Vatican Weighs In Again on ID

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Annie, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Like I've said about teaching ID in Catholic schools, shouldn't be finding ID or creationism in science classes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/19/s.../19evolution.html?th=&emc=th&pagewanted=print

2. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Yes! Intelligent Design should NOT be in PUBLIC schools! Thank you!

Now I have a question for you-- do you think that in public schools, those who are religious and do not believe in evolution and feel that it contradicts from their beliefs should be exempt from that study?

I've been tossing that around for a few months now because so many people say that evolution is contradicts their beliefs, so do you think that would be adequate to resolve the issue?

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I think an even better solution would be to discuss both sides of evolution - allow the theory to be taught, then discuss the problems with evolutionary theory.

4. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49

That's a great idea! It promotes scientific inquiry and investigation, while leaving the door open for religious views. Great point!

5. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I go a step farther in my views. I not only embrace ID, but, what's more, I teach my children Creation Science. Many proponents of ID simply take the theory of evolution and tack on God. I, on the other hand, believe that the creation process went exactly as stated in Genesis.

However, I do NOT want my children excluded from studying evolution in school. As Jeff said, I do wish they would point out the flaws in the theory instead of just stating it as fact. However, I think kids should learn the theories that are out there, ie. evolution.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    As a teacher, my tendency is to say, "No." Kids need to be exposed to the most accepted theories in a discipline. With that said, I also think that parents are the primary teachers of their children, so if they wish to have their kids pulled from science, they should sign a waiver.

On the other hand, I think that ID and other explanations, have justification being included in philosophy/theology, perhaps social studies-though I find it hard to see how it fits in with social studies in a regular curriculum, though in larger high schools, current issues.

7. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I agree...it would be especially beneficial for a current events class. So I guess that we can all agree that ID should not be taught in science class, while evolution (along with its flaws) can. And of coure-- it would be appropriate for a current issues or foundations iof culture class.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I doubt you have 'all agree.' I agree with what I've written here, so will some others. :laugh:

9. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    no...... they should be forced to belive a therory......and sing dradel dradel dradel but not be allowed to sing silent night....and there will be no christmas trees in the class room ..... or talk about why we celebrate christmas unless it is in the contxt of helping the economy unless a republican is in the white house in wich case we are suposed to boycot all the "red" stores or sit on santas lap .... or read tom sawyer ..... or celebrate indigenous peoples day ... or get grades cuz no one should feel bad ... or compete cuz no one should lose......

damn mr p and kath i tried as long as i could i just can't do it

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I natually end up there at times. Sorry! NOT! :laugh: