US county scraps ‘American Christian Heritage Month’ after local Jewish outcry

AMart

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2020
Disgusting. Christians can't even have 1 month.

Jewish residents of California’s El Dorado applaud cancellation of planned annual event, which critics say wrongfully promoted idea of United States as Christian country​

Jewish residents of California’s El Dorado applaud cancellation of planned annual event, which critics say wrongfully promoted idea of United States as Christian country​

Every month is Christian's Month.

And Jesus would be LOLing about this, and/or facepalming at what ya'll have done to His movement.

Every month is Christian's Month.

And Jesus would be LOLing about this, and/or facepalming at what ya'll have done to His movement.
You lie, you lie, you lie.

The problem was that the proclamation was that America was founded by Christians, when the founders specifically wanted to remove religion from government. This event was promoting the idea that America is a Christian nation, which of course is wrong.

Besides, many of the founders were not Christian. They believed in a deity - not in Jesus.

Any government proclamation isn't going to affect me. Luckily nobody is keeping me from reading the Bible each day nor preventing me from trying my best to live the way while giving thanks to Jesus.

Any government proclamation isn't going to affect me. Luckily nobody is keeping me from reading the Bible each day nor preventing me from trying my best to live the way while giving thanks to Jesus.
That’s because you’re Christian, so you have no problems having the country declared a Christian nation. That would move us one step closer to opening the school day with a “thanks to Jesus” prayer, thus marginalizing Jewish, Muslim, and other children.

It was bad enough when I went to school and we had to all make ornaments for ”our” Christmas trees. I made a Chanukkah decoration Instead and was yelled at by the teacher.

That’s because you’re Christian, so you have no problems having the country declared a Christian nation. That would move us one step closer to opening the school day with a “thanks to Jesus” prayer, thus marginalizing Jewish, Muslim, and other children.

It was bad enough when I went to school and we had to all make ornaments for ”our” Christmas trees. I made a Chanukkah decoration Instead and was yelled at by the teacher.
I hope you gave them a nice copy of Anne Frank's diary for Xmas.

Kill ignorance with kindness.

Unless you're me - I like to be mean no matter what. :)

I hope you gave them a nice copy of Anne Frank's diary for Xmas.

Kill ignorance with kindness.

Unless you're me - I like to be mean no matter what. :)
It happened when I was only 7. Later on, I would have spoken up.

Even though I am an atheist - I find this decision idiotic

The vast majority of the US population is Christian, logically the USA is a Christian Nation that grants religious freedom - just as e.g. Germany
That such an action will naturally provoke antisemitism is also understood.

That’s because you’re Christian, so you have no problems having the country declared a Christian nation.

Actually, the county's proclamation was, "Declaration of American Christian Heritage Month".

The one problem I have is in its title. "Christian" isn't inclusive enough. Especially considering the 2nd of the declarations 3 resolutions.

THEREFORE, BE IT
RESOLVED,
That the month of July each year is designated as "American Christian History Month," to recognize the impact of religious beliefs on America's history; and be it further
RESOLVED, That the rich spiritual and diverse religious history of our nation, from its founding to the current day be affirmed; and be it further
RESOLVED, That any effort to remove, obscure, or purposely omit such history from our nation's public buildings and educational resources be rejected in the strongest manner.

Have a good Yom Kippur.

Actually, the county's proclamation was, "Declaration of American Christian Heritage Month".

The one problem I have is in its title. "Christian" isn't inclusive enough. Especially considering the 2nd of the declarations 3 resolutions.

THEREFORE, BE IT
RESOLVED,
That the month of July each year is designated as "American Christian History Month," to recognize the impact of religious beliefs on America's history; and be it further
RESOLVED, That the rich spiritual and diverse religious history of our nation, from its founding to the current day be affirmed; and be it further
RESOLVED, That any effort to remove, obscure, or purposely omit such history from our nation's public buildings and educational resources be rejected in the strongest manner.

Have a good Yom Kippur.
Thanks. And I agree with you, of course, that “Christian” in the title isn’t inclusive enough, since it then says to “recognize the importance of religious beliefs….” Why then should it be labeled “Christian” specifically?

Perhaps “American Religions History Month” would have avoided the problem.

The problem was that the proclamation was that America was founded by Christians, when the founders specifically wanted to remove religion from government. This event was promoting the idea that America is a Christian nation, which of course is wrong.

Besides, many of the founders were not Christian. They believed in a deity - not in Jesus.
Actually 98% of the people America was founded by were Christians.

Have you ever read The New England Primer?

It was the De Facto textbook for American schools until around the 1960s.

Read some and tell me what you see. :rolleyes-41:

Yes, America was founded as a Christian nation.

"Spiritual Milk for American Babes".

That was one of the main books for all schools in America up until the 1960s.

Notably, America started declining in the 1960s.

Last edited:
As I read it, "...the month of July each year is designated as American Christian History Month, to recognize the impact of religious beliefs on America's history..." is nothing more than a recognition of the impacts on American history that are attributable to the influence of Christianity. Nor would I have any problem with having an "Italian American History Month," or an "African American History Month" - don't we have that already?

This complaint is raised by an organization of professional umbrage-takers, who richly deserve to be ignored.

Forum List

Back