Video Captures Police Handcuffing 5-Year-Old Girl

Kathianne said:
When you have a 5 or 6 year old acting that way, it's way beyond any regular classroom teacher's ability to control. This is nearly May, you think it just started? :confused:

No I don't think it just started. It started with lack of control and discipline in the home. Teachers these days are scared to death to try to control thier students. The result can be lawsuits and losing your job.

budboomer said:
No I don't think it just started. It started with lack of control and discipline in the home. Teachers these days are scared to death to try to control thier students. The result can be lawsuits and losing your job.

That's the truth!

budboomer said:

I don't think that 'scared to death' is quite the right description, though you are quite correct regarding lawsuits. Do you think if lawsuit wasn't an issue, that a teacher should have 'spanked,' slapped, or more forcefully restrained this child?

I will assume that everyone on the board has great parenting skills. Those that think that corporal punishment is fine, use it effectively and with discernment. For some reason one day your child's teacher believes your child has talked back to him/her, smacked another child-without just cause, or done something else that would be 'unreasonable'. Do you want a teacher/principal to 'smack', 'swat', paddle you child? Call you? Conference with you?

ScreamingEagle said:
A five year old child doesn't even understand who or what a cop really is. The "age of reason" is seven. But you are right, the child obviously needs help of some kind since it is obvious she isn't getting the right kind of parenting. Not the child's fault.

However, calling in the POLICE for taking care of a child having a tantrum is just plain idiotic and a waste of community resources. They needed to call the parents and call in a counselor.

No wonder our schools are going down the drain - if they can't even handle a 5 year old child.

The problem is that if the teacher or principal lays a hand on the child or removes her from the class, they're the ones getting sued right now. Everyone is so afraid of lawyers that they are moved to inaction or push it off on someone else to deal with.

Kathianne said:
I don't think that 'scared to death' is quite the right description, though you are quite correct regarding lawsuits. Do you think if lawsuit wasn't an issue, that a teacher should have 'spanked,' slapped, or more forcefully restrained this child?

I will assume that everyone on the board has great parenting skills. Those that think that corporal punishment is fine, use it effectively and with discernment. For some reason one day your child's teacher believes your child has talked back to him/her, smacked another child-without just cause, or done something else that would be 'unreasonable'. Do you want a teacher/principal to 'smack', 'swat', paddle you child? Call you? Conference with you?

I have no kids. I would have no problem though if a teacher had to discipline my kid, within reason, as long as they notified me that my child was acting up and the punishment that was used. I might be defensive at first but if the school acted professionally then i could handle it. If i hear that my kid got slapped by a teacher and the school didnt let me know about this, thered be holy hell to pay.

insein said:
I have no kids. I would have no problem though if a teacher had to discipline my kid, within reason, as long as they notified me that my child was acting up and the punishment that was used. I might be defensive at first but if the school acted professionally then i could handle it. If i hear that my kid got slapped by a teacher and the school didnt let me know about this, thered be holy hell to pay.

I am a parent, there would be 'holy hell' to pay if anyone physically disciplined one of my kids. Now at the same time, I would be seriously shocked if my kids did something like talk back to a teacher or any adult. IF they did, I would be the kids' worst nightmare-though I doubt that I'd resort to physical punishment-actually moot now, they are all at least 4" taller and 30 pounds heavier.

That kind of respect for adults begins way before kindergarten!

Kathianne said:

If a lawsuit or loss of job wasn't an issue the teacher should have stuffed her in a closet for an hour until her little pissy fit was over. What's next, 5 year olds starting a riot in school because nap time was cut short?

Kathianne said:
I am a parent, there would be 'holy hell' to pay if anyone physically disciplined one of my kids. Now at the same time, I would be seriously shocked if my kids did something like talk back to a teacher or any adult. IF they did, I would be the kids' worst nightmare-though I doubt that I'd resort to physical punishment-actually moot now, they are all at least 4" taller and 30 pounds heavier.

That kind of respect for adults begins way before kindergarten!

