USMB Coffee Shop IV

Has this woman “seen the light”?

G'day. I'm 64, South-east Queensland is home. Just got out of bed. Hair unwashed 1 week. Too lazy to style and stage myself so here I am in all my unglamorous glory. Divorced eight years, living with my adult son. Always dreamed of escaping to the country and now I have....on my terms.​
I love breezy days and wind, this morning I lay in bed with the breeze brushing past my face and I felt so alive. As a young girl I dreamed of running along the windswept Cornwell clifftops, it never left me. This year in September, I'm off to England and my joggers are already packed.​
My four year old dishwasher is unused, I love handwashing dishes (am I dull)? I've owned hundreds of cookbooks in my day, given heaps away to op shops. Doesn't stop me from buying more. I cook from scratch. I make my own pastry. Watching puff pastry rise in the oven is the most exciting thing in the world.​
I love mowing the lawn, in my case paddocks, bumping along on the ride-on is so much fun......wheeee
😀
There's no power pole on my place, I live fully off-grid, tank water only, the river floods and cuts me off from the road for weeks, isolated from humans suits me just fine. My kids worry I'm too introverted these days, 'you need a social life mum'....yeah...nah...I'm good thanks​

View attachment 915668

^ Watching puff pastry rise in the oven is the most exciting

thing in the world.

lol
You still lead a more exciting life than i do. :)

I’m cooking some broccoli right now. :cool:
We eat a lot of broccoli, cabbage (mostly in the form of cole slaw but a lot of cooked cabbage too--it's a staple in most of my homemade soup. I love brussel sprouts but Hombre won't touch them so I buy them frozen in small quantities to make for myself.

Getting two dental implants next month though so don't know how much I can eat. Will probably go on a mostly liquid diet of my flaxseed oil and flaxseed smoothies with protein powder and whatever else I throw in there. Will try to include all the necessary dietary nutrients.

^ Speaking of cooking, there are quite a few American expats (not military) around here, and one of them runs a cake and tart cafe in one of the small side streets. Yesterday I went there with my friend for coffee and scones with clotted cream. Absolutely delicious! I must ask the guy next time if he makes them himself, because in the counter display I saw a huge apple pie, American style, just like the ones in the pie shop down the road from me when l’m in the US.

I say this because the English pies are totally different. There are so many differences between us.

For sure a healthy diet is far better for us than the junk a lot of people eat as normal fare. Hombre and I aren't fanatics about it--you probably aren't either--but like you we reject most of the processed foods, refined sugar, unhealthy oils etc. We rarely have fried foods any more, and try to incorporate more fruit and veggies into the menus. We're at the age some health problems are inevitable. I mean nobody is going to live forever no matter how healthy their diet, but for sure you can stay healthier and feeling better right up to the end.
After the bypass surgery they wanted my cholesterol down, so I agreed to take this biweekly EpiPen self injection, and it worked. It got my LDL cholesterol down to 45! But after I got home I did an intense deep dive into what causes coronary artery disease, and found that the medical field has dirty little secrets they don't like to tell you about. Like the fact that among all people over 60 years of age, those with lower LDL cholesterol, on average, die sooner than those with higher LDL. So why don't they tell you these things? Well, because most of the studies they use to convince you to take this or that are 'industry driven.' In other words, big pharma is sponsoring the 'studies' and are interested in them finding what they want them to find, because then they can tell you, you need their drugs... so... GREED, and statins for cholesterol are the most prescribed drugs in the world. They are the cash cow of big pharma. Now, I honestly don't really trust doctors and hospitals like I used to.

So after the dive, which lasted weeks, and all the information I uncovered, I stopped taking the cholesterol injection, and that set off calls from the VA wondering why, and when I finally spoke with a cardiologist and related the information that I had learned to her, she disputed NONE of it. So they know, they're just not going to TELL YOU... chronic inflammation causes coronary artery disease, and the two top causes of chronic inflammation are sugar and seed oils. But the hospital is going to tell you to lower your cholesterol, and completely avoid telling you to avoid sugar and seed oils and other things that cause chronic inflammation like alcohol and smoking. Isn't that odd? No, not really.

I found this article among the multitudes that's a condensed version but does touch on the important points. This information can benefit anyone over 60.

