Up North Michigan

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
Do you guys have an "up north" in your state? Up north MI is so amazing. And I'm not even counting the U.P. But where is Up North Michigan you ask? It's hard to say. There is no dividing line. Although some say it's once you cross over the Zilwaukee Bridge. My brother found this sign this weekend and he bought it.

Up North
There is a lot of talk about up north.
It's the place EVERYONE seems to want to go to escape the pressures and frantic pace of everyday life
But where is up north?
For "up north" is not so much a location as it is a state of mind
So, how do you know when you've arrived?
When you feel the cares of the world begin to slip away
When you feel yourself breathing a little deeper because
the air seems purer somehow
When you notice the sky is bluer, the trees taller, and the people smile a lot...
Then you know you're
UP NORTH

My in-laws have a place in Wolverine.

I love places I've never been to before. I think everyone does that's why so many people spend so much traveling. I'm sure you know the Gaylord exit? We get off on that exit.

So I'm looking on a map to see what water is near you. Is it the Sturgeon River? Is that a fun fast moving river?

Silver Lake? Wildwood Lake? What lakes do you swim at when you're up there?

Do they own a lot of property?

My brother has 65 acres. A river runs through the back of it. Great hunting. Close to Boyne Mountain and Lake Charlevoix.

I love places I've never been to before. I think everyone does that's why so many people spend so much traveling. I'm sure you know the Gaylord exit? We get off on that exit.

So I'm looking on a map to see what water is near you. Is it the Sturgeon River? Is that a fun fast moving river?

Silver Lake? Wildwood Lake? What lakes do you swim at when you're up there?

Do they own a lot of property?

My brother has 65 acres. A river runs through the back of it. Great hunting. Close to Boyne Mountain and Lake Charlevoix.

Probably somewhere around 10 acres with a cabin right on the Sturgeon River.

Route 75 and a left onto S Straits Hwy past Walt’s Crawlers on the right and a little further down Worley’s Whippy Dip on the left. Sometimes we’ll stop into Vicky Js Home of the 3 Inch Burger for a quick beer.

Silver Lake or Burt’s Lake for a swim.

At some point during our visits there we always made sure to head over to Pelston for a chicken dinner at The Damsite.

The most spectacular place north is the state of Alaska, some of the best hunting, fishing, great mountain views, in the summer long days, gold, glaciers, waterfalls, deer, moose, elk, fox, grizzly bear, black bear, wolf, reindeer, bison, thick forests, it is all there in one place, places so remote you may not see anyone for days, friendly people, it is all there.

My state has an "Up North", it's called Chicago.

The drive to Mackinaw Island is a beautiful drive, and I couldn't believe how nice the roads are in northern Michigan, it had all been replaced over the previous years, that was obvious.

I live in it.

A lot of times I feel the same way. I live on a lake. I'm only 30 minutes from Detroit but boy is it beautiful. It's crazy how fast it can go from paradise to Detroit. Or even a lot of Metro Detroit cities are not green and beautiful. They may not be as bad as Detroit but they aren't as nice as where I live. And a lot of Detroiters have moved in to my community since the Great Recession of 2008. Let's hope they don't ruin it. Occasionally you have to deal with one of them on the road or in a store but for the most part they live in the low income apartments not on the lake. Basically I live on the dividing line. Low rent apartments on the right and expensive homes on the left.

Anyways, we ride our Ebikes from my house to a close by metro park. Holy shit is my area beautiful. But still, it's not up north. But I know what you mean. If I get on my boat and go out to the middle of the lake and turn off the engine, I may as well be up north.

Funny thing. This weekend we went to East Jordan, MI. They were having fireworks. So was my home town back in metro Detroit. So my brother and I walked the peer and we saw all the boats out close to the fireworks barge. I said to my brother, "wouldn't you love to be on one of those boats?" and he said yea. I said, DUDE, THERE ARE FIREWORKS ON MY LAKE TONIGHT. WE COULD HAVE BEEN HOME DOING THAT ON MY LAKE". He said, "oh yea. let's do that next time". LOL.

We always say it would be nice if the place was a little closer. I can get there in 3.5 hours if I don't stop. Wouldn't it be nice if it were only 2 hours away instead?

