USDA Whistleblower: 70% of Supermarket Ground Beef Contains 'Pink Slime'

Buy your beef locally from a farm you can actually visit.

I have a couple friends of mine who pitch in and we buy a whole cow every year and split it up.

I grind my own hamburg so i know exactly what I'm eating.

Last night i thawed out a gorgeous tenderloin and cut it into 2 inch thick filets. Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight.

This would not be a problem if conservatives ruled,

because there would be no USDA, no FDA,

because federal inspection and regulation of the food industry is not an 'enumerated' power.

:lol:

This would clearly fall under interstate commerce. There's certainly a good reason for having an FDA, but when the government does nothing about the corruption and ineptness of the agency then it flies in the face of the very idea of regulating the commerce to begin with.

What good is a regulatory agency that ultimately looks out for the interests of big business over the consumer it's supposed to be PROTECTING from big business?

So you admit that LACK of regulation is the problem. fine.

The EPA is justified under interstate commerce as well. How many conservatives acknowledge that????

No it's not necessarily a lack, it's more of a misdirection of regulation. There's PLENTY of regulation of the beef industry, yet somehow consumers aren't being informed that a package of meat they're choosing at their grocery store contains a disgusting fatty additive that's been sprayed with ammonia gas. Make sense of that for me if you can.

As far as the EPA, again it comes down to common sense. There's pollution I can see with my own 2 eyes and can choose not to do business with a company because of, and then there's pollution I CAN'T see and therefore have no way of knowing if it's a company I should do business with. In the latter case, that's where the EPA comes in.

70 Percent of Ground Beef at Supermarkets Contains ‘Pink Slime’ - ABC News

Zirnstein and his fellow USDA scientist, Carl Custer, both warned against using what the industry calls “lean finely textured beef,” widely known now as “pink slime,” but their government bosses overruled them.

The “pink slime” is made by gathering waste trimmings, simmering them*at*low heat so the fat separates easily from the muscle, and spinning the trimmings using a centrifuge to complete the separation. Next, the mixture is sent through pipes where it is sprayed with ammonia gas to kill bacteria. The process is completed by packaging the meat into bricks. Then, it is frozen and shipped to grocery stores and meat packers, where it is added to most ground beef.

“The under*secretary*said, ‘it’s pink, therefore it’s meat,’” Custer told ABC News.
ABC News has learned the woman who made the decision to*OK the mix is a former undersecretary of agriculture, Joann Smith. It was a call that led to hundred of millions of dollars for Beef Products Inc., the makers of pink slime.
When Smith stepped down from the USDA in 1993, BPI’s principal major supplier appointed her to its board of directors, where she made at least $1.2 million over 17 years.

Smith did not return ABC News’ calls for comment and BPI said it had nothing to do with her appointment. The USDA said while her appointment was*legal at the time, under current ethics rules*Smith could not have immediately joined the board.

Yes I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with the appointment at all.

Is everyone else as pleased as I am with how the government looks out for our best interests?

Pink slime aka fat.

Nothing to see here folks.

BEEF...... it's what's for diinner.

I thought you righties were all about self responsibility? Grow your own damn cows, slaughter them, and grind up the beef. Why are you looking for a government handout?
When beef is sold between states, it becomes a matter of interstate commerce, which the constitution clearly authorizes the regulation of.

So when that regulation comes up short you better believe I'm going to call it out.

Thanks for proving that you are a selective conservative, and only want the government as large as YOU deem necessary...
Thanks for proving that given an opportunity to compromise on an issue of regulation where a rightie is displaying a willingness to, you would prefer to be a partisan hack.

This is just more government corruption. This was approved under Democrat Bill Clinton's administration by undersecretary of agriculture, Joann Smith. Any fool who puts their faith in government to look after their best interest is an idiot. The Democrats truth in labeling regulation has also failed.

The consumer demand free market forced McDonalds to stop serving this pink slime a while ago. Government does not have your back. They believe you are a useless eater & would prefer to kill you off. Business believes you are a valued customer & does what it takes to keep your business.

because federal inspection and regulation of the food industry is not an 'enumerated' power.

This would clearly fall under interstate commerce. There's certainly a good reason for having an FDA, but when the government does nothing about the corruption and ineptness of the agency then it flies in the face of the very idea of regulating the commerce to begin with.

What good is a regulatory agency that ultimately looks out for the interests of big business over the consumer it's supposed to be PROTECTING from big business?

Please show us the proof that this is clearly defined by the CONUS or any of it's amendments?

Please show us the proof that this is clearly defined by the CONUS or any of it's amendments?

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Regulating interstate commerce is an enumerated power. The only viable debate is in how the regulation is implemented.

You're clearly proving that you just can't please the left.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Regulating interstate commerce is an enumerated power. The only viable debate is in how the regulation is implemented.

After months of shreiking from the right about our government doing ONLY what is specifically outlined in the Constitution, I find it laughable that now some of you want to negotiate. Reap what you have sown....

This is just more government corruption. This was approved under Democrat Bill Clinton's administration by undersecretary of agriculture, Joann Smith. Any fool who puts their faith in government to look after their best interest is an idiot. The Democrats truth in labeling regulation has also failed.

The consumer demand free market forced McDonalds to stop serving this pink slime a while ago. Government does not have your back. They believe you are a useless eater & would prefer to kill you off. Business believes you are a valued customer & does what it takes to keep your business.

So true, but the loser left will never admit this.

Article 1, Section 8 - Enumerated Powers.

After months of shreiking from the right about our government doing ONLY what is specifically outlined in the Constitution, I find it laughable that now some of you want to negotiate. Reap what you have sown....
Let me know when you graduate kindergarten.

Yup.

The FDA falls down on the job all the time, without doubt.

Now just imagine what the state of affairs would be if they didn't exist at all!

Yup.

The FDA falls down on the job all the time, without doubt.

Now just imagine what the state of affairs would be if they didn't exist at all!
This is the USDA, not the FDA, BTW.

And, if you read the thread, no one is asking that either the USDA or the FDA stop existing.

We are asking that they actually cease being incompetent on our dime.

Last edited:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and Post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings; And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Still can't seem to find that whole "put a label on the beef telling us what the pink slime is"....

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offenses against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings; And

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Still can't seem to find that whole "put a label on the beef telling us what the pink slime is"....
No doubt you can't.

Stop being an idiot. Congress has the authority to regulate the beef market, and the whole point of the thread is to discuss the proper way of going about it.

Right, while the government grows leaps and bounds this is just the USDA doing their part to make it smaller. :rolleyes:

This isn't how I envision smaller government. Regulating interstate commerce is well within the constitutional limits on government. Proper regulation in this regard is to let companies use this pink slime but to require a label placed on any package of beef that contains it, indicating it's presence. I can't as a consumer make an informed choice in my beef purchasing if I don't even know everything about what's in my choices.

You sure need to do some more investigation. Believing that corporate america is looking out for your welfare seems to be a distant dream.

This doesn't even make any sense. I just said that proper regulation would be to require a label indicating the presence of the additive.

The whole point is that these regulatory agencies DON't look out for the consumer.
Well, at least the ones headed by GOP appointees like GHW Bush appointee Joann Smith.

Notice how the CON$erviNutzis blame Clinton for the actions of the GHW BOOOOOOSH appointee Joann Smith. Everything the GOP fucks up is always the fault of some Dem somewhere.

New Topics

Forum List

Back