Did Jesus Abolish the Old Testament?

Cowman

Cows Have Liberal Minds
Nov 6, 2011
Why do so people Christians believe that Jesus abolished the old law? To me, it seems like a way to try and get away from the nastier sides of their god and their religion. Either that, or they just don't have the same sort of dietary will as the Jewish people.

Fact of the matter is though, the bible says nothing about Jesus abolishing the Old Testament. And it's not just for Jews.

Lots more where this came from.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17)

Enjoy hell, sinners! Kidding... but seriously, why do you think you don't have to follow the Old Testament as a Christians? Why do you think Jews are different and still have to follow it but you don't? Hell, even when I was a devout Christian, I didn't disregard the Old Testament. Because I read my bible.

Y98jT.png

You are referring to the the laws in the OT, right?

Well, some of those laws are considered "brutal" in terms of todays Western societies and are disregarded.

There is also the possibility that the main focus is to "convert" enough people to a particular will, and suppress the rest of humanity by brute force--but that is my "conspiracy nut" side of me talking.

Also, it maybe to help distinguish mainstream Christinity from Mainstream Judaism(I don't really believe this argument, though. There is no "Mainstream" Christianity without Judaism!)

In any case, I wonder how does one define sin without the OT. Jesus main commandments are to believe in his word and worship the father. If this is the case, and the laws are "abolished" then how does one fall into hell. Not believing in Jesus and/or not worshipping the father?

That is not much of a religion there. Not much moral philosophy to contemplate if one just consider Jesus other sayings, to be honest. OT is therefore necessary in order for Christianity to have a solid moral philosophical core.

Why do so people Christians believe that Jesus abolished the old law? To me, it seems like a way to try and get away from the nastier sides of their god and their religion. Either that, or they just don't have the same sort of dietary will as the Jewish people.

Fact of the matter is though, the bible says nothing about Jesus abolishing the Old Testament. And it's not just for Jews.

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17)

Enjoy hell, sinners! Kidding... but seriously, why do you think you don't have to follow the Old Testament as a Christians? Why do you think Jews are different and still have to follow it but you don't? Hell, even when I was a devout Christian, I didn't disregard the Old Testament. Because I read my bible.

Y98jT.png

In answer to your question.

It depends on what point the Cafeteria Christians wish to make.

Let he who is not circumcised not become circumcised.

So don't cut your wee-wee, if you didn't get'r'done, already, pilgrim.

The Old Testament is really about how Habiru killers conquered Canaan and then got rousted, by Assyria and Babylon. The story of Jesus is about how Romans were sitting on Judea, which was speaking Aramaic, since it was conquered, by Aramid tribes, which, like Jews, were from Abyssinia.

That's ironic, since all kinds of Zionists won't admit their African origins, and the diluted Semites in Israel will do anything they can, to deny emigration, to Africans.

• Banned
Well it does make a lot of sense why they are leaving this thread alone.

Ignore it all you want though, you can't ignore the terrible old testament style wrath of your GOD!

Y98jT.png

In answer to your question.

It depends on what point the Cafeteria Christians wish to make.

Man cannot live up to the law we were released with the death of Christ he is our atonement for our sins,all we have to do is ask. Jews no longer offer up sacrifices ask yourself why ?

Ignore it all you want though, you can't ignore the terrible old testament style wrath of your GOD!

Have you read revelations ? nothing has changed judgment will come to the earth.

• Banned

Have you read revelations ? nothing has changed judgment will come to the earth.

You're joking right? Jesus was god, and he came and said he wasn't going to change the law or the prophets... and then suddenly he changes his mind because he gets crucified which he KNEW was going to happen?

Give me a fucking break. Read your bible, son.

Although... on second thought... god does joke a lot. KILL YOUR SON! No wait I'm just kidding!

I'd say it's more likely that people are tired of answering stupid questions and stupid assumptions. Go to church and ask a pastor your questions if you really want them answered, which of course is not what this is all about, as we all know. ;)

You're joking right? Jesus was god, and he came and said he wasn't going to change the law or the prophets... and then suddenly he changes his mind because he gets crucified which he KNEW was going to happen?

