USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well how the hell is everybody? Life goes on up nort' here in Wisconsin. Been 9 months since my triple bypass and feeling great. Did a complete 180 degree turn around on many life habits. Dropped the bad, started the good. Lost 42 pounds and keeping it off, and it's not even really a diet. I just cut out all the garbage processed food, sugar and seed oils, all which are highly toxic to the body. Working for me anyway.

Hope everyone here is good as well.

Been enjoying GETTR quite a bit. I'm "Pushrod" on there.
Glad to hear things are going so well for you 007!

Spring is here! 🤩

IMG_20240307_110227588.jpg

Well how the hell is everybody? Life goes on up nort' here in Wisconsin. Been 9 months since my triple bypass and feeling great. Did a complete 180 degree turn around on many life habits. Dropped the bad, started the good. Lost 42 pounds and keeping it off, and it's not even really a diet. I just cut out all the garbage processed food, sugar and seed oils, all which are highly toxic to the body. Working for me anyway.

OMG. Where the hell have you been? I was about to put out an all points bulletin to determine your well being or lack thereof. I sure didn't know about your heart surgery or you would have been on the vigil list. I accept that folks have moved on and have real lives and other interests, but it is so good when they do check in here now and then.

I also very much miss NOSMOKING, Big Black Dog, gallant warrior, Ernie S, Peachl74, Spoonman and so many others who were once regulars in the Coffee Shop and haven't reported in for months or years. A few others aren't really active anymore but show up to say hi now and then. I fear BBD is no longer sharing his wit and humor here on Earth but hope the others are and are okay.

I wonder if that was the game on the TV screens and very loud speakers at Chilis yesterday when we were having lunch yesterday? Our server did take pity of us and took the noise off the speakers. Not being a hockey fan it wasn't much appreciated especially when it drowned out any opportunity for conversation. My granddaughter is an avid fan though with her favorite being the Tampa Bay Lightning for reasons that escape us and her parents as she has never lived anywhere other than New Mexico and Texas.

But I know spring is here because daffodils are blooming like crazy all over town and the trees are showing some green. I just hope it isn't a seriously false spring.

Last edited:
I wonder if that was the game on the TV screens and very loud speaker at Chilis yesterday when we were having lunch yesterday? Our server did take pity of us and took the noise off the speakers. Not being a hockey fan it wasn't much appreciated especially when it drowned out any opportunity for conversation. My granddaughter is an avid fan though with her favorite being the Tampa Bay Lightning for reasons that escape us and her parents as she has never lived anywhere other than New Mexico and Texas.

But I know spring is here because daffodils are blooming like crazy all over town and the trees are showing some green. I just hope it isn't a seriously false spring.
If you were in Minnesota or western Wisconsin, then one of the tournament games are as likely on.... Otherwise, no.

Sometimes you have to allow a bully to be dealt with by a peer. When our son was about six and the next door neighbor boy was about seven, the seven year old was bullying our son mercilessly. So after observing the dynamics a few times, I brought my son in and gave him some self defense training and how to fight back non lethally and hopefully non injuriously. In other words a shove merited a return shove instead of a right cross. :)

After a good pep talk I with great misgivings sent him out to do battle. I watched through the window as the bully shoved our son so hard he almost fell. Normally he had retreated, sometimes in tears, but this time he didn't. He gathered up all his strength and gave the bully a shove that took him down. Second shove from the bully and again my son pushed him to the ground. A bit of silent consideration followed and they both went off to play and remain very good friends to this day. :)

You were very missed, 007. I like your diet that paid off. I don't cook much any more, but there is a diner 15 miles from here that makes a nutritious salad and I go there twice a week for it. I have several books on food science, general nutrition, and food as medicine and those 2 visits give great minimal calories and maximum minerals, vitamins, and balanced protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Dealing with a lifelong sweet tooth will be in order here, thanks to your post. I probably ought to invest in my Iron Works place again. I have not even visited once since my membership expired a couple of years ago due to fighting off bronchial issues due to allergies in the country. I would like to take off ten pounds in the near future. Wish me luck plz. and thx.