That is the truth! This is why I spank. There might be a child who could be raised without physical discipline, however, we've all got hard heads in my house. Spanking should never be a "last resort." By that time, emotions have escalated, and the parent is less in control. At our house, spanking is done for certain offenses: Defiance is an automatic spank. Repeated disobedience=defiance (you have to make sure the kid understands that he is disobeying, for very small kids). Spanking should start around age two, and should not be used past age 10. My eight-year old has only had about one spanking in the past year, the same for my seven-year-old. Of course, they are girls, and they listen better. The boys (3 & 5) are spanked maybe 1-2 times a week, sometimes go a few weeks without an offense, then they start to test the boundaries again. At younger ages, they simply do not understand "reasoning" and "another person's point of view." Check out Kohlberg's stages of morality.

http://www.xenodochy.org/ex/lists/moraldev.html

I think many times, spanking can be prevented with attention to the child. If they get enough attention, they don't act up nearly as much. Of course, I'm lucky; I get to be with them all day.

As for a teacher spanking my child, no. The principal at our school is allowed to spank, but the parent must be notified, and a police witness must be present. We have a policeman stationed at our school campus every day.

I go into my third graders classroom pretty regularly, and I am always shocked at a few of the children in there 2 boys and 1 girl comes to mind.

These children are very disrespctful towards their teacher, they do not listen nor do they follow directions! These kid's have been in ISS ( In School Suspension) several times with no effect.

I blame the parent's for their children's horrible behavior and talk with my son regulalry about these kid's behaviour and what they are doing. To hopefully curtail any thoughts he may have of imitating these children!

Kathianne said:

I think in the case of a first offense that a conference would be the way to go, now however if this has become a repeat thing with my child then I would have no problem with him recieving a swat at school!

I personally don't blame the school a bit for calling the police in. As some others have said,if the teachers or principals would have tried to restrain her any more than they did,they may have left marks or bruising,and then would have been arrested or sued or even fired. It's time the responsiblility fall where it should. In this case,the parents. I don't doubt they are or will be complaining about this happening to their child,and will be reinforced by the media. The child obviously has problems,and if this were my child,I would crawl into a hole out of embarrasment. Sure,children have tantrums,but no one can say the perfect way to handle one with someone else's child,since there are so many people so quick to jump on the abuse accusation. I believe no one can say the police were wrong until they are in that situation them selves.

mom4 said:
That is the truth! This is why I spank. There might be a child who could be raised without physical discipline, however, we've all got hard heads in my house. Spanking should never be a "last resort." By that time, emotions have escalated, and the parent is less in control. At our house, spanking is done for certain offenses: Defiance is an automatic spank. Repeated disobedience=defiance (you have to make sure the kid understands that he is disobeying, for very small kids). Spanking should start around age two, and should not be used past age 10. My eight-year old has only had about one spanking in the past year, the same for my seven-year-old. Of course, they are girls, and they listen better. The boys (3 & 5) are spanked maybe 1-2 times a week, sometimes go a few weeks without an offense, then they start to test the boundaries again. At younger ages, they simply do not understand "reasoning" and "another person's point of view." Check out Kohlberg's stages of morality.

http://www.xenodochy.org/ex/lists/moraldev.html

I think many times, spanking can be prevented with attention to the child. If they get enough attention, they don't act up nearly as much. Of course, I'm lucky; I get to be with them all day.

As for a teacher spanking my child, no. The principal at our school is allowed to spank, but the parent must be notified, and a police witness must be present. We have a policeman stationed at our school campus every day.

Perhaps I could agree to these types of parameters, though I've never been to a K-8 school with a policeman present, (parochial); or a K-6th (public). IF there was such parameters, even I (quite anti-corporal punishment), could sign off-if I liked and trusted the principal, (and the inschool cop).

Out of three children-only 1 did I have to spank, (upon advice of a psychiatrist :shocked: which came out of my frustration at not being able to instill correct behavior that was difficult, but possible with my older two. That 'child' had many, many behavior problems. As an 'young adult' he is pretty darned close to exemplary, (ummm, he's majoring in Law Enforcement :wtf: , though the other two are also very good, caring adults. (With all this thinking, I DO remember spanking the first, once-at about 2, when she had tried to cross the street, while I ran to the garage to get a bike or something.)