Cholesterol Does Not Cause Heart Disease

After the bypass surgery they wanted my cholesterol down, so I agreed to take this biweekly EpiPen self injection, and it worked. It got my LDL cholesterol down to 45! But after I got home I did an intense deep dive into what causes coronary artery disease, and found that the medical field has dirty little secrets they don't like to tell you about. Like the fact that among all people over 60 years of age, those with lower LDL cholesterol, on average, die sooner than those with higher LDL. So why don't they tell you these things? Well, because most of the studies they use to convince you to take this or that are 'industry driven.' In other words, big pharma is sponsoring the 'studies' and are interested in them finding what they want them to find, because then they can tell you, you need their drugs... so... GREED, and statins for cholesterol are the most prescribed drugs in the world. They are the cash cow of big pharma. Now, I honestly don't really trust doctors and hospitals like I used to.

So after the dive, which lasted weeks, and all the information I uncovered, I stopped taking the cholesterol injection, and that set off calls from the VA wondering why, and when I finally spoke with a cardiologist and related the information that I had learned to her, she disputed NONE of it. So they know, they're just not going to TELL YOU... chronic inflammation causes coronary artery disease, and the two top causes of chronic inflammation are sugar and seed oils. But the hospital is going to tell you to lower your cholesterol, and completely avoid telling you to avoid sugar and seed oils and other things that cause chronic inflammation like alcohol and smoking. Isn't that odd? No, not really.

I found this article among the multitudes that's a condensed version but does touch on the important points. This information can benefit anyone over 60.

Cholesterol Does Not Cause Heart Disease
On the other hand my Budwig protocol flaxseed oil slow blended with cottage cheese and flaxseed does wonders for me. Otherwise I use pretty much exclusively olive oil and coconut oil. If I need shortening when I bake I use butter or pure lard. Blood tests have all been good.

On the other hand my Budwig protocol flaxseed oil slow blended with cottage cheese and flaxseed does wonders for me

Can you tell me more on that? I’ve had to modify my diet since the abdominal surgery in December, l told you about.

Can you tell me more on that? I’ve had to modify my diet since the abdominal surgery in December, l told you about.
The Budwing protocol was developed by a German nutritionist/scientist who was purported to have had success in treating 'hopeless' cancer patients using strictly incorporated natural components. Disclaimer: Many U.S. medical people say there is no validity in the concept. I have a close personal friend however who has been cancer free for years now after his squamous cell cancer had metastacized and was pronounced out of control. And he did it entirely holistically with the Budwing protocol. So I neither recommend it nor dispute the possibilities with it.

To render the flaxseed oil water soluble and therefore digestible, you slow blend (preferably with an immersion wand blender though my friend blended it with a small Nutribullet blender. 2 parts cottage cheese to 1 part flax oil. That would be 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese to 1/4 cup flax oil or 1/4 cup cottage cheese to 2 tablespoons flax oil or 6 tablespoons cottage cheese to 3 tablespoons flax oil. I also add a couple tablespoons of ground flaxseed. Then you can sweeten with a bit of Stevia (no other artificial sweeteners allowed) or unrefined honey (no other sugars allowed), berries whatever you like and eat it like pudding.

I prefer to drink mine--and that may be necessary until the implants heal--so I thin it down with pure unsweetened apple juice made from concentrate though any fresh juice or water will do, add some fresh apple, orange, and pea protein powder or sometimes fresh or frozen veggies. The pea protein powder is a complete protein except for methionine but the flax seed is high in methionine. I have an incorrigible sweet tooth so I also add a little raw unrefined honey. Put it all in a blender until sufficiently blended to be drinkable and it's pretty much a complete meal in itself. The pea protein powder I use also contains greens (broccoli and such but that isn't necessary. (My friend who cured his cancer also drank the mix.)

I usually throw in some frozen blueberries and/or crushed ice to make the smoothie really cold but this isn't necessary unless you want it to be really cold.

It is important to blend the cottage cheese and flax oil by themselves until fully blended. If you add other ingredients during this process the bonding will not be complete.

It is important to grind the whole flaxseed into a powder and use it within 20 minutes or so as it loses some of its potency pretty quickly after grinding. The whole flaxseed stores really well for long periods. I use a cheap coffee grinder for that.