I'm so glad that you came back, 007, and hope it's for keeps.

Last edited:
OMG. Where the hell have you been? I was about to put out an all points bulletin to determine your well being or lack thereof. I sure didn't know about your heart surgery or you would have been on the vigil list. I accept that folks have moved on and have real lives and other interests, but it is so good when they do check in here now and then.

I also very much miss NOSMOKING, Big Black Dog, gallant warrior, Ernie S, Peachl74, Spoonman and so many others who were once regulars in the Coffee Shop and haven't reported in for months or years. A few others aren't really active anymore but show up to say hi now and then. I fear BBD is no longer sharing his wit and humor here on Earth but hope the others are and are okay.
Thanks Ff. I should check in more often. There's no reason not to.

Yes the heart surgery was NOT FUN. I would NOT recommend it. I would recommend to do everything in your power to avoid it, and that is to avoid the foods and liquor and smoking that cause 'chronic inflammation,' which is the root cause of coronary artery disease. I did a deep dive into it after I got back home because all the VA basically told me was I needed to lower my LDL cholesterol, and I found that actually has little to nothing to do with it, and also in fact that people over 60 with artificially lower LDL cholesterol levels die SOONER than those over 60 with HIGHER LDL levels. The problem is chronic inflammation of your arteries and blood vessels, which creates small patches of the inner artery to the outer artery wall, and LDL cholesterol comes along and does what it's supposed to do and that is patch that small area up like a band aide. But once this process starts, that is what causes the cholesterol to begin building up, and if you're putting the wrong things in your body that alter the natural process from this occurring, then you've just begun coronary artery disease. That's a very basic explanation and there's far, far more to it, like the effect sugar has on your blood and how that increases the process of coronary artery disease, and seed oils containing high amounts of 'fatty ACIDS'. Those are the big two... sugar and seed oils. They're virtually TOXIC to your body, but there's more, like all the garbage they put in processed foods. When I hit the grocery store, I hit the outside isles and stay out of all the middle isles. I fresh fruits and veggies, meats, dairy and some frozen, and this is the short of it. I also make sure to get plenty of exercise.

In any case, it would be fun to hear from Spoonman or BBD. I really enjoyed those two. Really hope they're OK. If either are no longer with us, I hope they're resting in peace and God bless them.

You were very missed, 007. I like your diet that paid off. I don't cook much any more, but there is a diner 15 miles from here that makes a nutritious salad and I go there twice a week for it. I have several books on food science, general nutrition, and food as medicine and those 2 visits give great minimal calories and maximum minerals, vitamins, and balanced protein, fat, and carbohydrates. Dealing with a lifelong sweet tooth will be in order here, thanks to your post. I probably ought to invest in my Iron Works place again. I have not even visited once since my membership expired a couple of years ago due to fighting off bronchial issues due to allergies in the country. I would like to take off ten pounds in the near future. Wish me luck plz. and thx.

I'm so glad that you came back, 007, and hope it's for keeps.
Thanks beautress. It's nice to see the what's left of the old gang here too. Glad you're working on a diet. I'll tell ya, I don't even consider what I eat a 'diet' anymore, it's just what I eat now. It's permanent. And after awhile, I craved good food now. I absolutely a love a big salad, but I either use my own home made vinaigrette made with either EVOO or avocado oil, or a store bought one with same. I don't use salad dressings with seed oil or sugar in them. I also eat eggs, which are probably the best source of vitamins and minerals and protein on the planet, and butter, which has ONE ingredient in it, MILK, unless you get the salted butter, which I do. There's nothing wrong with a little salt in your food. We need salt, but there again, I buy a good sea salt, not the processed stuff. I could go on and on about the changes I've made, and really none of them were hard. I just completely did an about face and that was it, and I'm very happy and feeling great.

