Prison Telecom Giant Offers Aid to Prisoners—for a Price

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
As prisons and jails nationwide suspend visitations to slow the spread of COVID-19, the country’s largest private providers of communications services to inmates are being lauded by corrections officials for offering to help a vulnerable population stay in touch with family and friends.

In a March 17 press release, for example, Oregon’s Department of Corrections announced a partnership with communications service provider Global Tel Link (GTL) to offer all adults in custody two five-minute phone calls per week for the next 30 days.

The agency praised GTL “for this act of understanding, support, and compassion during this difficult time … Efforts to maintain family connections between those incarcerated and their loved ones are essential, especially in stressful times.”

But while mass layoffs and imminent business closures sweep the country, prison telecom companies like GTL and its closest rival Securus will continue to reap nationwide profits from mass incarceration—with one federal lawmaker calling their crisis support efforts a “hollow corporate altruism campaign.”

Both companies, which control the lion’s share of the $1.2 billion prison telecom market,

are owned by private equity firms that have helped concentrate corporate power in prisons through debt-fueled buyouts and mergers.

This crap irritates the hell out of me because they literally cannot be fought.

As prisons and jails nationwide suspend visitations to slow the spread of COVID-19, the country’s largest private providers of communications services to inmates are being lauded by corrections officials for offering to help a vulnerable population stay in touch with family and friends.

In a March 17 press release, for example, Oregon’s Department of Corrections announced a partnership with communications service provider Global Tel Link (GTL) to offer all adults in custody two five-minute phone calls per week for the next 30 days.

The agency praised GTL “for this act of understanding, support, and compassion during this difficult time … Efforts to maintain family connections between those incarcerated and their loved ones are essential, especially in stressful times.”

But while mass layoffs and imminent business closures sweep the country, prison telecom companies like GTL and its closest rival Securus will continue to reap nationwide profits from mass incarceration—with one federal lawmaker calling their crisis support efforts a “hollow corporate altruism campaign.”

Both companies, which control the lion’s share of the $1.2 billion prison telecom market,

are owned by private equity firms that have helped concentrate corporate power in prisons through debt-fueled buyouts and mergers.

I'm confused.

Why is this bad? This is the second time in two days, that someone has done something good, and people decried it. How can you possibly look at this as bad?

I'm confused.

Why is this bad? This is the second time in two days, that someone has done something good, and people decried it. How can you possibly look at this as bad?

The amount of fees and the level of bullshittery that goes into getting them.

I'm confused.

Ok, so here's my take, and you are free to disagree.

1. Under government run prisons, the cost to run phone lines, and operate them was a burden on the public. The very people being abused and harmed by criminals, were paying the price so criminals could call people, and setup drug operations after they got out of prison. (yes I know they monitor phones now, but for a long time they didn't).

Now, the burden for being in prison, is on the prisoners.... which in my opinion, is where it should be.

They committed the crime. Not me. Why should I pay for his phone calls?

2. After carefully reading your article, the way that the system as always worked, is that people (usually family I would assume), deposit money in a pre-pay account. That's how anyone would do it, when dealing with criminals.

Now under normal conditions, they only get to use the phone, for as much as they put money in. Right? That's how any pre-paid cell phone works, or phone card works.

However, now they are offering free phone calls, if you deposit more than the minimum $25.

Before, no free phone calls, no matter how much you pre-pay. Now 1 or 2 free phone calls.

Again... before no free phone calls. Now 1 or 2 free phone calls.

They don't have to offer any free phone calls. But they are.

How is this bad?

3. You appear to be getting angry at the company. In my opinion this is not a valid contention. The company isn't doing anything, but operating exactly how the state dictates they act. This is a government controlled contract.

The government signed this contract, limiting phone service to a single company. The government signed a contract on how the pre-pay accounts work. The government signed this contract making it a monopoly.

The company isn't doing anything, that the government didn't put under their care.

In fact the only thing the company is doing, that isn't under government contract..... is offering 1 or 2 free phone calls for $5 or $10 deposits.

Honestly, this is like having a buy one, get one free promotions, and then claiming one free isn't enough. Ok, go pay full price then.

4. You said there is nothing you can do. Well actually there is a solution. It just isn't likely to be implemented by the state, because Oregon is a heavily left-wing anti-capitalism system. I highly doubt that they would support free-market capitalism.

