US Forest Service Controlled Burning

Roadrunner

Roadrunner
May 6, 2013
USA
As I sat here choking and wondering why, I got up to throw on some laundry, and realize I am downwind of another "controlled" burn.

Last one rained ash down for two days, but, luckily did not set the woods here on fire.

I realize controlled burns save us from California like wildfires, but, with all the unemployment and welfare, I think it would be better policy to use the abundance of unskilled labor that is available, and cut brush by hand and pack it out and use it for something, rather than burn it.

And I wouldn't be gasping for air either.

I feel your pain.....
When the mexicans burn their sugarcane fields and the wind is right we get smoke all the way down to Houston.
Makes for some spectacular sunrises and sunsets though.

As far as burning vs cutting,I would think burning would be better just because it's the natural way....not to sound like a tree hugger.

I feel your pain.....
When the mexicans burn their sugarcane fields and the wind is right we get smoke all the way down to Houston.
Makes for some spectacular sunrises and sunsets though.

As far as burning vs cutting,I would think burning would be better just because it's the natural way....not to sound like a tree hugger.
Well, the natural way would be a mix of native trees, not pine plantations the US Forest Service maintains here.

That is where the burning takes place.

In the few remaining naturally mixed forests, they do not burn.

Nature may burn it now and then, but, rarely.

These last few days I have spent in cathedrals of white oaks, mixed with huge native pines.

And people say there is no God!

Most of the US was deforested by the 1900's. Many areas like Missouri had to replant trees but very few pine remains after WWII..

Most of the US was deforested by the 1900's. Many areas like Missouri had to replant trees but very few pine remains after WWII..
This area was so badly denuded the timber companies just gave it to the Feds.

Now it is managed as pine plantations to the benefit of the same timber companies.

Most don't know it, but many of the National Forests of the South are reminders of a cultural genocide, in which the old backwoods farmers were forced out as the Feds took over.

The woods here used to be full of old cabins, some even still had belongings in them, but, they are getting harder and harder to find.

Great places to hunt bottles though.

The woods here used to be full of old cabins, some even still had belongings in them, but, they are getting harder and harder to find.

Great places to hunt bottles though.

I always wanted to get a GOOD metal detector. That seems like fun to me.

Forum List

Back