Give me a fucking break. Read your bible, son.

Although... on second thought... god does joke a lot. KILL YOUR SON! No wait I'm just kidding!

I have for forty years and have 13 different versions of it.

Last edited:
Jesus said:
And [I have come] confirming what was before me of the Torah and to make lawful for you some of what was forbidden to you. And I have come to you with a sign from your Lord, so fear Allah and obey me.
Surat 'Ali `Imran [3:50] - The Noble Qur'an

So what is said in the Qur'an trumps what Jesus said in the Bible for Christians?

Good to know.

Matthew 5:17-20
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

Oh but wait I take it all back because I got nailed to this cross. I as god, spoke fallibly.

I love it when people start saying "Oh but he meant 'the Law' as in this bit and this bit and this bit, but not this and this and this."

Yeah... okay.

Last edited:
What do you think he meant by 'but to fulfill them'?

It means whatever you want it to mean apparently. Which is to selectively choose what stuff you don't want to abide by in the Old Testament and what stuff you still want to bring up as the word and law of god.

Creflo don't 'Spare the rod an' spoil the child'...
:cool:
Pastor Creflo Dollar charged with attacking his daughter
Jun 08, 2012 - Megachurch pastor Creflo Dollar was arrested today in Georgia on charges of attacking his 15-year-old daughter during an argument, WXIA-TV reports.
The founder and pastor of World Changers Church International is accused of simple battery and cruelty to children for allegedly attacking his daughter during an fight over whether she could attend a party. The police report says Dollar choked his daughter, then threw her to the ground, punched her and hit her with his shoe during a fight at his metro Atlanta home. When police interviewed Dollar, he said he tried to restrain his daughter when she "became very disrespectful," according to the report. Dollar acknowleged spanking his daughter and wrestling her to the floor, but said it was because she hit him.

The responding officer noticed a scratch on the daughter's neck near her throat, WXIA reports. She tells police her father gave her the scratch during the fight. Fayette County Sheriff's Office investigator Brent Rowan says the 50-year-old pastor "got physical" with her, leaving her with "superficial injuries," the Associated Press reports. Dollar, who preaches a "Prosperity theology" in his Sunday sermons that are broadcast internationally, bonded out of a Fayette county jail this morning.

The theology, which teaches that God wants to bless the faithful with earthly riches, drew the attention of Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, who targeted six ministers in an investigation in 2011 into the personal use of church-owned airplanes, luxury homes and credit cards by pastors and their families, the Associated Press reports. All six insisted they comply with tax regulations for religious nonprofits. Dollar was one of four ministers who refused to cooperate with the investigation.

Source

It means whatever you want it to mean apparently. Which is to selectively choose what stuff you don't want to abide by in the Old Testament and what stuff you still want to bring up as the word and law of god.

The prophets of the old testament predicted the coming of Christ. They also predicted his coming around the time of Christ's coming.

Than daniel predicted the identifying factors to know when his second coming would be close.

Y98jT.png

I don't believe He abolished the law. He fulfills it, just as He says.

A few verses elsewhere in His Word sometimes help to show that; For example - LOVE covers a multitude of sins. God gave all, Himself, and as it says in His Word - He IS LOVE.

1 Peter 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore of sound mind, and be sober unto prayer:

8 above all things being fervent in your love among yourselves; for love covereth a multitude of sins:

What trumps hate, sin, the evil of evils, the most horrid of the most horrid? LOVE. Hands down, no contest. LOVE never fails.

What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the law, but did not abolish it?

Last edited:

it's questionable as to whether revelations is even a legitimate part of the NT.

What trumps hate, sin, the evil of evils, the most horrid of the most horrid? LOVE. Hands down, no contest. LOVE never fails.

What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the law, but did not abolish it?

why don't you ask the people who wrote it?

seems even the whole "love" thing is pick and choose among the fundies... you "love" the people who think like you.

you think you're better than everyone else.

i particularly love the people who think only their religion is legitimate. :thup:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back