But the solution, as always is... to simply undo the monopoly that government created.

In the prison, open up the phone room with 3 banks of phones. Then offer the yearly contracts on the market. With three service providers, each tele-company would have to compete on price at some level.

Now it's never going to be as cheap as retail phone service, because at some level you have a captive audience. However, with competition, the price will fall somewhat. And if one company engages in too expensive offering, the innates would switch to the cheaper company.

However, as I said, Oregon is overwhelmingly leftwing. So the chance they would implement free-market capitalism inside the prison system, not likely. As much as the left-wing claims to be against monopolies and against evil corporations, honestly the left-wing is more in bed with mega-corps, and creating monopolies, than anyone on the right.

I'm confused.

1. Under government run prisons, the cost to run phone lines, and operate them was a burden on the public. The very people being abused and harmed by criminals, were paying the price so criminals could call people, and setup drug operations after they got out of prison. (yes I know they monitor phones now, but for a long time they didn't).

Now, the burden for being in prison, is on the prisoners.... which in my opinion, is where it should be.

2. After carefully reading your article, the way that the system as always worked, is that people (usually family I would assume), deposit money in a pre-pay account. That's how anyone would do it, when dealing with criminals.

Now under normal conditions, they only get to use the phone, for as much as they put money in. Right? That's how any pre-paid cell phone works, or phone card works.

However, now they are offering free phone calls, if you deposit more than the minimum $25.

Before, no free phone calls, no matter how much you pre-pay. Now 1 or 2 free phone calls.

How is this bad?

3. You appear to be getting angry at the company. In my opinion this is not a valid contention. The company isn't doing anything, but operating exactly how the state dictates they act. This is a government controlled contract.

The government signed this contract, limiting phone service to a single company. The government signed a contract on how the pre-pay accounts work. The government signed this contract making it a monopoly.

The company isn't doing anything, that the government didn't put under their care.

In fact the only thing the company is doing, that isn't under government contract..... is offering 1 or 2 free phone calls for $5 or $10 deposits.

Honestly, this is like having a buy one, get one free promotions, and then claiming one free isn't enough. Ok, go pay full price then.

4. You said there is nothing you can do. Well actually there is a solution. It just isn't likely to be implemented by the state, because Oregon is a heavily left-wing anti-capitalism system. I highly doubt that they would support free-market capitalism.

But the solution, as always is... to simply undo the monopoly that government created.

In the prison, open up the phone room with 3 banks of phones. Then offer the yearly contracts on the market. With three service providers, each tele-company would have to compete on price at some level.

Now it's never going to be as cheap as retail phone service, because at some level you have a captive audience. However, with competition, the price will fall somewhat. And if one company engages in too expensive offering, the innates would switch to the cheaper company.

However, as I said, Oregon is overwhelmingly leftwing. So the chance they would implement free-market capitalism inside the prison system, not likely. As much as the left-wing claims to be against monopolies and against evil corporations, honestly the left-wing is more in bed with mega-corps, and creating monopolies, than anyone on the right.

I do disagree with much/not all of what you said. The "left-wing" are actually neo-liberals. They are absolutely fond of corporations and off-shoring and reducing Americans to the lowest wages. I agree with you right there. But this is actually something that goes on nationwide and those on the right can be just as fond of the same.

It's a shitty people thing.

It's never going to be as cheap as retail phone service because the free market isn't free . Prison phone giant GTL gets bigger, again.

Two, I do not like private equity firms. I do not. As a rule, everything they touch becomes a shit show. Just so you know, I do not like outsourcing anything involved in the criminal justice system. Taxpayers are on the hook for lawsuits and we are paying for the services. The only thing that it does is allow those at the county or state level to shift blame as they are't responsible for anything. Also, Oregon like other places got a cut from the profits. So, no there is nothing that you can do. Those same people that wear big sad faces when talking about criminal justice reform are not about to give up that cash.

Now, you are telling me well, it's not that little ol' corporations fault because it was the government that made them do it. They just let all that happen. It's extortion.

I just want to know..........is there anyone in this country that is responsible for anything........at all? Ever?

Sometimes the only thing that keeps people from doing stupid crap while incarcerated is that face to face contact with family. Something to look forward to. Now that is gone. Injuries and lawsuits are also things that come out of tax payers. Staffing becomes a huge issue when COs are injured. You will pay for that.

I'm confused.

How is this bad?