The strict Budwig protocol then forbids all other forms of sugar, all processed foods, all other fats or animal protein until the cure is complete. Johanna Budwig was a dedicated vegetarian but if a person chooses to eat animal protein (after you cure whatever autoimmune issue you have) it should be super lean and clean like grass fed beef, free range chicken, wild caught fish and such. And no refined sugars or foods, processed foods, or such is allowed on the maintenance diet after the strict protocol is no longer necessary.

If you aren't curing cancer or whatever with it, it is a healthy dietary supplement and likely a cancer preventer while helping with many autoimmune issues.

Last edited:
The Budwing protocol was developed by a German nutritionist/scientist who was purported to have had success in treating 'hopeless' cancer patients using strictly incorporated natural components. Disclaimer: Many U.S. medical people say there is no validity in the concept. I have a close personal friend however who has been cancer free for years now after his squamous cell cancer had metastacized and was pronounced out of control. And he did it entirely holistically with the Budwing protocol. So I neither recommend it nor dispute the possibilities with it.

To render the flaxseed oil water soluble and therefore digestible, you slow blend (preferably with an immersion wand blender though my friend blended it with a small Nutribullet blender. 2 parts cottage cheese to 1 part flax oil. That would be 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese to 1/4 cup flax oil or 1/4 cup cottage cheese to 2 tablespoons flax oil or 6 tablespoons cottage cheese to 3 tablespoons flax oil. I also add a couple tablespoons of ground flaxseed. Then you can sweeten with a bit of Stevia (no other artificial sweeteners allowed) or unrefined honey, berries whatever you like and eat it like pudding.

I prefer to drink mine--and that may be necessary until the implants heal--so I thin it down with pure unsweetened apple juice made from concentrate though any fresh juice or water will do, add some fresh apple, orange, and pea protein powder or sometimes fresh or frozen veggies. The pea protein powder is a complete protein except for methionine but the flax seed is high in methionine. I have an incorrigible sweet tooth so I also add a little raw unrefined honey. Put it all in a blender until sufficiently blended to be drinkable and it's pretty much a complete meal in itself. The pea protein powder I use also contains greens (broccoli and such but that isn't necessary. (My friend who cured his cancer also drank the mix.)

It is important to blend the cottage cheese and flax oil by themselves until fully blended. If you add other ingredients during this process the bonding will not be complete.

It is important to grind the whole flaxseed into a powder and use it within 20 minutes or so as it loses some of its potency pretty quickly after grinding. The whole flaxseed stores really well for long periods. I use a cheap coffee grinder for that.

The strict Budwig protocol then forbids all other forms of sugar, all processed foods, all other fats or animal protein until the cure is complete. Johanna Budwig was a dedicated vegetarian but if a person choose to eat animal protein (after you cure whatever autoimmune issue you have) it should be super lean and clean like grass fed beef, free range chicken, wild caught fish and such.

If you aren't curing cancer or whatever with it, it is a healthy dietary supplement and I believe a cancer fighter as well as helping with many autoimmune issues.

No, not cancer fighting.

Adhesions… I’ve never heard of that diet.

No, not cancer fighting.

It's just simply good nutrition for whatever reason you might choose it. But again at least American doctors don't ever recommend it for whatever reason. Again there are some who say there is no evidence it does anything it is claimed to help with. My doctor knows I do drink these smoothies I make though and approves of it. But she works with me to deal with issues as holistically as is reasonable too. I like her a lot.

No, not cancer fighting.

And I should add that many medical professions do not recommend the Budwig Diet for those with certain problems like IBS and other issues with the colon and such so it is always good to do your research and run any such dietary change by your doctor. Your adhesions might be a reason not to try it.

I will have to say too that I am pretty much never ever sick and feel good at my advanced age when I have my daily smoothie. But I also ingest very little refined foods or sugar these days so that could be a factor too. Who knows?

And I should add that many medical professions do not recommend the Budwig Diet for those with certain problems like IBS and other issues with the colon and such so it is always good to do your research and run any such dietary change by your doctor. Your adhesions might be a reason not to try it.

I will have to say too that I am pretty much never ever sick and feel good at my advanced age when I have my daily smoothie. But I also ingest very little refined foods or sugar these days so that could be a factor too. Who knows?

