US Ranks Poorly IN Life Expectancy And Infant Mortality

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Political Junky, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,534
    Health care in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<excerpt>
    Currently, the U.S. has a higher infant mortality rate than most of the world's industrialized nations.[nb 1][11] The USA's life expectancy lags 42nd in the world, after most rich nations, lagging last of the G5 (Japan, France, Germany, UK, USA) and just after Chile (35th) and Cuba (37th).[12][13][14]

The USA's life expectancy is ranked 50th in the world after the European Union (40th).[15][16] The World Health Organization (WHO), in 2000, ranked the U.S. health care system as the highest in cost, first in responsiveness, 37th in overall performance, and 72nd by overall level of health (among 191 member nations included in the study).[17][18] A 2008 report by the Commonwealth Fund ranked the United States last in the quality of health care among the 19 compared countries.[19]

According to the Institute of Medicine of the United States National Academies, the United States is the "only wealthy, industrialized nation that does not ensure that all citizens have coverage" (i.e. some kind of insurance).[20][21] The same Institute of Medicine report notes that "Lack of health insurance causes roughly 18,000 unnecessary deaths every year in the United States." [20] while a 2009 Harvard study published in the American Journal of Public Health found a much higher figure of more than 44,800 excess deaths annually in the United States due to Americans lacking health insurance.[22][23] More broadly, the total number of people in the United States, whether insured or uninsured, who die because of lack of medical care was estimated in a 1997 analysis to be nearly 100,000 per year.[24]

On March 23, 2010, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act became law, providing for major changes in health-insurance procedures.[25]

2. Tom Clancy

Tom Clancy Clancy for Ron Paul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    I blame the American Diet, mostly.

Japan has one of the highest life Expectancy's because of their Diet and Health. Kinda makes me wanna move there.. I would eat Sushi every day.

3. Political Junky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,534
    You have to move to Japan to eat sushi every day?

4. Tom Clancy

Tom Clancy Clancy for Ron Paul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Not my point..

Let me rephrase..

I'd eat Authentic Japanese sushi everyday if i was there.. and it's probably cheaper.

5. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,718
    Propaganda.

In the U.S, severely premature babies that show even the most minimal signs of life are counted as live births. In most other countries, they are counted as still born, and do not affect the infant mortality stats.

Sadly, such heroic methods to preserve the lives of premature babies will most likely be eliminated as "too expensive" once ObamaCare is in full force.

6. Political Junky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,534
    Link?

7. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Health Scare?

Lack of health insurance causes roughly 18,000 unnecessary deaths every year in the United States
    :eek:

44,800 excess deaths annually in the United States due to Americans lacking health insurance
    :eek::eek:

total number of people in the United States, whether insured or uninsured, who die because of lack of medical care was estimated in a 1997 analysis to be nearly 100,000 per year
    :eek::eek::eek:

:eusa_eh:

:eusa_hand:

I'd rather be Dead in the USA, than Alive in Cuba, France, UK, Japan, or Germany, where they need to keep their stagnant populations from dieing and not being able to contribute to a shrinking tax base.

8. Political Junky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,534
    Rather be dead in the US, oh my.
    If anyone uses "Health Scare" it's the Cons' lies about death panels.

9. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Stupid leftist kook non sequitur jabbering point, that is no more relevant to anything the 1,000,001st time it's re-re-re-re-repeated than the 1,000,000th time.

10. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Someone call Political Junky's doctor and tell him that the meds are no longer working, since he's apparently reverted back to his first day on this board and is having every conversation he's ever had here - most of them multiple times - all over again.

It's always sad to watch senility and dementia take hold.