I do disagree with much/not all of what you said. The "left-wing" are actually neo-liberals. They are absolutely fond of corporations and off-shoring and reducing Americans to the lowest wages. I agree with you right there. But this is actually something that goes on nationwide and those on the right can be just as fond of the same.

It's a shitty people thing.

It's never going to be as cheap as retail phone service because the free market isn't free . Prison phone giant GTL gets bigger, again.

Two, I do not like private equity firms. I do not. As a rule, everything they touch becomes a shit show. Just so you know, I do not like outsourcing anything involved in the criminal justice system. Taxpayers are on the hook for lawsuits and we are paying for the services. The only thing that it does is allow those at the county or state level to shift blame as they are't responsible for anything. Also, Oregon like other places got a cut from the profits. So, no there is nothing that you can do. Those same people that wear big sad faces when talking about criminal justice reform are not about to give up that cash.

Now, you are telling me well, it's not that little ol' corporations fault because it was the government that made them do it. They just let all that happen. It's extortion.

I just want to know..........is there anyone in this country that is responsible for anything........at all? Ever?

Sometimes the only thing that keeps people from doing stupid crap while incarcerated is that face to face contact with family. Something to look forward to. Now that is gone. Injuries and lawsuits are also things that come out of tax payers. Staffing becomes a huge issue when COs are injured. You will pay for that.

Well again.. that's the price you pay for being in prison. At least the tax payers are not footing the bill for prisoners phone calls.
Further, I already said it isn't a free market in the prison. Again, government did that. GTL is just a company signing a contract. The government is making the contract.

Are you suggesting that somehow the politicians were 'forced' to sign a contract? I'd like some proof of that.

Again, before this, the tax payers had to pay the bill. Now the prisoners are paying the bill. This is better for us.

Of course. The prisoners are responsible for themselves being in prison. That's their fault, and their responsibility. When you are in prison, phone calls are not cheap.

And the government is responsible for signing the contract with GTL.

Besides that, I'm still not convinced there is anything bad here, to "take responsibility for". What are they taking responsibility for? Offering two free phone calls, when they were not required to offer any free phone calls?

Sometimes the only thing that keeps people from doing stupid crap while incarcerated is that face to face contact with family. Something to look forward to. Now that is gone.

What do you mean "That's gone"? Before this, they had zero free phone calls. Now they can get 2 free phone calls. How exactly is anything "worse" or "gone" now? What is gone, that they had before?

I do not like outsourcing anything involved in the criminal justice system. Taxpayers are on the hook for lawsuits and we are paying for the services.

Well that implies that somehow there is a difference between gov-prisons, and private-prisons. As if tax payers are not on the hook for lawsuits, while we are paying for services from government-run prisons.

We are on the hook for lawsuits filed against government run prisons, just as much as private ones. And we are paying for the services at government run prisons, just like private run prisons.

In fact, just for giggles, I looked up lawsuits against prisons, and the first three articles, were all government run prisons. Admittedly, that isn't scientific, but it makes the point.

So if we are paying for service either way, and if we're on the hook for lawsuits either way... then the question is, which is cheaper to the public?

All the research shows consistently shows that private prisons are run more effectively, and cheaply than state prisons. New Mexico found that private prisons were $9.660 cheaper per prisoner. With 14,700 people in prison, that could save $14 Million dollars or more in savings to the tax payers.

And that's New Mexico, which has a relatively small number of prisoners. So this is a win for tax payers. How about we worry more about the law abiding people, and what is good for them, instead of worrying about the people who harm law abiding people?

Two, I do not like private equity firms. I do not. As a rule, everything they touch becomes a shit show.

Which of the following are "sh!t shows":

The Weather Channel
Dunkin Donuts
Sealy Mattress
Guitar Center
Getty Images
Hertz Rentals
AMC media.
Rent-A-Center
Sirius Radio
Linens n Things
Hostess
ADT security
Neiman Marcus
Vox Media
Uber
Lyft
SquareSpace
Airbnb
Kinkos (now Fedex Office)
Uniroyal Tires
American Greeting
Sally Beauty
Trugreen
Legal Zoom
UFC
Twitter

And the list goes on and on. I selected just a few specific examples of private equity firms direct investments into companies, from only the top 20 private equity firms in the world.

Each of these equity firms, has dozens, some hundreds of more companies they own, than the few I selected. And there are hundreds of other private equity firms, than the top 20.

