Vicarious Tour of North America's Parks

Discussion in 'The Outdoors' started by freedombecki, Aug 20, 2011.

1. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,894
    This is the thread to share your campfire stories, pics, videos of parks you've been to or plan to go to some day. My only request is to please keep it family-friendly.

Ok, I'll start. Here's a video of one of Texas best-kept secret fishing holes, Choke Canyon State Park:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz56VNlCABQ&feature=player_profilepage]Choke Canyon State Park, Texas [Official] - YouTube[/ame]

If it doesn't show up, the link to the video is here

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. yidnar

yidnar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +807
    the Appalachian MTNs are not only beautiful they are also the oldest MTNs on earth!!

3. freedombecki

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,894
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  4. LordBrownTrout

LordBrownTrout Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,101
    All the NP's out west are nice. Yellowstone has great trout waters and Glacier NP's Going to the Sun road is one of the prettiest routes I have driven through in the US.

5. freedombecki

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,894
    Thanks, LordBrownTrout. I particularly love the Snake River Overlook of the Teton Mountains near Yellowstone, and oh, Two Ocean Lake! However, for some reason every time we go up to Yellowstone, we just can't resist Old Faithful!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3lb2EjR4O4&feature=player_detailpage]Old Faithful Geyser - YouTube[/ame]

There is also a live videocam of Old Faithful erupting on a constant basis at the this page. Unfortunately it has to be seen during Rocky Mountain daytime or it looks like a big black brick. :)

6. freedombecki

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,894
    And of course, there are all kinds of animals up in Yellowstone and Grand Teton Parks in Wyoming:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVLzALKNBKQ&feature=player_detailpage]yellowstone moose - YouTube[/ame]

7. freedombecki

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,894
    And it is not uncommon to see Bears on the way to Two-Ocean Lake, which is a fun side trip if you are spending time at Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqobNjXlRJA&feature=player_detailpage]2 Ocean - YouTube[/ame]

Know and Teach Bear Safety to Kids Before Visiting Bear Areas:

Bear Safety

Bears are big predators and need to be treated with care. For the most part they are not interested in humans and will go out of their way to avoid us, and some simple precautions will encourage that behavior. First, hikers should go out of their way to make noise in bear country. That gives bears plenty of notice of the presence of humans, encouraging them to withdraw and at least guaranteeing that one or more hikers will not stumble upon a bear and startle it. Second, hikers and campers need to take extreme care in packing food, since food scents are the thing most likely to attract a bear. The park requires all food to be stored in bear-safe containers, and the park's designated campgrounds all come equipped with them. If a bear is sighted nearby, one must do their best to stand their ground and not run, as fleeing will only attract a chase and most humans have no hope of outrunning a bear.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,795
    I support the right to arm Bears.

9. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,789
    New Mexico's creme de la creme of National Parks is Carlsbad Caverns located in southern New Mexico at the north edge of the Chihuahuan desert. This time of year you can go from daytime temperatures of 110 degrees outside the cave opening to the year round constant 56 degrees on the cavern floor.

This promotional video does not do it justice. You have to stand inside those massive chambers and experience the sheer magnitude of it as well as incredible beauty:

[​IMG]

Both of these videos are about two minutes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob9WFa6FGDo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob9WFa6FGDo[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo8bRuNUA5A]Carlsbad Caverns National Park Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  10. freedombecki

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,894
  11. freedombecki

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,894
    I've seen them twice. My parents took us to Carlsbad Caverns when I was very young, and we took our children there when they were young. Both times, the experience was awesome! Thanks for sharing the Carlsbad Caverns videos, Foxfyre.

12. LordBrownTrout

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,101
    Jackson, Wyoming is awesome. There's great flyfishing about twenty miles into the Gros Ventre river. Also, Burke's Chop House has some great elk chops.

13. LordBrownTrout

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,101

Those griz have some pretty nice claws in YNP. They're armed pretty well.

14. freedombecki

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,894
    There's an amazingly beautiful Virtual Tour of Acadia National Park in Maine here.

We traveled there in 2003, and couldn't have enjoyed it more. It's so spectacular, and the smell of the evergreen trees enhances all its loveliness.

Acadia National Park page that has links to information for planning a fun trip

Has anyone been there who might share some pictures? Or another National Park that you are fond of?

15. freedombecki

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,894
    One other place I haven't been to is Big Bend National Park. Unfortunately, pictures take a lot of points away from Verizon users, so I can't post pictures again until September 3rd, or I have to pay the big bucks, and I'm retired.

So, please go here, and hopefully someone with unrestricted picture use or a bigger wallet can come back and post a few of Big Bend and/or Acadia National Park from either link.

Thanks in advance.

16. freedombecki

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,894
  17. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,789
    Here ya go for some Big Bend pics. I have been there, several times, and it, plus Guadalupe Peak, is perhaps the only shining jewel in otherwise pretty monotonous and featureless West Texas scenery, though to me a ripe wheat field rippling in the wind is beautiful too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. waltky

waltky Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +874
    Smuggler's luck...
    :eusa_eh:
    Massive US fire somehow misses marijuana operation
    Mon, Sep 05, 2011 - This summer’s Las Conchas fire in New Mexico scorched tribal lands, threatened one of the nation’s premier nuclear facilities and pushed bears into nearby cities. However, it somehow spared more than 9,000 marijuana plants in a remote area of Bandelier National Monument.

19. NGSamson

NGSamson Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    At is on my list of hikes to make. I have done the Western States trail, that was a blast, All thees areas are nice, and I plan on doing alloy of exploring when we get moved to Utah.

20. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,789
    No luck involved. That is little more than an hour's drive from my house. :)
    A plane flying over the massive burn spotted the patch of green and authorities went to look. Apparently the pot growers defended their pot field as there was evidence they fought the fire on all sides until it passed. Some of the crop had been harvested but the remaining healthy plants would have yielded something like $12 million on the street?

Bandelier is definitely one of our local treasures though. As is the case of most places, the photos don't really do it justice, but it is always alive with myriad wildlife, song birds, butterfles, wild flowers and flowering cactuses depending on what time of year it is. The fires roar through there from time to time but by the next year it is always back to normal and beautiful again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]