Virginia to close four prisons, reassume control of sole private prison

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
The Virginia Department of Corrections will close four prisons and take control of the state’s only privately operated prison this summer, officials said Friday.

Augusta Correctional Center, Sussex II State Prison, Haynesville Correctional Unit #17 and Stafford Community Corrections Alternative Program (the old Unit #21) will close July 1, 2024. The department said the closures are intended “to enhance employee, inmate, and probationer safety, to address longstanding staffing challenges, and in consideration of significant ongoing maintenance costs.”

That's roughly 3700 level 3-4 (medium-high) convict beds the VDOC will have to shuffle around the state.

Given the low pay (43K to start) I don't see them doing any better as far as staff retention.

At least they are taking back Lawrenceville from GEO Group.....That arrangement has always sucked.

I wonder if anyone is studying how to run jails and prisons (not the same thing) with a "better" inmate to staff ratio. The endemic issues are obvious...can't pay enough to attract desirable CO's, bad people incarcerated, etc.

The Virginia Department of Corrections will close four prisons and take control of the state’s only privately operated prison this summer, officials said Friday.

Augusta Correctional Center, Sussex II State Prison, Haynesville Correctional Unit #17 and Stafford Community Corrections Alternative Program (the old Unit #21) will close July 1, 2024. The department said the closures are intended “to enhance employee, inmate, and probationer safety, to address longstanding staffing challenges, and in consideration of significant ongoing maintenance costs.”

That's roughly 3700 level 3-4 (medium-high) convict beds the VDOC will have to shuffle around the state.

Given the low pay (43K to start) I don't see them doing any better as far as staff retention.

At least they are taking back Lawrenceville from GEO Group.....That arrangement has always sucked.
Private, for profit prisons were a bad idea from day one.

I wonder if anyone is studying how to run jails and prisons (not the same thing) with a "better" inmate to staff ratio. The endemic issues are obvious...can't pay enough to attract desirable CO's, bad people incarcerated, etc.
Hell, I seen the state close older prisons just to be able to sell the land.....I suspect that is the case with the Stafford (old Unit 21) facility.

That Unit sits on about 100 acres all surrounded by 500K+ homes now.

Who needs prisons when they refuse to arrest criminals?

As awful as prison is, could you imagine being locked up in a privately run prison? I read about one that basically hired gang members to be prison staff, and the weird thing is, maybe that is the best way to control these inmates? We are running out of room to warehouse all the violent criminals in this country, perhaps we need to find a place like the British did with Australia to warehouse our inmates. Don't we already have a Supermax on Gitmo? Those Arabs there have paid their debt, sitting in on team meetings means many have already done more time than actual murderers.

Perfect opportunity to reclaim this space for hardened criminals/mass murderers. Pay the Cubans to run it.

Who needs prisons when they refuse to arrest criminals?
Virginia is a bit different in that regard....Even in uber-liberal (and white) NOtVA if you fuck around, you find out.

As a example you can cross any bridge out of DC or MD into Virginia and the crime rate drops four-fold or better.

They fund their JBTs to the max....A Fairfax Co. PD job is the most sought after PD job in the country. They are paid almost twice as much as a Virginia State Trooper, same with their jailers.

That said in the liberal "ethically challenged" areas of the Norfolk area it's about like any other black-run dem shit hole area.

In Tennessee, I've heard cops in the Memphis area say that people come up there from Mississippi to commit crimes, because if they do the same in their state, they know they will automatically end up in prison, in Memphis, they'll be out in no time. Sounds great, and then you realize that Parchman is the worst prison in the U.S., there was even a series about how bad this prison is on A&E, same goes for Alabama, worst prisons in the U.S. in these two states.

Locking up and neglecting criminals to the fate of the convicts can end up making more hardened criminals, basically a crime factory.

If the guards were able to beat the living snot out of these thugs ever so often, the job wouldn't be to bad. Prisoners run the prisons. They got time to run their own gangs, make drugs and booze. They can rape people and get away with it.

It's no wonder the recidivism is so high.

You know if people brag about doing time in prison, after they get out, then prison life wasn't hard enough.

Forum List

Back