I think you would be shocked to find out how many of the companies you use on a weekly basis, are owned by, or have been invested in the past, by an investment firm.

The reason you have a negative view of private investment firms, is because you likely have a negative view of capitalism in general, and I wager you only hear about them, when they do something you don't like.

Anyone can be made into a monster, if you only focus on the bad side of them. If you are like me, you likely had this happen in high school, or a job, where people behind your back, told everyone, every mistake you ever made. People who didn't know you, thought badly of you, because the only things about you they ever heard, were negative things.

Or you had someone tell you about someone else, and made them out like a monster, and then you met them, and they were nothing like what you had been convinced of.

Similarly, equity firms are fantastic. Millions of the products you buy, and the services you use, only exist because of investment firms.

The reason people get a negative view, is because often investment firms try and do something that most people do not. They try to save a dying company. If the company is dying, and the owners know it, they will often try and sell out. Investment firms often look for dying companies to buy, that they believe they can turn around. If they turn the company around, a small investment, will turn massive profits.

A key example of this, is the Hilton Hotels. In 2007 during the property value crash, and economic slump, Hilton Hotels were on the verge of bankruptcy. BlackStone Private Equity group purchased Hilton Hotels, and held the company afloat until 2013 when they turned a $12 Billion dollar profit.

So again, my point is this....

Hilton Hotels are still doing fine. The vast vast majority of Private Equity investments, do fine.

This idea that most turn to 'sh!t', is not true. It's just that people only scream when something bad happens. Like Toys'r'Us closing. That wasn't from PEG, that was from the market shifting. A private investment group tried to invest in Toy'r'Us and it didn't work. So you see headlines "PEG desroyed Toys'R'Us"... no it didn't. It was dying already. That's why the owners sold out.

Well again.. that's the price you pay for being in prison. At least the tax payers are not footing the bill for prisoners phone calls.
Further, I already said it isn't a free market in the prison. Again, government did that. GTL is just a company signing a contract. The government is making the contract.

Are you suggesting that somehow the politicians were 'forced' to sign a contract? I'd like some proof of that.

Again, before this, the tax payers had to pay the bill. Now the prisoners are paying the bill. This is better for us.

Nowhere in what I have written is there a suggestion that somehow the politicians were "forced". I called them jackasses in the nicest way possible. You are attempting to create an argument there where none exists.

Of course. The prisoners are responsible for themselves being in prison. That's their fault, and their responsibility. When you are in prison, phone calls are not cheap.

And the government is responsible for signing the contract with GTL.

Besides that, I'm still not convinced there is anything bad here, to "take responsibility for". What are they taking responsibility for? Offering two free phone calls, when they were not required to offer any free phone calls?
Look below.

What do you mean "That's gone"? Before this, they had zero free phone calls. Now they can get 2 free phone calls. How exactly is anything "worse" or "gone" now? What is gone, that they had before?

Visitation was stopped due to COVID-19. So, when they stepped in--in one location.
GTL has managed to subvert its magnanimous offer of free phone calls by using what is often known in the tech world as “dark patterns,” confusing customers into paying more money for the privilege.

Well that implies that somehow there is a difference between gov-prisons, and private-prisons. As if tax payers are not on the hook for lawsuits, while we are paying for services from government-run prisons.

We are on the hook for lawsuits filed against government run prisons, just as much as private ones. And we are paying for the services at government run prisons, just like private run prisons.

In fact, just for giggles, I looked up lawsuits against prisons, and the first three articles, were all government run prisons. Admittedly, that isn't scientific, but it makes the point.

So if we are paying for service either way, and if we're on the hook for lawsuits either way... then the question is, which is cheaper to the public?

Actually, privatized services but ya, I can do privatized prison industry.

You aren't looking in the right places.

Which of the following are "sh!t shows":

Imagine an elderly man stuck in a wheelchair without anyone tending to him, wearing only a blanket over his lower extremities—“no pants, no underpants.”

That horror story of alleged neglect at ManorCare, a chain of nursing homes, comes to you courtesy of a business model that is wrenching for many who come into contact with it. Except, that is, for the financial managers who suck profits out of companies and leave their hulking carcass by the side of the road. It’s an extreme version of rapacious capitalism called private equity, and it’s played a part in the demise of brands like Toys R Us, Sears and many more.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back