Vermont governor abandons single-payer health care plan

I'm starting to wonder about you. The other day in another thread I made reference to "Michael Brown" and you thought I was talking about a dude in New Orleans.

I'm starting to wonder about you. The other day in another thread I made reference to "Michael Brown" and you thought I was talking about a dude in New Orleans.

:banghead:

What the FLYING FUCK dood...

Does my post not say "somebody posted this yesterday"? Yes or no?
Did you not post this story yesterday? Are you not "somebody"? Yes or no?
Cheeses Christ onna CRACKER this place is like an asylum.

From your post it sounded as if you were saying another thread on this was posted yesterday.

From your post it sounded as if you were saying another thread on this was posted yesterday.

That IS what I was saying. You just told us you yourself did it.

That's it. I'm gonna call Nurse Ratchet.

:lol: I said four years ago when they passed this shit it would never get implemented. If Vermont can't afford it how the hell are we supposed to do it nationwide?
Single payer in the US can't be implemented fully anyway because of pre-existing healthcare laws and regulations, which is the same issue with the alternative of a fully private healthcare system.

To make either work in Vermont, you would have to decrease federal taxes in Vermont and no longer require the state to contribute tax payer money within the state to the federal government healthcare system.

Essentially at the moment if Vermont was to go ahead, you would have the double whammy of having to pay tax for the current flawed system as well as for the state healthcare system in Vermont.

I am not even going to go into how the problem has not been defined...so the solution is never clear.

My point in posting this is that they are looking at it and they should learn some things.

Obama would have done well to look at Tenncare which has been around a long long time.

Now....

If Mass has Romneycare....

Tenn has Tenncare......

Vermont gets something.....

Are not the states doing the will of the people......

And if the will of the people in a state is that they don't want it......

Then let's scrap this mess they call Obamacare.

Glad you came around to state level health care for the people.

Good for you. And the people have ACA who can't or won't do through the state.

Shut up Jake....

I've always been for states having that conversation. That does not mean they have to do it....it's up to them.

F**k that ACA.

Got that trip to Omaha rescheduled ?

It's good to see that you are moderating.

So is Antares. That is smart of him. And you, too.

You are full of shit.

When was that Omaha trip ?
You hit like a pansy, Listening.

I am glad you are admitting you are moderating.

I'd respond if I thought people actually took the time to read what you crap out on the board.

But since they don't.....

:lol: I said four years ago when they passed this shit it would never get implemented. If Vermont can't afford it how the hell are we supposed to do it nationwide?
Single payer in the US can't be implemented fully anyway because of pre-existing healthcare laws and regulations, which is the same issue with the alternative of a fully private healthcare system.

To make either work in Vermont, you would have to decrease federal taxes in Vermont and no longer require the state to contribute tax payer money within the state to the federal government healthcare system.

Essentially at the moment if Vermont was to go ahead, you would have the double whammy of having to pay tax for the current flawed system as well as for the state healthcare system in Vermont.

Isn't it great how we screwed the states with the ACA.

Why weren't the vaunted blue states doing this before ACA. They think they support everyone else, why set themselves up to be taxed more.

Answer: They don't and they were hoping for help.

Now, we've screwed them.

Kansas will never have state run health care. That is our right.

However, there are conversations around subsidizing preventative activities. I am gratified to see a conversation taking place.

Oh, so the only way that Vermont could hope to support a single payer system was by outside support. There was no way they could fund it with wholly internal revenue? Interesting.

Re-purposing state Medicaid funding is internal revenue. ACA exchange subsidies are not.

The fact that health care is cheaper than expected reduces the bite of both funding sources.

So, it should have moved forward...right ?

...no. Health care spending growth just reached lowest levels ever recorded last year. That means the argument that single-payer is needed to control health spending growth is diminished significantly.

Single-payer is supposed to be the white knight that saves us from what's going on now. But under what's going on now we're getting the best results we've ever seen in this country (the lowest-ever health spending growth, highest-ever insurance rates, the safest and highest quality care we've ever seen, the greatest state-level investment in health system change we've ever known).

It would've been a fine experiment, particularly for a small state, but most of the arguments for it have evaporated. They made the most sense in a pre-ACA world. But we're now in a post-ACA world. Which means most of the wind has been taken out of their sails because we're already seeing much of what they aspire to achieve.

Single-payer is largely predicated on the hope that the ACA underperforms hopes/projections. So far it's overperforming. So single-payer goes kaput (see: Vermont).