But

1. There is no where as good 2 hours away
2. Land is a lot more expensive the closer you get
3. This is near Boyne Mountain. So lots to do in the area. Even for the women. Near Charlevoix and Boyne City. We had a place once in the thumb. It was nice but the town was a ghost town unless it was a holiday. And the property values lower. That was cheaper and closer but not as good.
4. It has to be a get away. It can't be your home. The people who live up north don't get the same warm feeling when we go up to escape.

Yes, we always say "man I wish I lived up here all year round" but I'm not sure we mean it. It gets boring quick. It's nice to go for 2-7 days. Especially during hunting season. But there isn't a lot to do. The closest town is 20 miles away.

Tell me more about where you live. Even though I live my place and my brothers vacation home(s) I'm always interested in hearing about what other people have. He has vacation homes in Greece, Up North MI and FL.

My state has an "Up North", it's called Chicago.

The drive to Mackinaw Island is a beautiful drive, and I couldn't believe how nice the roads are in northern Michigan, it had all been replaced over the previous years, that was obvious.
But Chicago is a city. It's not out in the country. When Michiganders say up north we mean the country. I'm looking at a map of IL. Where is your "up north". I mean the country where you guys go to escape Chicago?

I see Rockford, IL is the furthers North. Is that country?

What about Peoria Lake? That looks nice. On the Illinois River? Where do rich people live in IL? Or where do they have their vacation homes? I know a lot of you come to MI but I'm talking strictly IL

The most spectacular place north is the state of Alaska, some of the best hunting, fishing, great mountain views, in the summer long days, gold, glaciers, waterfalls, deer, moose, elk, fox, grizzly bear, black bear, wolf, reindeer, bison, thick forests, it is all there in one place, places so remote you may not see anyone for days, friendly people, it is all there.

Remember it doesn't have to be North. What state are you in? Where is "up north" in your state? Where do people go to vacation? If you are on the coast I bet that's where people go huh?

Yea, Alaska and Canada are beautiful. So is the U.P. Michigan. And I've never been. I bought a tent and we are going to go see it. It's so close it's pathetic I've still never gone. Only 1.5 hours away. I guess it compared with Alaska and Canada.

One day we may do a hunting trip or fishing trip to Alaska where the plane drops you off and comes back to pick you up in a week. How fun huh?

But Chicago is a city. It's not out in the country. When Michiganders say up north we mean the country. I'm looking at a map of IL. Where is your "up north". I mean the country where you guys go to escape Chicago?

I see Rockford, IL is the furthers North. Is that country?

What about Peoria Lake? That looks nice. On the Illinois River? Where do rich people live in IL? Or where do they have their vacation homes? I know a lot of you come to MI but I'm talking strictly IL
Rich people go to the Gold Coast of Lake Michigan to escape, but commoners go to Wisconsin.

There was a "glamping" resort near Peoria Lake (AKA Illinois river) that was nice and sold out every night but the developer spent more money then he had and the place ended up closing, it was brand new, too. Many Chicago folks drove down there for a getaway.

Route 75 and a left onto S Straits Hwy past Walt’s Crawlers on the right and a little further down Worley’s Whippy Dip on the left. Sometimes we’ll stop into Vicky Js Home of the 3 Inch Burger for a quick beer.

At some point during our visits there we always made sure to head over to Pelston for a chicken dinner at The Damsite.
That sounds fucking amazing! We have friends who have 200-500 acres. HUGE properties. I think my brother's 60 acres (I forgot exactly how big it is) is pretty big. And I have a buddy who's going to let me hunt on his 5 acres. I think it's pretty big too. So 10 acres is a lot of property especially if it's on the Sturgeon? Fuck me!

Okay, so I have this amazing flat bottom Coleman troll boat. Small little troll motor run with a deep cell marine battery. So small I can't handle any rapids. At least I can't go up stream. It's perfect for the river here in Metro Detroit. The Huron River. It runs slow and flat. So my boat is perfect for the Huron. But I can't take it on the East Jordan River. Too rapidy. I guess I can ride it down stream but even that, I think they told me I can't have a troll motor on the East Jordan river.

So last year I discovered this

Otsego County is home to the headwaters of five sprawling rivers: Sturgeon River, Pigeon River, AuSable River, Manistee River, and Black River.

I think the Sturgeon moves too fast. Which river would you recommend if I want to fish? And I would like the slowest moving river.

Rich people go to the Gold Coast of Lake Michigan to escape, but commoners go to Wisconsin.

There was a "glamping" resort near Peoria Lake (AKA Illinois river) that was nice and sold out every night but the developer spent more money then he had and the place ended up closing, it was brand new, too. Many Chicago folks drove down there for a getaway.

