then fuck you....in my job you just could not leave to go and vote....

Works for me

Why should anyone have to pay to vote?
It is a basic right of all citizens. Why DMV? DMV is accessible to drivers not those without a car.
It s not that people are too stupid but lack proper documentation. If they don't have documentation, dedicate someone in the government to help them get it
People live in this country without Bank Accounts and without gvt issued photo ids....why do you think that there are so many check cashing places in the poorest parts of town? It amazes me that people on this board are so uppity, that they don't even know this....? Not everybody has "the good life" and easy street and drives and owns a car...or even has access to a car....again, you'd think they would be aware of this...? Or maybe they ARE aware of this and this is why they are insisting on these hurdles for citizens to have to jump over....they just don't want all citizens to easily be able to vote, like they can.

Last edited:

Works for me

many of them say fuck it just having to get up off their fat asses just to go to the polls anyway....

If the government forced everyone to get ID cards the RW's would GO INSANE bitching about BIGGER GOVERNMENT ... now the MORONS are begging for BIGGER GOVENRMENT... these idiots keep telling everyone the government can't fix jack, but the government can fix something THEY believe is screwed up.

Morons.

ok....then how do all these people who want to vote,but dont have any id's, register to vote,to be eligible?...

Phone bill. Utility bill. Other firms of ID. It isn't that complicated and since the reward for voter fraud isn't worth the risk........you don't have too many people thinking about it.

The idea that there is some organized effort on the part of liberals to get ineligible people to vote and...thereby steal elections....is bullshit of the highest order. This is where a guy like you should part ways with the other nutters here.
ok so i show a utility bill.....how do i prove im the guy on the bill?....i parted ways with you nutters on both sides 20 years ago....what are you waiting for?....

I think possessing a utility bill for the name and address that is listed on the voter roll is suitable and signing in is sufficient.

You have not parted ways, pal. You think there is enough voter fraud in the US to warrant legislation. That is a nutter POV. Plain and simple.

Works for me

many of them say fuck it just having to get up off their fat asses just to go to the polls anyway....

True. Which is why they won't bust their ass and risk prison in order to vote in someone else's name.

Thinking. It works.

What say ye?
I think we should eliminate early voting, require a notarized statement for absentee voting, and demand a photo ID.

If you aren't civic minded enough to get to the polls on election day, fuck you, you shouldn't be voting anyway.
i have been voting by mail for years....if you have a problem with that then fuck you....in my job you just could not leave to go and vote....

If you are OK with voting by mail...you basically have to be against voter photo ID laws. Right?

Photo ID doesn't stop non-citizens from voting. We give Drivers Licenses to legal residents and in some states to illegal infiltrators.

The system really needs to be redesigned from the ground up. We need to link citizenship to photo ID and to state residence.

Forum List

Back