Will Obama Return Guantánamo Back to Cuba?

American Horse

AKA "Mustang"
Jan 23, 2009
The Hoosier Heartland
There's a lot of talk about closing the Guantánamo Bay Naval Base, and it is understood by most of us that what is meant is the detention facility there would be closed, but not the base. But there is always room for misunderstanding on this subject. The rhetoric has always been that of "closing Gtmo".

Cuba asked for its return as recently as February 2008. Since Castro they have never cashed a US check for the $2,000 per year rent/lease agreement which has been effect since February 1903. Many Cubans believe the retention of Gtmo by the US is an affront to their dignity and sovereignity and is being used as a base to spy on them.

The Lease Agreement signed on February 16 1903, granted the U.S. "the right to use and occupy the waters adjacent to said areas of land and water… and generally to do any and all things necessary to fit the premises for use as coaling or naval stations only, and for no other purpose."
It appears our use has exceeded the lease ageement from time to time.

Almost immediately in his Presidency, in 1977 Jimmy Carter agreed to end the US control of the Panama Canal Zone, and to pass the complete management and maintenance of the Canal over to Panama in 2000.

Could Barack Obama have the same intention with Gtmo before his term or terms are out? He is pursuing a course of conciliation with Cuba and It would be a fine gesture to improving relations with them. This would be a strong symbolic gesture to change, and would be supportive of the Carter precedent which lends credibility to that probability.

Guantánamo is a 45 square mile area, about the size of Manhatten Island.Historical Look at Guantánamo Bay

Last edited:
I doubt the US will return GITMO to Cuba as long as Castro or non-democratic govt. is in place.
It has military value.

The original deal was 99 years, with an option for 99 more.

I doubt that even BO is dumb enough to give it to Castro.

I thought there was a lease expiry on Guantanamo Bay, or is there not?

The issue of returning Guantánamo to Cuba is complicated by the agreement signed by Batista in 1934. The agreement states: "Until the two Contracting Parties agree to the modification or abrogation of the stipulations of the agreement in regard to the lease to the United States of America of lands in Cuba for coaling and naval stations… the stipulations of that Agreement with regard to the naval station of Guantánamo shall continue in effect."

To the U.S. this means an "open-ended duration" that can only be terminated by mutual agreement. To Cuba it means that Guantánamo Bay is "occupied territory."

If there is no expiration, what benefit is it to the US to give it back?

Exactly. But that would play right in with admitting past flaws of the us in the hemisphere/internationally. It seems to me giving it back would fit the Obama model of behavior so far.

I doubt the US will return GITMO to Cuba as long as Castro or non-democratic govt. is in place.
It has military value.
That makes sense; but you can be sure Obama has considered all the possibilities of events during his term(s) and he can be fairly certain of the passing of Castro, while not a definite change in the form of government there.
I would be inclined to think that when Castro goes, and after the detention facility is closed, regardless of a change of government, he will give it up as a gesture of American good will.

I thought with Obama visiting Central America things might gel. He is always anxious to make amends, and this has possibilities for him. Carter gave up Panama CZ within the first few months of his administrartion.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back