I noticed in the Thumb it was more blue collar people. You could afford a pretty cheap vacation home in the town and walk to Lake Huron or into town. The town was Port Austin. Very affordable. If someone doesn't have a lot of money but wants a vacation home, go look in the thumb. All our rich friends are over on Lake Michigan. Like you said, the Gold Coast. LOL.

Reminds me of Florida. All our rich friends have places over on the Gulf side. Tampa, St Petersburg, Sarasota. I like Ft Lauderdale/Miami. So I'm looking forward to hear from people in Florida. Where do they go to get away from it all?

That sounds fucking amazing! We have friends who have 200-500 acres. HUGE properties. I think my brother's 60 acres (I forgot exactly how big it is) is pretty big. And I have a buddy who's going to let me hunt on his 5 acres. I think it's pretty big too. So 10 acres is a lot of property especially if it's on the Sturgeon? Fuck me!

Okay, so I have this amazing flat bottom Coleman troll boat. Small little troll motor run with a deep cell marine battery. So small I can't handle any rapids. At least I can't go up stream. It's perfect for the river here in Metro Detroit. The Huron River. It runs slow and flat. So my boat is perfect for the Huron. But I can't take it on the East Jordan River. Too rapidy. I guess I can ride it down stream but even that, I think they told me I can't have a troll motor on the East Jordan river.

So last year I discovered this

Otsego County is home to the headwaters of five sprawling rivers: Sturgeon River, Pigeon River, AuSable River, Manistee River, and Black River.

I think the Sturgeon moves too fast. Which river would you recommend if I want to fish? And I would like the slowest moving river.
The only one of those rivers I'm familiar with is the Sturgeon. It's more of a stream than a river where it passes by the cabin. Over the years I have pulled out the occasional brown trout.

The only one of those rivers I'm familiar with is the Sturgeon. It's more of a stream than a river where it passes by the cabin. Over the years I have pulled out the occasional brown trout.
Do canoers pass by? Could you take this down it?
1687829516653.jpeg

Do you guys have an "up north" in your state? Up north MI is so amazing. And I'm not even counting the U.P. But where is Up North Michigan you ask? It's hard to say. There is no dividing line. Although some say it's once you cross over the Zilwaukee Bridge. My brother found this sign this weekend and he bought it.

Up North
There is a lot of talk about up north.
It's the place EVERYONE seems to want to go to escape the pressures and frantic pace of everyday life
But where is up north?
For "up north" is not so much a location as it is a state of mind
So, how do you know when you've arrived?
When you feel the cares of the world begin to slip away
When you feel yourself breathing a little deeper because
the air seems purer somehow
When you notice the sky is bluer, the trees taller, and the people smile a lot...
Then you know you're
UP NORTH
Michigan, particularly northern Michigan, is beautiful but only for about five months a year. The rest of the time it’s cold and dreary.

Back in the late seventies a bunch of us took our boats through the inland waterway. Crooked Lake to Lake Huron. It was mid-July and the weather was perfect. We slept on our boats at Aloha SP. Really enjoyed it.

We did like James Bond on the Black River until the sheriff caught us.

Michigan, particularly northern Michigan, is beautiful but only for about five months a year. The rest of the time it’s cold and dreary.

It is beautiful five months of the year in southern MI. Get up to the northern lower, and UP, and you have basically June-Sept.

So yeah, people who brag about "up north" are talking about four months, which granted, are lovely. Warm, sunny days and nights cool enough for sweatshirts and bonfires.

But get the heck out for the rest of the year....

It is beautiful five months of the year in southern MI. Get up to the northern lower, and UP, and you have basically June-Sept.

So yeah, people who brag about "up north" are talking about four months, which granted, are lovely. Warm, sunny days and nights cool enough for sweatshirts and bonfires.

But get the heck out for the rest of the year....
Agreed. I can recall many Memorial Day weekends Up North that were cold. In fact, we ran into snow flurries one year on our motorcycles.

Agreed. I can recall many Memorial Day weekends Up North that were cold. In fact, we ran into snow flurries one year on our motorcycles.

Oh yeah. Even here one year, southern, we had sleet and snow on Mother's Day. I had a friend from the UP, near Houghton, in college. Every Halloween was snowy or with snow already on the ground.

Nope. That's a no for me.

Forum List

Back