Volt sales tripple in 2012

And GM profits go to the UAW, with losses coming from the U.S. Taxpayer.

I agree with you about taxpayer burden, although one could argue easily that we have spent many more tax dollars to support (highly profitable) US oil companies.

As to the UAW, I 'm less sure. It seems to me that corporate largesse typically goes more to executive management than to labor.

Stepping back though, GM has not always been so unprofitable:

P1-BE726A_GM_ju_G_20120205183921.jpg

It looks like electric cars are going to die quietly. Volt is kept alive by the government so it could cough along for a few more months.

It looks like electric cars are going to die quietly. Volt is kept alive by the government so it could cough along for a few more months.

I don't agree at all, and neither do most people who watch automobile trends for a living. For example, this article (What's in store for electric cars in 2013? | Digital Trends) states:

"The electric car is still an uncertain prospect. EVs are gaining momentum but, as with any new technology, they will not gain universal acceptance overnight.

Judging by the number of available nameplates, the EV segment is exploding. Since the Nissan Leaf went on sale in December 2010, 11 new models have reached showrooms, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Additional models are slated to hit the road in the next few years, while others have been released in limited numbers as part of test or car sharing programs."

Just to see where this can go, have a look here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCdP6sMN9k]Tesla Model S Performance vs Dodge Viper SRT10 Drag Racing 1/4 Mile - YouTube[/ame]

Can this Volt tow a 15K pound boat? Four wheel drive?
Or is it a sissy-mobile.

Pretty costly.

Who's buying these?

Elite, rich fucks?

I'm on my nook si I can't give a link but it's over. Car makers are scrapping production of electric cars and stopping further research. Some are going in the direction of fuel cell development. It is over. Probably because the batteries are so dangerous.

I'm on my nook si I can't give a link but it's over. Car makers are scrapping production of electric cars and stopping further research. Some are going in the direction of fuel cell development. It is over. Probably because the batteries are so dangerous.

Plug in charge electric is stupid. No range and batteries will NEVER be sufficient to power one. This is why technology like hydrogen cells are the real future. The problem is that hydrogen is just a bit on the dangerous side - think "Hindenburg." Some asshole texting on the 405 slams into a the fuel cell of a fancy Tesla, and FOOOMP, there goes Semi Valley in a bright fire ball.... :eek::eek::eek:

I can't figure out why the right hates a great American industry? Do they only support Japan, Korea, and Germany with their car purchases? Japan has always worked with government to provide products, the American right thinks some magical free market exists which magically creates products and purchasers. Right wingnuts have such a low regard for American made one wonders why they don't move to the lands they support.

Buy American = "Because Ford, GM and Chrysler conduct far more of their research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly work in the U.S. than foreign automakers do, buying a Ford, GM, or Chrysler supports almost three times as many jobs as buying the average foreign automobile. Some comparisons are even more striking. Buying a Ford supports 3.5 times more jobs than buying a Hyundai. Comparing a Honda and a Hyundai? Buying a Honda supports more than 2 times more jobs." The Level Field Institute

Bumper stickers I'd like to see.

Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.
Our children, our grandchildren, ourselves require we support each other, buy American.
Buy American and Thumbs up!

MadeInUSA - Home- Recycling American Dollars Through Patriotic Spending
How Americans Can Buy American
American Made Products Directory - Made in USA, United States Manufacturers
THE AMERICAN LIST | A Continuous Lean.
Shirts Made in USA by the All American Clothing Co
Clothing Made in the USA - American and Unionmade Clothing by All USA Clothing
Travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. The best materials and innovative construction since 1972 - TomBihn.com
http://toddshelton.com/
Case Knives - Handcrafting pocket knives in the USA since 1889.

I wouldn't consider myself as part of The Right or The Left, but since anything else but two choices appears to confuse you, go ahead and consider me on "The Right."

No doubt it should delight you to know I bought a Lincoln MKS. American Made, and gets about 17 mph.

17MPG from that little car? That's...well, frankly, that is appallingly bad!

Think that if it give you comfort, you silly kniggit.

The fact is the Volt is an Epic Failure, and the government and its corporate cronies are artificially propping up sales.

They did the same thing when the government bailed out Chrysler a few decades ago. Remember the K Car? The government bought a ton of them

So did everyone else! K-cars were HUGE...and the K-car was the basis for a vehicle that literally created a market segment: the minivan.

Excuse the commercial interruption from your conversation.

Since we all are Americans that support things like energy conservation and domestic jobs, you'll enjoy this recent report from the DOE:

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/electric_vehicles/pdfs/eveverywhere_blueprint.pdf

Don't hold back on your support and thoughtful comments.

