Volunteer work....

Rambunctious

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2010
I just signed up to volunteer for Samaritans Purse in their construction group... I have the time and the skills so I feel guilty to not help... not just to send a check but to fly or drive to where they need me to lend a hand for people affected by the storms...
Those people have lost everything... they need our help....

I just signed up to volunteer for Samaritans Purse in their construction group... I have the time and the skills so I feel guilty to not help... not just to send a check but to fly or drive to where they need me to lend a hand for people affected by the storms...
I go the check rout. The materials and supplies they can buy with the money I send is worth more to them than the labor I might offer.

I help out a (service head injury) disabled vet who cleans-up around the pawn shop.

Just little shit like taking him here and there, inviting him to supper every now and again, and such....Other regular patrons of the shop do the same. We look out for him. It keeps him out of a group home too. The shop owner manages his VA money, pays his rent, etc..

I bet I've bought him a baker's dozen bicycles at yard sales over the years.

He will go somewhere, park it, then forget he rode it and walk back.....Of course it's usually gone when we go hunt for it. Sometimes he doesn't remember where he even parked it.

LOL....I was headed to the pawn shop one morning and saw one of the bikes I got him parked out in front of the bank. I figured he went in to get change for the shop owner as he often does and I went on to the shop and there was Charlie sweeping-up outside.....Yep, he went to get change but walked back. I drove back and got the bike for him.

You really don't need to go out of your way much to make a bit of a difference right where you live. That and you see the ongoing results.

It is a good organization, I have done work with them over the years.

Good work. It is noble to help others with your time and effort if you can. I've worked numerous volunteer positions including through a church years ago (though I wasn't overly religious at the time). It is good for ones soul.

Best of luck to you. Hope it is a rewarding and beneficial endeavor. We have a similar local organization that travels all over the country helping out in natural disasters. It is organized by multiple churches. I know I saw where they went to California not long ago. I am sure they will put together for other places for these tornadoes. We donate to them from time to time. I used to build on habitat houses locally a lot, but just sort of tired of it all.

Forum List

Back