Upcoming US Navy commissionings

Montana is my home state and IMHO left out far too long in the US Navy ship naming program.

SSN-794 is the fourth ship to bear the name.

BB-67 was never started, being cancelled 21 Jul 1943.

BB-51 had her keel laid 1 Sep 1920, but was scrapped unfinished in 1923 as one of the capital ships cancelled under the Washington Naval Treaty.

ACR-13 was an armored cruiser later redesigned USS Missoula (CA-13), 7 Jul 1920.

Montana is the only one of the (48) US states never to have had a battleship with a "BB" hull classification completed in its honor.

the US has got some $$$$$$ for ships
...I was on 4 ships-LPH, LHA, and 2 LSTs and all have been decommissioned a long time ago
...the 1978 LHA USS Nassau [ my service 1990 ] seemed so brand ''new'' compared to the 1969 LPH USS Inchon [ my service 1987 ]--I was ''surprised to see it gone so ''soon''
..I see they are building another LHA --the Nassau had a well deck, then the next versions didn't?? now the LHA-8 will go back to having a well deck??
....a good thread would be where does the military spend the most $$$$---ships?

the US has got some $$$$$$ for ships
...I was on 4 ships-LPH, LHA, and 2 LSTs and all have been decommissioned a long time ago
...the 1978 LHA USS Nassau [ my service 1990 ] seemed so brand ''new'' compared to the 1969 LPH USS Inchon [ my service 1987 ]--I was ''surprised to see it gone so ''soon''
..I see they are building another LHA --the Nassau had a well deck, then the next versions didn't?? now the LHA-8 will go back to having a well deck??
....a good thread would be where does the military spend the most $$$$---ships?

You are correct. The USS America is LHA-6 and USS Tripoli LHA-7 will not have a well deck, but USS Bougainville LHA-8 will!

I was on Nassau from 92-94. It was commissioned in 1979 and shares a birthday with my son of July 28. I was actually there in Norfolk when she was commissioned, but I was an ETN3 at the time.

My oldest daughter was born the same day they commissioned the USS Alabama SSBN in 1984.

Forum List

Back