US Steel shutters last Granite City steel furnace "indefinitely".

Who is making a ridiculous wage? The workers? That's debatable.
Management by Imagination

The Sissies in Suitcoats pass along ungrammatical memoranda to one another bragging about how they are the only productive echelon in the business. They didn't work their way up from the ground floor, so they know little about how their business operates and care even less. Their professors had told them that they are mentally superior to blue-collar workers, whom they look down upon as losers too lazy to go to college and whose jobs are easy to understand and easy to do.

Hard to compete with cheap Chinese steel. Up to 1,400 union jobs may be eliminated. From the Mayor's comments it sounds like a total shutdown is in the works...

"On Tuesday, U.S. Steel said the move to idle the blast furnace indefinitely was made to balance its production with customer demand.

The company's steel rolling and finishing operations at the site will continue, using metal slabs from other facilities.

Granite City Mayor Mike Parkinson said he is already thinking about the buildings and land that will be left vacant as parts of the plant close. He said he is concerned with how those areas will be maintained, and is raising the issue with U.S. Steel."

It has been a long, slow process over the last couple of decades. Granite City was once a thriving community that was the envy of all the surrounding communities with all the best parks and schools and the like.

One by one the mills have closed or slowed down and the town is a husk of what it used to be. I am not anti-union but much of this was self inflicted wounds by the unions. Knew far too many union folks that worked there that would try to out brag each other over how little work they actually did

It has been a long, slow process over the last couple of decades. Granite City was once a thriving community that was the envy of all the surrounding communities with all the best parks and schools and the like.

One by one the mills have closed or slowed down and the town is a husk of what it used to be. I am not anti-union but much of this was self inflicted wounds by the unions. Knew far too many union folks that worked there that would try to out brag each other over how little work they actually did
May Bankrupt Anonymously

Yes-men in management set the example for non-productivity.

They're a big reason places close. It's not the guys doing the heavy work. They have zero blame.

Simply not true.

I had a good friend that worked at the Granite City mill. He was a union member and he used to brag often about how he got to sleep for half of his shift. He drove the truck thing that moved the big giant rolls of steel once they were made. That was his only job and he could not be made to do anything else. In an 8 hour overnight shift he would normally have to do it twice. The rest of the time he was "resting" for the next time he had to do.

Simply not true.

I had a good friend that worked at the Granite City mill. He was a union member and he used to brag often about how he got to sleep for half of his shift. He drove the truck thing that moved the big giant rolls of steel once they were made. That was his only job and he could not be made to do anything else. In an 8 hour overnight shift he would normally have to do it twice. The rest of the time he was "resting" for the next time he had to do.
Normally I would suspect you of lying

But I have met union workers from the railroads and one former GM factory worker who proudly boasted about how they screwed the company and got away with it

But, there has to be a better answer than abdicating production to our most dangerous enemy in the world

I’m sure in the interests of fairness the commies will give us all the steel we need for our tanks and ships

Or at least thats how our native globalists look at it
This is the problem with becoming totally dependent on nations that want us dead.

We are a different place than WWII when we got Willow Run working 24/4 producing what we needed for the war

This is the problem with becoming totally dependent on nations that want us dead.

We are a different place than WWII when we got Willow Run working 24/4 producing what we needed for the war
Yes, the problem with offshoring industry to china

Capitalism does have some pitfalls.

And no, a business does not exists to provide for the workers. It exists to make a profit. Period.

Forum List

Back