Oh, and GOOD LUCK taking off the lbs. They should just fall off if you eat healthy. Mine did. I went from 221 the day of my surgery to 178, and I'm keeping it off without trying. It's the weight my body maintains. I went from 38" waist jeans to 34". I haven't worn 34" waist pants since I got out of the military in 1987. Even my SHOES fit better... lol

Yes the heart surgery was NOT FUN. I would NOT recommend it. I would recommend to do everything in your power to avoid it, and that is to avoid the foods and liquor and smoking that cause 'chronic inflammation,' which is the root cause of coronary artery disease. I did a deep dive into it after I got back home because all the VA basically told me was I needed to lower my LDL cholesterol, and I found that actually has little to nothing to do with it, and also in fact that people over 60 with artificially lower LDL cholesterol levels die SOONER than those over 60 with HIGHER LDL levels. The problem is chronic inflammation of your arteries and blood vessels, which creates small patches of the inner artery to the outer artery wall, and LDL cholesterol comes along and does what it's supposed to do and that is patch that small area up like a band aide. But once this process starts, that is what causes the cholesterol to begin building up, and if you're putting the wrong things in your body that alter the natural process from this occurring, then you've just begun coronary artery disease. That's a very basic explanation and there's far, far more to it, like the effect sugar has on your blood and how that increases the process of coronary artery disease, and seed oils containing high amounts of 'fatty ACIDS'. Those are the big two... sugar and seed oils. They're virtually TOXIC to your body, but there's more, like all the garbage they put in processed foods. When I hit the grocery store, I hit the outside isles and stay out of all the middle isles. I fresh fruits and veggies, meats, dairy and some frozen, and this is the short of it. I also make sure to get plenty of exercise.

In any case, it would be fun to hear from Spoonman or BBD. I really enjoyed those two. Really hope they're OK. If either are no longer with us, I hope they're resting in peace and God bless them.
For sure a healthy diet is far better for us than the junk a lot of people eat as normal fare. Hombre and I aren't fanatics about it--you probably aren't either--but like you we reject most of the processed foods, refined sugar, unhealthy oils etc. We rarely have fried foods any more, and try to incorporate more fruit and veggies into the menus. We're at the age some health problems are inevitable. I mean nobody is going to live forever no matter how healthy their diet, but for sure you can stay healthier and feeling better right up to the end.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

All three of you made Foxfires Coffee Lounge a lot of fun, along with SFCOllie who checks in once in a while. He has a lot going in his service to find the military families of those who gave their lives for months on end. I suppose he stays busy with his caring for the families and other friends he helped through the years. My grandparents were active in veteran affairs after WWI, till grandpa died in the 60s. Grandma kept on with her Auxiliary work, and when I was small, she took me to the corner to help with the sale of crepe paper poppies several times on Veterans Days. She claimed she sold more poppies for the veterans when I went with her. I loved going places with her. One year she took me to a big factory where she picked up the poppies for the "sales." I didn't know the word charity because some of the vets who wanted to have a poppy pinned to their lapels we're so kind to us. What does a four-year-old kid know! I had no idea what all that good will was all about, but it drew me close to my grandmother, and I now know what all that meant to her and Grandpa Shurtleff.

Oh shit...The four-game quarterfinal Thursday session always screws with my head.....lmao
It's okay. Appreciated whatever day though the Saturday morning cartoons has a historical and cultural significance. I'll try to resist going to church in the morning. :)

Reminds me of many years ago I was working for a small rural hospital that had a fantastic cafeteria--meals were part of our compensation. Every Friday they had melt-in-your-mouth wonderful fried chicken farm fresh from surrounding farmers and it was very much appreciated and we looked forward to that. Then one week they had fried chicken on Wednesday. (Seems a grateful farmer provided them a gift of a lot of fryers.)

I'm surprised anybody showed up for work the next day other than the usual weekend shifts.

We very rarely afford real maple syrup these days because it is very expensive here. We do buy raw unrefined honey and use it as a sweetener in lieu of storebought sugar laden syrup. It's also expensive but more affordable than maple syrup. I would love to see the maple sap prepared for market though.

Forum List

Back