Volkswagen id.r Super ELECTRIC Car

Wow! I'm really surprised by this thread! I thought electric cars were all slower than petrol cars! :omg:
Not at all. They are more than capable of the speeds attained by the cars with ancient technology under the hood. Plus, electric motors need very little maintenance, don't pollute, last years longer, make much less noise, don't need transmissions and can be left for long periods without deterioration. For these reasons and more, they are opposed by auto makers, oil companies and the legislators who work for them. That also explains those who rant against them, as well as the negative publicity.
By the way, hope you're well.
Hi there4eyeM :hhello:
I feel ok thanks! Hope you're well too :)
Thank you, "Dear Heart". I'm in good health and spirits, getting in a few kilometers per day on the permitted exercise outings here. Things are calm as we wait out this 'storm'.
Take care.

One negative of electric cars is their limited driving range in cold weather. At freezing temperatures their driving distance between charges is half or less then at ambient temperatures. I can't envision a lot of electric cars being sold in the northern states or Canada. ... :cool:

Wow! I'm really surprised by this thread! I thought electric cars were all slower than petrol cars! :omg:
Not at all. They are more than capable of the speeds attained by the cars with ancient technology under the hood. Plus, electric motors need very little maintenance, don't pollute, last years longer, make much less noise, don't need transmissions and can be left for long periods without deterioration. For these reasons and more, they are opposed by auto makers, oil companies and the legislators who work for them. That also explains those who rant against them, as well as the negative publicity.
Thank you, "Dear Heart". I'm in good health and spirits, getting in a few kilometers per day on the permitted exercise outings here. Things are calm as we wait out this 'storm'.
Take care.
:smiliehug:

Enviro nuts keep pushing electric cars as a way to save the planet.

Ignoring the fact of the massive amount of mining that will be required to get the minerals out of the ground to make the batteries. Many of which are not abundant and will prove to be costly in the future.

And then there is the pollution factor of all those used batteries. Which are very toxic and will become a landfill and ground water nightmare as more electric cars are pushed on the public. ... :cool:

Last edited:
Take care.
:smiliehug:
I don't deserve it!

Enviro nuts keep pushing electric cars as a way to save the planet.

Ignoring the fact of the massive amount of mining that will be required to get the minerals out of the ground to make the batteries. Many of which are not abundant and will prove to be costly in the future.

And then there is the pollution factor of all those used batteries. Which are very toxic and will become a landfill and ground water nightmare as more electric cars are pushed on the public. ... :cool:
Tit for tat.
I suppose that catalytic converter on your car is exempt?

"But such autocatalysts turn out to have a dangerous drawback and can create a huge problem in the future: Particles of the metals can be leached from the catalyst by the gas flow, leading to the contamination of the atmosphere, soil and surface water by heavy metals (Pt, Pd, Rh)."

The race car without a race?
The VW electric race car is amazing. It won Pikes Peak in less than 8 minutes. It set the fastest lap time at Nuburgring. It smokes the McLaren 720S.
And it may kill Formula 1.

Just watched the pikes peak climb and a couple of things struck me as odd. Firstly its awfully loud for and electric and sounds more like a high rpm four popper. Secondly why does it sound like its changing gears. Electric motors produce max torque immediately from zero rpm so no transmission should be required.

This may help you understand more:

1585157697334.png

^^^^^ What does showing a picture of a bunch of gears and shafts setting on a table supposed to prove?

Besides, you claimed the VW race car was loud because it has straight cut gears. Those aren't straight cut gears in the picture. ... :cool:

Bullshit. The very same charscterics that made electric cars impractical then make them impractical today and that is simple range. Another thing that holds them back is the lack of infrastructure to keep them charged. We lack enough energy grid to power society as it is now must less one with all electric cars.
Before electric cars cakn make practical sense we first need to address our insufficient power grid and I don't mean with idiotic impractical bullshit like solar and wind but something that would truly address the problem like safe, clean and abundant nuclear energy from thorium. Not the extremely stupid and dangerous light water uranium fueled reactors we built inorder to make nuclear weapons materials available. Try looking up and schooling yourselves on thorium and LFTR technology before you ever utter another word about solar or wind energy or electric cars.

^^^^^ What does showing a picture of a bunch of gears and shafts setting on a table supposed to prove?

Besides, you claimed the VW race car was loud because it has straight cut gears. Those aren't straight cut gears in the picture. ... :cool:
It wasn't intended (the pic) to be, either. It was about the road car drivetrain. Pay attention. Not here to fight over trivial BS.

Hydrogen and electricity are the future. That may mean abandoning the past dependence on filthy oil from the ground.

I am in no way a fan electric cars. They have been around since the late 1890's, and there were several companies producing them for the next 3 decades until they finally folded due to low sales.

Electric cars still have the same basic limitations electric cars had 100 years ago. High purchase price, limited range, expensive to replace the batteries, terrible used car resale, difficult to find charging stations outside of the city, and excessive battery charging time. ... :cool:

I am in no way a fan electric cars. They have been around since the late 1890's, and there were several companies producing them for the next 3 decades until they finally folded due to low sales.

Electric cars still have the same basic limitations electric cars had 100 years ago. High purchase price, limited range, expensive to replace the batteries, terrible used car resale, difficult to find charging stations outside of the city, and excessive battery charging time. ... :cool:
Like handheld calculators and digital watches. Pricey at 1st, then out of nowhere, they are everywhere and guess what?

Forum List

Back