The surgeon said no nuts, no beans, no red wine. Lots of water, and walking.

I’ve cut out anything with pips and stalks. Which includes tomatoes, which l loved.

Why do you do this diet?

The surgeon said no nuts, no beans, no red wine. Lots of water, and walking.

I’ve cut out anything with pips and stalks. Which includes tomatoes, which l loved.

Why do you do this diet?
I had some cancer fears as it is very prevalent on both sides of my family. And it was the testimony of my friend who used this diet to literally cure his cancer that got me to try it. I liked the way I felt on it. I do not follow the very strict Budwig Protocol though. The smoothies are just a way to get a lot of very good nutrition easily and without a lot of hassle. I don't have any dietary restrictions recommended by my doctor.

I had some cancer fears as it is very prevalent on both sides of my family. And it was the testimony of my friend who used this diet to literally cure his cancer that got me to try it. I liked the way I felt on it. I do not follow the very strict Budwig Protocol though. The smoothies are just a way to get a lot of very good nutrition easily and without a lot of hassle. I don't have any dietary restrictions recommended by my doctor.

So you take it every day?

So you take it every day?
Pretty much. I will miss a day if we're going out for lunch or dinner or whatever but I make one several times a week. It substitutes for a meal and I'm experimenting with different recipes now for when I won't be able to eat solid food for awhile.

Pretty much. I will miss a day if we're going out for lunch or dinner or whatever but I make one several times a week. It substitutes for a meal and I'm experimenting with different recipes now for when I won't be able to eat solid food for awhile.

Just one meal of it a day?

I was out and about earlier, buying those items, amongst other things.

What drew my interest was your saying you felt so well on that diet. After my recent health woes, l’m starting to feel on the “up”. So anything to enhance that progression…..

As for cancer, a friend sent me something interesting on tumours.

“Did you know a Tumor is not cancer a tumor is your bodies defence mechanism that encloses the cancer in one place so it doesnt spread. Once the tumor is touched ( by a biopsy ) thats when the trouble starts as you have pierced the protection allowing it to spread”.​

I don’t know what to think about that.

Just one meal of it a day?

I was out and about earlier, buying those items, amongst other things.

What drew my interest was your saying you felt so well on that diet. After my recent health woes, l’m starting to feel on the “up”. So anything to enhance that progression…..

As for cancer, a friend sent me something interesting on tumours.

“Did you know a Tumor is not cancer a tumor is your bodies defence mechanism that encloses the cancer in one place so it doesnt spread. Once the tumor is touched ( by a biopsy ) thats when the trouble starts as you have pierced the protection allowing it to spread”.​

I don’t know what to think about that.
I don't either expat. But many people have died from cancer without a biopsy and since many more now survive cancer than die from it I think it probably wise to trust the professionals.

But yes, the fruit and/or veggie smoothies I make including the bonded flax oil and cottage cheese plus a scoop of protein powder makes a pretty balanced nutritious meal for me and the properly balanced omegas in the flax oil mix and ground flax seed do seem to keep down inflammation and my allergies more in check. And when I get my dental implants I will likely do two a day and little or no solid food during the healing process. Just a personal choice for me.

I don't know whether anybody else will get the same results. But I've never seen any testimony that anyone didn't feel a benefit from it so I don't know.

^ Speaking of cooking, there are quite a few American expats (not military) around here, and one of them runs a cake and tart cafe in one of the small side streets. Yesterday I went there with my friend for coffee and scones with clotted cream. Absolutely delicious! I must ask the guy next time if he makes them himself, because in the counter display I saw a huge apple pie, American style, just like the ones in the pie shop down the road from me when l’m in the US.

I say this because the English pies are totally different. There are so many differences between us.
Interesting. I for the most part probably enjoy French cuisine the most of all the various ethnic cuisines but also enjoy lots of other European and Asian influenced dishes. I am pretty eclectic in my tastes. I no longer tolerate the super spicy/hot foods well so do forego hot peppers and other such spices. Probably utilize British cuisine the least and generally not all that fond of Swedish cuisine but there could be exceptions.

And yes there are differences between our various tastes and cultural points of view. And alas I accept that many of the favorites in traditional American cuisine is often not all that good for us. But also we share a lot in common too. How boring life would be if we were all exactly the same.

Forum List

Back