USMB User Name

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam's Apple, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Why did you choose the name for yourself that you use on USMB? Does it have some significance for you? Does it pertain to you as an individual in some way? Is there an interesting story behind it?

As for me, I chose Adam's Apple because it is a common term and easy to remember. In case anyone has been wondering, I do not have an Adam's apple.

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I have been gop_jeff for a while, all over the internet. For the non political types, GOP stands for Grand Old Party - the Republicans. I am a fairly invloved GOP activist, though that has been less of a priority lately.

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    CSM...Command Sergeant Major...what I was when I retired from the Army and what I put under my signature on many a document.

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I think it would be obvious.

Many people find that there is no choice to vote FOR in an election, and for me it is often the case. While I lean strongly Libertarian even their party is often not one that I find easy to vote for.

I therefore often end up voting for what is the "least of the evils".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. KarlMarx

KarlMarx Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +491
    I tried several names before settling on Karl Marx on another board I used to frequent (one was "Count CocoaPuffs") I wanted to have a name of a well known person who believed exactly the OPPOSITE of what I did.... I settled on Karl Marx... as a joke

After all, who ever heard of a Conservative Communist?

6. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    my USMB name means nothing special; just a letter and some dashes, and a couple = symbols.

7. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I've used this handle ever since 1990, ever since I started taking Russian in college (and before I lived there) and signed on to the University 'Internet', when back then it was just for email and listservers (and all in text at that).

Anyhow, other people have since robbed me of my rightfull name and place on the Internet (hey, I WAS FIRST) on various places like Yahoo, where I am Comradeinarms2001...2...3....4....5...

8. pretender

pretender Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I use a name on most forums but decided to go different here. Especially since I read for a while before registering. I also told a friend from another forum about this one and didn't want him to know who I was but then decided to use my old avatar thinking who cares anyway. If you are here hey... But I picked pretender for here by just opening the dictionary. The word pretender was there, thought yep that's what the net is about. So I took it. Has no real meaning, it was just... there.

9. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i was born with my name. use it in jsut about everything i do on the net

10. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    My parents challenged me in 6th grade to do something about the ethnic cleansing of Bosnians by Slobodan Milosevic and his Bosnian Serb allies. I had my first experience with activism in writing letters, raising funds, etc etc. In 1999, when Milosevic was preparing to slaughter the Kosovar Albanians and Slick Willy was bumbling on whether to do something or not, I joined 30 other students from my Student Congress NC group and wore NATO AIR- JUST DO IT shirts (with the Nike swoosh) during a tour of the Capitol. Sen. Lieberman and Sen. Warner gave us high-fives. It was cool, a defining experience for me to make a political statement about standing up to dicators and tyrants.