P.S. I bought my Volt three years ago, replacing a BMW 540i Sport. Hands down, it is THE best car that I've ever owned.

Do you get your Kool-Aid by the drum or in bulk right from the tanker?

Chevy Volt sales triple - Jan. 3, 2013

It will be interesting to hear the RW Loons trash this...

What an mental case.........as per usual................

Sales of electric vehicles are in the shitter................

EV sales off to slow start in 2013 | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Dont forget.........any time a far lefty in here posts up some bogus stats on anything, it is rare it is put into context in terms of "As compared to what?". Think about it.........if a chick announces that her boobs have doubled in size after a boob job, only an egghead is impresssed. The more important question is, "What were they to begin with?"

Even hybrid sales continue to shrink since 2007...................

graph hybrid vehicle sales 2007-2012 - Bing Images

All these little gay cars will continue to be a niche market in America, just like renewables.

Last edited:
Chevy Volt sales triple - Jan. 3, 2013

It will be interesting to hear the RW Loons trash this...

Nothing to trash this line from the article say's it all.
While it's an impressive jump, the Volt is still one of Chevy's lowest-selling cars.
However if that is not enough there was also this from article.
More than half of all Volt sales are in California
And finally again from the article this.
Regardless of the good news, Libby said, it still bears remembering that sales of the Volt, which is now the best-selling plug-in car in America, are still miniscule compared to most other cars. In 2012, Chevrolet dealers sold almost exactly 10 times as many of the Chevrolet Cruze, the gasoline powered car on which the Volt is based.

I don't agree at all, and neither do most people who watch automobile trends for a living. For example, this article (What's in store for electric cars in 2013? | Digital Trends) states:

"The electric car is still an uncertain prospect. EVs are gaining momentum but, as with any new technology, they will not gain universal acceptance overnight.

Judging by the number of available nameplates, the EV segment is exploding. Since the Nissan Leaf went on sale in December 2010, 11 new models have reached showrooms, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Additional models are slated to hit the road in the next few years, while others have been released in limited numbers as part of test or car sharing programs."

Just to see where this can go, have a look here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCdP6sMN9k]Tesla Model S Performance vs Dodge Viper SRT10 Drag Racing 1/4 Mile - YouTube[/ame]

Quarter mile races are cute but they don't tell the whole story. Let's take a look at how a Tesla would fare at the 24 Hours of Le Man shall we? Based on the figures for hard usage it would manage 6.4 trips around the course before you would have to change the 980 pound battery pack. Given a 3000 mile distance covered (we are assuming it could actually make it) that means it would need 460 battery packs. I am giving them credit for being able to recharge 8 packs to keep the numbers more favorable to you.

Now 460 times 980 is 225.4 tons of batteries alone. That doesn't include tire wear or any of the other things that will wear out in a race of that type. That weight of fuel equals 74, 230 GALLONS of gasoline. I wonder how many cars that would feed for the race?

You guys really should come out from under your rocks. ALL car sales dropped preciptously in 2008 and 2009:

AnnualAutoSalesUS-CHart.jpg

More recent data speak volumes (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...rge-in-u-s-hybrid-sales-on-way-to-record.html):

"Ford Motor Co. (F), which has introduced five new electric-powered models in the past year, expects its sales of hybrid vehicles to surge by fivefold in January to start a record year for the company."

GM is releasing the Cadilac ELR (based on the Chevy Volt) in the next few months:

2014-Cadillac-ELR-018-medium-e1359584276254.jpg

Last edited:
You guys really should come out from under your rocks. ALL car sales dropped preciptously in 2008 and 2009:

AnnualAutoSalesUS-CHart.jpg

More recent data speak volumes (Ford Sees Fivefold Surge in U.S. Hybrid Sales on Way to Record - Bloomberg):

"Ford Motor Co. (F), which has introduced five new electric-powered models in the past year, expects its sales of hybrid vehicles to surge by fivefold in January to start a record year for the company."

GM is releasing the Cadilac ELR (based on the Chevy Volt) in the next few months:

2014-Cadillac-ELR-018-medium-e1359584276254.jpg

Yes HYBRIDS, can do well. Pure EV's not so much...

I have yet to see a Volt on the road. Just one. I'm on the freeways all the time. I've seen two Nissan Leafs and a POTLOAD of Prius'. But not one single Volt. There are more Prius' than any other car. Sometimes the 405 looks like a Prius car lot.

Hybrid sales are booming. The car companies need to concentrate more on hybrids, at least for the near term. The thing about all electrics is that we need these car companies to continue making them, so they can improve the process. As they do, and as batteries can be made cheaper, the cost of all electrics will go down. Without the R&D and continued development of these vehicles, it will take much longer for them to become affordable to average Americans.

Forum List

Back