Did Jesus Abolish the Old Testament?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Cowman, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Cowman

Cowman Cows Have Liberal Minds

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +725
    Why do so people Christians believe that Jesus abolished the old law? To me, it seems like a way to try and get away from the nastier sides of their god and their religion. Either that, or they just don't have the same sort of dietary will as the Jewish people.

Fact of the matter is though, the bible says nothing about Jesus abolishing the Old Testament. And it's not just for Jews.

Lots more where this came from.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17)

Enjoy hell, sinners! Kidding... but seriously, why do you think you don't have to follow the Old Testament as a Christians? Why do you think Jews are different and still have to follow it but you don't? Hell, even when I was a devout Christian, I didn't disregard the Old Testament. Because I read my bible.

[​IMG]

2. amrchaos

amrchaos Pentheus torn apart

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    You are referring to the the laws in the OT, right?

Well, some of those laws are considered "brutal" in terms of todays Western societies and are disregarded.

There is also the possibility that the main focus is to "convert" enough people to a particular will, and suppress the rest of humanity by brute force--but that is my "conspiracy nut" side of me talking.

Also, it maybe to help distinguish mainstream Christinity from Mainstream Judaism(I don't really believe this argument, though. There is no "Mainstream" Christianity without Judaism!)

In any case, I wonder how does one define sin without the OT. Jesus main commandments are to believe in his word and worship the father. If this is the case, and the laws are "abolished" then how does one fall into hell. Not believing in Jesus and/or not worshipping the father?

That is not much of a religion there. Not much moral philosophy to contemplate if one just consider Jesus other sayings, to be honest. OT is therefore necessary in order for Christianity to have a solid moral philosophical core.

3. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,692
    In answer to your question.

It depends on what point the Cafeteria Christians wish to make.

4. bobgnote

bobgnote BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Let he who is not circumcised not become circumcised.

So don't cut your wee-wee, if you didn't get'r'done, already, pilgrim.

The Old Testament is really about how Habiru killers conquered Canaan and then got rousted, by Assyria and Babylon. The story of Jesus is about how Romans were sitting on Judea, which was speaking Aramaic, since it was conquered, by Aramid tribes, which, like Jews, were from Abyssinia.

That's ironic, since all kinds of Zionists won't admit their African origins, and the diluted Semites in Israel will do anything they can, to deny emigration, to Africans.

5. Cowman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +725
    Well it does make a lot of sense why they are leaving this thread alone.

Ignore it all you want though, you can't ignore the terrible old testament style wrath of your GOD!

6. Youwerecreated

Youwerecreated VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Man cannot live up to the law we were released with the death of Christ he is our atonement for our sins,all we have to do is ask. Jews no longer offer up sacrifices ask yourself why ?

7. Youwerecreated

Youwerecreated VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Have you read revelations ? nothing has changed judgment will come to the earth.

8. Cowman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +725
    You're joking right? Jesus was god, and he came and said he wasn't going to change the law or the prophets... and then suddenly he changes his mind because he gets crucified which he KNEW was going to happen?

Give me a fucking break. Read your bible, son.

Although... on second thought... god does joke a lot. KILL YOUR SON! No wait I'm just kidding!

9. Ancient lion

Ancient lion Thank your creator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Jesus said:
    And [I have come] confirming what was before me of the Torah and to make lawful for you some of what was forbidden to you. And I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so fear Allah and obey me.
    Surat 'Ali `Imran [3:50] - The Noble Qur'an

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  10. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    I'd say it's more likely that people are tired of answering stupid questions and stupid assumptions. Go to church and ask a pastor your questions if you really want them answered, which of course is not what this is all about, as we all know. ;)