Video Captures Police Handcuffing 5-Year-Old Girl

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Trinity, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I watched this video on Fox News just now, and I'll tell you what if that had been my child, they would have got their asses busted for acting like that to any adult!

Of course this is now getting turned into a racial issue! Go Figure! :rolleyes:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- An attorney says he plans legal action against St. Petersburg police officers who handcuffed an unruly 5-year-old girl after she acted up in her kindergarten class.

St. Petersburg police officers are videotaped putting handcuffs on an unruly 5-year-old girl after she acted up in her kindergarten class.

A video camera, which was rolling March 14 as part of a classroom self-improvement exercise, captured images of the girl tearing papers off a bulletin board, climbing on a table and punching an assistant principal before police were called to Fairmount Park Elementary.

Then it shows the child appearing to calm down before three officers approach, pin her arms behind her back and put on handcuffs as she screamed, "No!"

Largo lawyer John Trevena, who provided the tape to the media this week after obtaining it from police, says the officers went too far.

"The image itself will be seared into people's minds when you have three police officers bending a child over a table and forcibly handcuffing her," said Trevena, who represents the girl's mother, Inga Akins. "It's incomprehensible ... There was no need for that."

The video camera was rolling as part of a classroom self-improvement exercise.

Police declined to comment, citing an official complaint by Akins that has sparked an investigation by the supervisor of the four officers who were present. Two are new officers who were being trained that day.

Spokesman Bill Proffitt said the investigation would be complete in about two weeks and the findings would be made public.

The 30-minute tape shows assistant principal Nicole Dibenedetto trying repeatedly to calm down the girl, who ignores her commands and begins punching her. The child's mother was called but wasn't able to immediately come to the school.

After being placed in the back of a police cruiser, police released the girl to her mother after prosecutors informed them they wouldn't bring charges against a 5-year-old.

Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

http://www.local6.com/news/4407028/detail.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Reminiscent of the 10 year old kids getting handcuffed for trying to bring Terri Schiavo some water.

The loonies are running the asylum.

3. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    What was wrong with the child? Why was she going crazy in the classroom? Were they hitting, pushing, or hurting her? Maybe I'm the weirdo, but handcuffing doesn't sound all that harmful to me. If the child was out-of-control enough to have the police called on her in kindergarten! :wtf: Handcuffing and sitting in a police car don't sound too much different from time-out, unless they were whacking on her or something.

Seriously, a five-year-old girl punching a cop? Better cuff her now than shoot her later. She needs intervention.

4. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    A five year old child doesn't even understand who or what a cop really is. The "age of reason" is seven. But you are right, the child obviously needs help of some kind since it is obvious she isn't getting the right kind of parenting. Not the child's fault.

However, calling in the POLICE for taking care of a child having a tantrum is just plain idiotic and a waste of community resources. They needed to call the parents and call in a counselor.

No wonder our schools are going down the drain - if they can't even handle a 5 year old child.

5. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79

I watched both videos all the way through and did not see that anything was done wrong! However if I had been the teacher, I would have put that little girl over my knee and gave her an old fashion spanking which appearently is lacking in her life!

As for the handcuffs it is mandatory all over the country, when someone is taken into custody, they must be cuffed, regardless of age! When they are combative you definatley cuff them! They were taking her into custody untill her Mother arrived!

If I were that teacher I would slap a lawsuit on her mother for raising such an unruly child!!!

Classroom video
    http://www.stpetersburgtimes.com/2005/04/22/video/classroom.shtml

office video
    http://www.stpetersburgtimes.com/2005/04/22/video/office.shtml

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    people are handcuffed as much for their safety as for that of the officers.

The little girl needs a severe beating from somebody who loves her enough to do it.

:(

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    counting down till the 'race' card is played...

8. Trinity

Trinity VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +79

It was thrown out there today, by some guy they were interviewing on Fox News, but can't remember what his name was! :dunno:

9. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Corporal punishment is still allowed in our school. They have to have a police witness present, but the principal can swat. One reason it's good to live in the sticks! Anyone who saw this video should be able to see how well "reasoning" works with a 5-yr-old.

10. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    CP is not allowed in CA, period. Though my 7th grade shop teacher would oft lament about this sad day and age we came too. At the time I thought he was an idiot, however, after looking back at my and my class's behavior I would tend to agree with him, in that, when there was CP, his class was never unruly.

As to handcuffs, I personally feel this is uncalled for. Come on, this is a FIVE year old girl. Grab her bar the shoulder/elbow/arm whatever, even if it takes two officers, but handcuffs, that girl will remember this event forever. Bad thing? Good thing?

When I was in elementary school (8-11 maybe) we had the police come and give a presentation. Well that had cuffs and my friends and I would not shut up until one of them let us play with them. Being the 80's (before the rise of suetoomuch lawyers) they let us. When the officer put them on me, it was a real experience. I immediately wanted them off and became somewhat scared. Arms behind your back, virtually no movement. I felt silly for laughing at my friend who had gone before me. I did say to myself, never, would I ever want those on me. Good thing.

However, if they had been forced on me at five, I would have a completely different view. Think back. When something happened to you at five, did the impact not have an enormous effect on your life? For good or for bad.

Imagine being five....

I was a year beyond in 1st grade. Most of us are. Can you imagine, no matter how unruly being "handcuffed?" Was there simply no other way? If not, then the question becomes whether this girl has a psychosis problem or maybe a serious home problem. I have not seen the video, but at first blush, surely there must be a better way.