It's over performing? with ONLY 6million people signed onto it out of 360 million people in the country?

are you getting paid to push this?

Here's over performing I guess.

SNIP;
CBS poll showing health-care cost pressures increasing on Americans
posted at 6:41 pm on December 18, 2014 by Ed Morrissey
  • 88 SHARES

It’s been almost five years since the passage of the Affordable Care Act and its promise to “bend the cost curve downward” for Americans and their health care. More than five years have passed since the technical start of the recovery and the Obama administration’s bragging about jobs and economic expansion. The two combined should produce noticeable improvement in the lives of Americans, yes? According to the latest CBS News poll, no (via Jeff Dunetz):

Fifty-two percent of Americans say they find basic medical care affordable, but that’s down from 61 percent last December. Today, for 46 percent of Americans, paying for medical care is a hardship, up 10 points.

Similarly, just over half of Americans are at least somewhat satisfied with their health care costs, while 43 percent are dissatisfied.

Americans are feeling the cost of their health care. Fifty-two percent say the amount of money they pay for out-of-pocket health care costs — those not covered by insurance — has gone up over the past few years, including a third who say those costs have gone up a lot.

Most attribute the rise of out-of-pocket costs to more expensive medical treatment, rather than an increase in the amount of treatment they are receiving.

The cost increase is not coming from increased access to care, either. Only 14% of those responding say they are accessing more treatment than before. For 74% of respondents, health care is just more expensive. More now are less willing to see a doctor, and 78% of those choose to avoid it because of cost alone.

Satisfaction with health care has dropped over the last five years, too. Those somewhat or very satisfied has gone from 78% in September 2009 to 69% in this poll. Dissatisfaction over the quality of care has risen from 18% to 28%.

ALL of it here:
CBS poll showing health-care cost pressures increasing on Americans Hot Air

You mean taxes would have had to be raised in order to have a single-payer system ?
Color me shocked.

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Calling it the biggest disappointment of his career, Gov. Peter Shumlinsaid Wednesday he was abandoning plans to makeVermont the first state in the country with a universal, publicly funded health caresystem.

Going forward with a project four years in the making would require tax increases too big for the state to absorb, Shumlin said. The measure had been the centerpiece of the Democratic governor's agenda and was watched and rooted for by single-payer health care supporters around the country.

"I am not going (to) undermine the hope of achieving critically important health care reforms for this state by pushing prematurely for single payer when it is not the right time for Vermont," Shumlin said to reporters and two boards advising him on health care changes.

Legislation Shumlin signed in 2011 put the state on a path to move beyond the federal Affordable Care Act by 2017 to a health care system more similar to that in neighboring Canada. Shumlin adopted the mantra that access to quality health care should be "a right and not a privilege."

The legislation called for the administration to produce a plan for financing the Green Mountain Care system by 2013 but it wasn't completed until the last several days. Shumlin said it showed the plan would require an 11.5 percent payroll tax on businesses and an income tax separate from the one the state already has of up to 9.5 percent.

Governor abandons single-payer health care plan - Yahoo News

Color me double shocked.

Of course they would have to raise taxes to pay so everyone would have health coverage.

All those freeloaders would have to be taken care of just like the taxpayers.

Color me double shocked. Just as shocked as those Vermont taxpayers were gonna be.

Glad you came around to state level health care for the people.

Good for you. And the people have ACA who can't or won't do through the state.

Shut up Jake....

I've always been for states having that conversation. That does not mean they have to do it....it's up to them.

F**k that ACA.

Got that trip to Omaha rescheduled ?

It's good to see that you are moderating.

So is Antares. That is smart of him. And you, too.

You are full of shit.

When was that Omaha trip ?
You hit like a pansy, Listening.

I am glad you are admitting you are moderating.

I'd respond if I thought people actually took the time to read what you crap out on the board.

But since they don't.....

:lol: yeah, I know it sux to be you

Now stay on topic: the governor has delayed "not abandoned" single payer

You mean taxes would have had to be raised in order to have a single-payer system ?
Color me shocked.

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Calling it the biggest disappointment of his career, Gov. Peter Shumlinsaid Wednesday he was abandoning plans to makeVermont the first state in the country with a universal, publicly funded health caresystem.

Going forward with a project four years in the making would require tax increases too big for the state to absorb, Shumlin said. The measure had been the centerpiece of the Democratic governor's agenda and was watched and rooted for by single-payer health care supporters around the country.

