Virtual Reality In Syria Shows The Scale Of Destruction In Aleppo

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
A once beautiful city is now in ruins, as is so much of Syria. If this conflict ever ends, it will take years and tons of money to bring these cities back.

Justin Salhani

World Reporter at ThinkProgress focusing on human rights — email [email protected]
Aug 175 min read
Virtual Reality In Syria Shows The Scale Of Destruction In Aleppo
You run inside a nearby concrete building, as the regime targets an area it bombed just minutes earlier.

1*no8pg9vtwTmSA-ui4mtlxg.jpeg

Syrians help an injured man, center, after airstrikes hit Aleppo, Syria, July 31, 2016. CREDIT: ALEPPO MEDIA CENTER/AP

BEIRUT, LEBANON — A man in paramedic clothing just to my left drills into the rubble of a building destroyed by an airstrike in Syria’s biggest city of Aleppo. On my right, another man uses a mallet to break the thick, collapsed concrete walls. These aren’t the best tools to use to look for survivors, but these are the best tools available in a city that has been repeatedly bombed by the Russian Air Force in collaboration with the Syrian government.

Aleppo is 370 kilometers (230 miles) from Beirut, but a team of journalists, producers, and NGOs have worked tirelessly to produce two videos that put you in the shoes of the Syrian Civil Defense — a group of volunteers widely referred to as the White Helmets who perform similar duties to the Red Cross — and a local journalist, working in extremely testing circumstances.

The project was produced by UNESCO in partnership with The Association for the Support of Free Media and the Syrian SMART News Agency. The French group Association for the Support of Free Media and the Samir Kassir Foundation, a Lebanese organization focusing on press freedom, brought this project to Beirut’s Riviera Hotel for a few days this week.

Continue reading at:

Virtual Reality In Syria Shows Full Scale Destruction Of Aleppo – ThinkProgress

tragic images brings back old memories.

I hope this does not go on for 15 or 20 yrs like Lebanon.

Do you think Lebanon is stable enough right now?

I was hoping to visit Beirut.

And the awful latest footage of Aleppo as I switched on the news today.

Truly dreadful.

My brother just came back from Beït Ed Dîne.
Fighting is not a concern. There are flairs is particular areas from time to time but as a tourist there should be no problem.
The mood of the people over political issues and the lack of a president and cabinet ministers is something only parliament can resolve.
Just don't go too far south into hezbullah territory or too far west towards the syrian border.

Truly dreadful.

Fighting is not a concern. There are flairs is particular areas from time to time but as a tourist there should be no problem.
The mood of the people over political issues and the lack of a president and cabinet ministers is something only parliament can resolve.
Just don't go too far south into hezbullah territory or too far west towards the syrian border.

I'd have to go there first, before Israel, because of the entry stamps in my passport.

Truly dreadful.

I'd have to go there first, before Israel, because of the entry stamps in my passport.

sadly that still is in place, but many have had no problem also traveling back and forth from arab and Israel.

Truly dreadful.

sadly that still is in place, but many have had no problem also traveling back and forth from arab and Israel.

If I went to Israel first, they wouldn't let me in, to Lebanon?

Truly dreadful.

Possibly not. Journalist, officials, etc. might get through by technically those who have gone to israel are not supposed to enter Lebanon.
I traveled with my grandmother to jordan and took a bus to Jerusalem so as not to have a stamp in my passport.
Now, if you have two passports, no problem. Report a lost passport and have a new one issued.
You still cannot travel directly and would have to go to Cyprus or Jordan first. There is not direct air flight, boat cruise or road travel between Lebanon and Israel.

It might seem silly but the countries are technically at war on paper, at least in the government of Lebanon's mind. Hezbullah wouldn't allow a change yet.

If Bashir has lived, all this would now have been history.

Truly dreadful.

Possibly not. Journalist, officials, etc. might get through by technically those who have gone to israel are not supposed to enter Lebanon.
I traveled with my grandmother to jordan and took a bus to Jerusalem so as not to have a stamp in my passport.
Now, if you have two passports, no problem. Report a lost passport and have a new one issued.
You still cannot travel directly and would have to go to Cyprus or Jordan first. There is not direct air flight, boat cruise or road travel between Lebanon and Israel.

It might seem silly but the countries are technically at war on paper, at least in the government of Lebanon's mind. Hezbullah wouldn't allow a change yet.

If Bashir has lived, all this would now have been history.

I would be flying from Cyprus. Two separate visits, Beirut first, so as no aggravation with passport. Even then, they'd question me at Tel Aviv.

And then there's the problem with American immigration. I was profiled last year, because of Marrakech entry and exit stamps.

Forum List

Back