USA (ACA mainly) Health system v. other countries

jamie_hmp

Rookie
Dec 5, 2015
Hey... we had a class project where we had to make a 'creative' video on the differences.... I was wondering if the reason (as indicated in the video) we see inefficiencies in our health system (more so than other countries) is because of too much federal regulation or too much free market (as the video states)? Our health system originated mostly as a free market but high costs, poor coverage gaps, and inefficiencies led to regulation...which has placed us here (like the video says)...

Ohh I understand it's hard to compare other countries... but they do seem to do better...

This is the same sorry tripe that gets posted whenever this discussion comes up.

The rankings are rigged and don't normalize their data.

The U.S. has the best outcomes in certain tiers and given how much we spend they might as well say the U.S. has about five different health care systems.

One of them is the greatest in the world.

Then you get this....

This Country Has the Best Health Care in the World (Nope, It’s Not the U.S.)

which is beyond commical.

The NHS is the best system in the world ??????

ROTFLMAO
For the average person who is not in the first tier, that is their choice. Which is your choice?
This is the same sorry tripe that gets posted whenever this discussion comes up.

The rankings are rigged and don't normalize their data.

The U.S. has the best outcomes in certain tiers and given how much we spend they might as well say the U.S. has about five different health care systems.

One of them is the greatest in the world.
What do you mean by 'don't normalise their data' and how do you know this?

Post a better survey then.

How do the five systems average out compared to other nations' systems?

Last edited:
Hey... we had a class project where we had to make a 'creative' video on the differences.... I was wondering if the reason (as indicated in the video) we see inefficiencies in our health system (more so than other countries) is because of too much federal regulation or too much free market (as the video states)? Our health system originated mostly as a free market but high costs, poor coverage gaps, and inefficiencies led to regulation...which has placed us here (like the video says)...

Actually, the limitless quest for power by politicians and the limitless sheep among the left led to socialized medicine

Doesn't matter what your politics are, everyone knows we spend way, WAY too much on healthcare. Seems our system's greatest talent is for making a select few very rich from having a sick country. It has never really made sense to me that we should have a private insurance middle man who acts as a pimp between us and our direct healthcare providers. The benefit of single-payer would be eliminating that part of the equation and having we the people negotiate prices the way every other developed country does.

If Medicare drug prices are good enough for grandma and uncle Joe who fought in the Middle East, they're good enough for everyone. We've actually saved so much and cut senior poverty dramatically by giving them single-payer. And healthcare outcomes are essentially the same elsewhere. We already deliver outstanding care. The whole infrastructure is already in place. Just stop making it for profit and we'll all save a ton over time, and saving money seem like a practical, conservative thing to do. Let's get rid of the insurance racket and take control of this thing, I say.

Doesn't matter what your politics are, everyone knows we spend way, WAY too much on healthcare. Seems our system's greatest talent is for making a select few very rich from having a sick country. It has never really made sense to me that we should have a private insurance middle man who acts as a pimp between us and our direct healthcare providers. The benefit of single-payer would be eliminating that part of the equation and having we the people negotiate prices the way every other developed country does.

If Medicare drug prices are good enough for grandma and uncle Joe who fought in the Middle East, they're good enough for everyone. We've actually saved so much and cut senior poverty dramatically by giving them single-payer. And healthcare outcomes are essentially the same elsewhere. We already deliver outstanding care. The whole infrastructure is already in place. Just stop making it for profit and we'll all save a ton over time, and saving money seem like a practical, conservative thing to do. Let's get rid of the insurance racket and take control of this thing, I say.

Hey guy, thanks for fixing it by doubling the cost of my policy. This must be some use of the term "affordable care" that I hadn't previously heard before.

If you think something is expensive now, wait until it's free...

Then you get this....
Yeah, you get denial without data to back it up even though data has been presented to support the original assertion.

The original assertion is based on subjective parameters (such as availability). This is why the WHO rates the U.S. so low.

Our health care system is great.

It is our health insurance system that needs a serious overhaul.

For the average person who is not in the first tier, that is their choice. Which is your choice?

That's a good question.

The same should be applied to the NHS.

Britian does have private sector health providers. In effect giving them a two-tiered system. My friends over there tell me it is actually more like three tiers depending upon income.

Yes, the idea of spending 16% of GDP on health care is pretty silly.

However, since the ACA came into play, I have not heard any statistics on how much we are spending now.

I assumed that if it came down, the left would be crowing about success.

I also assumed that if it stayed where it was, the right would be crowing failure.

Nobody on either side can provide that statistic.

What happened ?

Medicare seem to be growing as an unfunded liability.

Do you really think that a program that is robbing Peter to pay Paul is a success.

I read all kinds of numbers depending upon the hyperbolic nature of the site...but it seems to be a pretty common theme.

The source is a recognized good source internationally.

You're new here. What you need to understand is that any source that doesn't fit the confirmation bias of the dominant group will be dismissed as bogus.

That said, in my observation access to health insurance in the U.S. went downhill as soon as nonprofit insurers ("the Blues") had to compete with the for-profit insurers entering the market.

The original assertion is based on subjective parameters (such as availability). This is why the WHO rates the U.S. so low.

Our health care system is great.

It is our health insurance system that needs a serious overhaul.
As though availability is subjective.

Again no data is presented to support denial in the face of data presented to back up the original assertion.

Same ol', same ol'.

Forum List

Back