The older ones, as young children, I was able to usually get their behavior inline with a disapproving word/look. When that failed, (parents know these things :) ) A 1, 2, 3) usually worked. The rare times I got to three-increasing minutes in a chair-which they never DARED to get out of, worked. Combining that discipline, with set sceduals and required chores with withdrawal of priviliges worked on the older two. Oh yeah, I had NO PROBLEM leaving parties, visits, stores, family holiday functions if a child's behavior was unacceptable to ME-The middle child was extremely hyperactive, so we all learned this by the time he was 2. Never happened to that extent afterwards.

Funny thing is, once our 'family situation' was brought under control by the courts and the youngest was receiving help for his 'anger problems' all bad behavior at school ceased. (Somehow he was picking up what was taught and modeled at home, he just couldn't gain the necessary controls while there was so much chaos at home).

In general though, I strongly disagree with anyone but a loving parent administering any corporal punishment to a child. I had 'hitting nuns' and some very awful teachers, (not to mention that I know teachers that have students they really don't like-same kids other teachers do like). For teachers, coaches, etc., you just don't know what sets them off-which may well be why a child will act up with them.

budboomer said:
If a lawsuit or loss of job wasn't an issue the teacher should have stuffed her in a closet for an hour until her little pissy fit was over. What's next, 5 year olds starting a riot in school because nap time was cut short?

I don't know if you noticed the other little girl leaving right at the beginning of the first video, she was upset. This was not a little 'pissy fit' this is a very young child displaying extremely defiant behavior coupled with rage. She is NOT a leader of the class-the kids are glad to get away from her-with NO LEARNING going on while this child acts out. The very bad thing, from a teaching point of view, is that the other kids are learning very young, how to get control of teachers/school this type of behavior. Their parents and the school are going to be dealing with this for awhile, once the child is gone-and she will be gone from that class, (which will be their first lesson, but one they will forget pretty quickly at their age.)

Video Captures Police Handcuffing 5-Year-Old Girl

This is nothing, they have procedure whether you're 5 or 55, if they didn't follow it stuff would happen...

But, wait until ya see the video of a cop break a womans' arm
while handcuffing her for arrest because she wouldn't sign a speeding ticket.

I've just been told of this, haven't seen it myself. It happened here in Atlanta last night
I think...I'm sure it will hit the National wires, if it's what was described to me.

Kathianne said:
I don't know if you noticed the other little girl leaving right at the beginning of the first video, she was upset. This was not a little 'pissy fit' this is a very young child displaying extremely defiant behavior coupled with rage. She is NOT a leader of the class-the kids are glad to get away from her-with NO LEARNING going on while this child acts out. The very bad thing, from a teaching point of view, is that the other kids are learning very young, how to get control of teachers/school this type of behavior. Their parents and the school are going to be dealing with this for awhile, once the child is gone-and she will be gone from that class, (which will be their first lesson, but one they will forget pretty quickly at their age.)

I can't take this 21st century/political correctness jargon. Maybe I am slowly becomming an old fart but 20 years ago "a very young child displaying extremely defiant behavior coupled with rage" was called a temper tantrum/pissy fit.

I had one as a child (I think) and afterwards I couldn't sit down for a week because my mom knew how to handle it. Lesson learned.

budboomer said:
I can't take this 21st century/political correctness jargon. Maybe I am slowly becomming an old fart but 20 years ago "a very young child displaying extremely defiant behavior coupled with rage" was called a temper tantrum/pissy fit.

I had one as a child (I think) and afterwards I couldn't sit down for a week because my mom knew how to handle it. Lesson learned.

You acted like THAT at school?

Kathianne said:
You acted like THAT at school?

I wouldn't have dared to act like that in school because then I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a month.

budboomer said:
I wouldn't have dared to act like that in school because then I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a month.

THAT was my original point! Reasonably disciplined kids do NOT act like this at school, which doesn't mean that there isn't disrespectful, ill-disciplined children, just NOT to this degree. NORMAL kids have had a 'certain level of fear/respect' to authority figures. Children lacking in discipline may well act out at home or with parents in another setting, but rare it is to see this in school or at a friend's home, for a play date. (kids seem to recognize they can't throw tantrums with those that don't 'love' them).

When a kid does act out like this in a school setting, more than once-all sorts of red flags fly. That's why it was no surprise that the police knew her.

My only point was that the parents should have been called instead of the police. The parents were too busy running to a lawyer.

Forum List

Back