Violence in the Elementary Schools

Discussion in 'Education' started by random3434, Apr 14, 2009.

1. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
  2. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Contrary to popular belief, school violence is not a new trend brought about by youth exposure to "unsavory" media or firearms. The answer to why school violence exists ought to be sought elsewhere, perhaps incorporating the fact that humans in general rarely appreciate compulsory subjugation into an authoritarian environment. As put by Midlarsky in Klain in A History of Violence in the Schools (excerpted from Violence in Schools):

A similar pattern is noted by Crews and Counts in The Evolution of School Disturbance in America. As mentioned therein:

Prior to a certain point, childhood (particularly adolescence), was not considered a unique or special phase in the human life cycle, and set age restrictions often did not exist. After the establishment of set age restrictions and rather authoritarian subjugation of those beneath these restrictions, a pattern of violence began to emerge that seemed almost...insurrectionary in nature.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I understand the idea of 'the kid comes in violent, learned at home. Now we're sending them home for violence offense.' Ok, fair enough. Seems the really rational approach would be to send that violent 5 year old to self-contained classroom. Oh, but too expensive, not to mention labeling. Oh my!

Too young to call a kid that's killing animals, unable to socialize with peers, pathological. No. Let's push them ahead for a few years, especially since they are so 'smart.' Now we have a 'gifted' sociopath.

4. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    There's not much I can say...just crazy.

So many parents out there suck so badly, that it should be illegal.

5. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,051
    Of course mine are no longer in school but back in the day violence was limited. When they first started school we were not local and they rode a school bus. Son got his face shoved into the seat in front of him and a bloody nose resulted. I held the school bus company responsible for it and it was stopped.

The boys/grandsons had simalar experiences on the school bus here when they started school in another district. It was resolved rather quickly. I doubt the youngest will have the same experiences as he has two older brothers that would not take kindly to anyone doing him harm.