"I am not going (to) undermine the hope of achieving critically important health care reforms for this state by pushing prematurely for single payer when it is not the right time for Vermont," Shumlin said to reporters and two boards advising him on health care changes.

Legislation Shumlin signed in 2011 put the state on a path to move beyond the federal Affordable Care Act by 2017 to a health care system more similar to that in neighboring Canada. Shumlin adopted the mantra that access to quality health care should be "a right and not a privilege."

The legislation called for the administration to produce a plan for financing the Green Mountain Care system by 2013 but it wasn't completed until the last several days. Shumlin said it showed the plan would require an 11.5 percent payroll tax on businesses and an income tax separate from the one the state already has of up to 9.5 percent.

Governor abandons single-payer health care plan - Yahoo News

Color me double shocked.

Of course they would have to raise taxes to pay so everyone would have health coverage.

All those freeloaders would have to be taken care of just like the taxpayers.

Color me double shocked. Just as shocked as those Vermont taxpayers were gonna be.

Health Care isn't cheap thanks to congress.

So Insurance is almost necessary.

You'd think these morons would figure out that if they would scale back medicare, they'd realize prices might come down.

But nooooooooooooooooooooooo

This may help your lack of knowledge, Listening.

US Health Care Inflation Rate - YCharts
https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_health_care_inflation_rate
... charts, stats and more. US Health Care Inflation Rate is at 2.50%, compared to 2.09% last month and 2.17% last year. This is lower than the long term average ...
Fond du Lac health insurance rates up 6% this year
http://www.fdlreporter.com/story/news/local/2014/12/18/fond-du-lac-health-insurance-rates-y...
1 day ago ... •For the first time in the nine-year history of the report, Milwaukee and Racine had the lowest rate of large group health insurance inflation, ...

SNIP;
  • 88 SHARES

It’s been almost five years since the passage of the Affordable Care Act and its promise to “bend the cost curve downward” for Americans and their health care. More than five years have passed since the technical start of the recovery and the Obama administration’s bragging about jobs and economic expansion. The two combined should produce noticeable improvement in the lives of Americans, yes? According to the latest CBS News poll, no (via Jeff Dunetz):

Fifty-two percent of Americans say they find basic medical care affordable, but that’s down from 61 percent last December. Today, for 46 percent of Americans, paying for medical care is a hardship, up 10 points.

Similarly, just over half of Americans are at least somewhat satisfied with their health care costs, while 43 percent are dissatisfied.

Americans are feeling the cost of their health care. Fifty-two percent say the amount of money they pay for out-of-pocket health care costs — those not covered by insurance — has gone up over the past few years, including a third who say those costs have gone up a lot.

Most attribute the rise of out-of-pocket costs to more expensive medical treatment, rather than an increase in the amount of treatment they are receiving.

The cost increase is not coming from increased access to care, either. Only 14% of those responding say they are accessing more treatment than before. For 74% of respondents, health care is just more expensive. More now are less willing to see a doctor, and 78% of those choose to avoid it because of cost alone.

Satisfaction with health care has dropped over the last five years, too. Those somewhat or very satisfied has gone from 78% in September 2009 to 69% in this poll. Dissatisfaction over the quality of care has risen from 18% to 28%.

ALL of it here:

Of course, the morons who worship Obama see it differently.

I know facts are not your thing, Listening, but since your arguments never work, you might try them.

SNIP;
  • 88 SHARES

ALL of it here:

More from your article which you posted:

Not surprisingly, the law that was supposed to solve all of those problems is getting less and less popular. ObamaCare now only gets a 36/55 approval rating, down from 41/51 in September and 41/53 in March. The drop comes despite considerable administration bragging about supposed enrollment successes in the spring, and a relatively trouble-free open enrollment period underway now, at least on the consumer side of the exchanges. As more employers dump their coverage and force their workers into the ObamaCare exchanges, expect those numbers to get even lower.

One thing that has contributed to a slow down in health care costs is the reported re-admission rate.

So the question has to be....were those re-admissions bogus or are people not coming back for what they need ?

Hey JakeyTheFakey,

Headed to Omaha anytime soon ?

Would love to hear about it.

Yup, Listening, you got your ass kicked in yet another of your own threads (not even bigreb, PC, or caligirl had as good a records as you) :lol: so you try to deflect with Omaha. Not to worry, he got it even worse than you have here. :lol:

We were talking about Vermont, and you got beat down.

Then you got beat down on health care cost.

You are going to get beat down on ACA next here.

You will have a negative Trifecta here.

Way to go, girl.

Forum List

Back