Gender neutral bathrooms

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
Can you imagine every business having to provide a "gender neutral" bathroom in addition to a men's room and a women's room?

NYU's Daily Student Newspaper
Issue date: 04.20.2005

Panelists: Gender neutral necessary

by Andrew J. Nusca
Staff Writer

Gender-neutral bathrooms are necessary to preserve the legal right to gender expression, representatives of various LGBT groups said yesterday at a panel discussion on the implementation of the New York City Transgender Rights Law.

"It shouldn't be a question of whether we need them or not," CAS sophomore Haley Socha said. "There are people who don't know what it's like to be uncomfortable using a bathroom."

The forum, held in the Kimmel Center, featured panelists from a variety of backgrounds, including politicians and leaders of LGBT organizations and was sponsored by the New York Association for Gender Rights Advocacy (NYAGRA), a legislative work group seeking to secure the full inclusion of transgender and gender-variant people in discrimination and hate crime laws in New York.

http://www.nyunews.com/news/campus/9452.html

I guess I'm having trouble understanding why it would even make them uncomfortable anyway. If it's a lesbian, most ladies' rooms have individual stalls, and if it's a gay man, he's not going to be seeing anything he doesn't have himself. I think it's just one more way they are trying to force the agenda.

Mr. P said:
Hell, let's start with CLEAN PUBLIC RESTROOMS, them move on from there..Okay? :gross2:

good point.

Also, I could give a rats ass if its a mens room, ladies room, or whatever.
if ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

Mr. P said:
Hell, let's start with CLEAN PUBLIC RESTROOMS, them move on from there..Okay? :gross2:

:thewave: Yes. Let's practice keeping the restrooms we have clean. No offense, but women in public bathrooms are GROSS. :thewave:

Just another waste of money, which can be used for something else.

I don't get it.

A lesbian feels uncomfortable in a ladies room because.... she is "shy" about having other women around because they are "like" the "opposite" sex and might be looking at her?

A gay gay is uncomfortable in a mens room because........................... hell I don't know, I always thought guys would kill for the chance to go into the ladies locker room.

What really irks me, is that just because they feel uncomfortable with bathrooms that are seperated, NOT, based on preferences, rather based on whether (I love kindergarten cop) "Girls have a vagina and boys have a penis." To a shocked pre Cal. Governator. Trust me mr. homosexual, I am NOT looking at your penis. I am sure the same applies for girls as it does for us boys. Maybe they should have their own bathroom:

"PAT's ROOM"

Gender neutal bathrooms...now I've heard everything. Most people regardless of their sexual preferance are obviously one or the other, except I guess people who've had a sex change. Even then if they are trying to look male they should use the mens room and go to a private stall.

I did think family bathrooms were a good idea especially so you didn't feel weird taking older kids in the bathroom with you. Of course the family bathrooms I've seen do have an alcove for women to nurse, which I would think would make men with daughters uncomfortable.

if i gotta go---i have to go. i have a condition called urinary reflux, in which the little muscle that opens and closes from the kidney to the bladder, doesn't work properly all the time. really, its like acid reflux, but with my kidney and bladder. if i hold it too long, it causes urine to back up into my right kidney. this is VERY painful. i have even gone into men's rooms at events if the line for the ladies room is too long. so far, i have had only one complaint (at least to my face). i told the guy my situation, that when this pain happens, i have to take 3 ibuprofen to get rid of the pain and relax my muscles and to basically 'reset' my urinary system. there is no real treatment other than a big dose of ibuprofen to reset everything after an episode

i will go whether there are guys there or not. if they are offended by the krinkling of a tampon wrapper, then too bad.

How exactly does a gender neutral bathroom solve the "problem of feeling awkward" in same gender bathrooms for gays and lesbians? I mean maybe im understanding it wrong, but isnt a gender neutral bathroom open to both genders? How would allowing both men and women in the same bathroom as you make you feel less awkward? Especially since it will be mostly gays and lesbians in these bathrooms. Wouldnt there be a higher probability of having someone checking you out in the bathroom? I don't understand how such a thing solves anything other than as another way to take decency out of society and destroy the cultural roles men and women have in our society.

im all for co-ed showers. LEts introduce them in college campuses everywhere. Actually i think some colleges do have co-ed bathrooms already where men and women in the same dorm use the facilities at the same time. Let me think sexual charged young adults, in various states of undress within close proximity of one another. Sure thats not lighting a match and throwing it on a gasoline-soaked, hay pile. :duh3:

Forum List

Back