Up North Michigan

Michigan, particularly northern Michigan, is beautiful but only for about five months a year. The rest of the time it’s cold and dreary.

Nonsense. I will give you that Jan 1 through March 1 suck. Suck balls. I'd rather be in Florida. But by mid March, we're starting to get warm sunny days. When I say warm I mean high of 45 or 50. Warm enough there is no snow or slushy wet walking on the trails anymore. Occasionally we get snow in April but it doesn't stick around for very long.

So March 15 to Jan 1 are fine. Sure it's cold in December but it's Xmas so it's great!

I love hunting October - Jan 1 in MI too. So between skiiing, ice fishing and hunting, I love Fall and early winter.

BUT YES, I hate it in January too. So January till March 15th can suck. And I plan to take a Florida break every February from now on. Just to break up the winter. So that's only 3 months of suck. 9 months I love MI.

What state do you live in? Florida sucks right now. And don't worry about MI because with Global Warming, pretty soon we won't have winters. I think in the 10 years since I purchased my quad only 2 years could I ride it out on the ice.

Nonsense. I will give you that Jan 1 through March 1 suck. Suck balls. I'd rather be in Florida. But by mid March, we're starting to get warm sunny days. When I say warm I mean high of 45 or 50. Warm enough there is no snow or slushy wet walking on the trails anymore. Occasionally we get snow in April but it doesn't stick around for very long.

So March 15 to Jan 1 are fine. Sure it's cold in December but it's Xmas so it's great!

I love hunting October - Jan 1 in MI too. So between skiiing, ice fishing and hunting, I love Fall and early winter.

BUT YES, I hate it in January too. So January till March 15th can suck. And I plan to take a Florida break every February from now on. Just to break up the winter. So that's only 3 months of suck. 9 months I love MI.

What state do you live in? Florida sucks right now. And don't worry about MI because with Global Warming, pretty soon we won't have winters. I think in the 10 years since I purchased my quad only 2 years could I ride it out on the ice.
Lol. Sun in Michigan in March…lol…almost nonexistent.

Lol. Sun in Michigan in March…lol…almost nonexistent.
I hope I remember how to find this thread next March and I will say something every day it's 50 plus and sunny.

And us dog owners say this. "As long as it's not raining or in the 30's, we're happy. All I need is 40 degrees and I'm good. In fact I think my dog prefers it when it's 40-60 degrees.

I hope I remember how to find this thread next March and I will say something every day it's 50 plus and sunny.

And us dog owners say this. "As long as it's not raining or in the 30's, we're happy. All I need is 40 degrees and I'm good. In fact I think my dog prefers it when it's 40-60 degrees.
I bookmarked it for you. Its not hard to find the number of sunny days in March on average. My guess less than five. To say nothing of the multiple cold and windy days.

I bookmarked it for you. Its not hard to find the number of sunny days in March on average. My guess less than five. To say nothing of the multiple cold and windy days.

The average temp in March is 46. Like I said, as long as it's not in the 30's I'm happy. So I hate the mornings because they are usually in the 20's and 30's.

But this shows how I'm right.

The cold season lasts for 3.2 months, from December 1 to March 7, with an average daily high temperature below 41°F. The coldest month of the year in Michigan Center is January, with an average low of 18°F and high of 31°F.

I didn't even know this when I said MI sucks 3 months out of the year. If you want I'll even give you 4 months. MI sucks 4 months out of the year. But that means it's paradise 8 months. And it really is. Unless you're a pussy. My cousins wife is in FL while he's here in the summer. He loves MI more. I asked her and she said, "I hate the cold".

So I guess a Floridian might think MI sucks 6 months a year. But that's because they are Floridiots. LOL.

The average temp in March is 46. Like I said, as long as it's not in the 30's I'm happy. So I hate the mornings because they are usually in the 20's and 30's.

But this shows how I'm right.

The cold season lasts for 3.2 months, from December 1 to March 7, with an average daily high temperature below 41°F. The coldest month of the year in Michigan Center is January, with an average low of 18°F and high of 31°F.

I didn't even know this when I said MI sucks 3 months out of the year. If you want I'll even give you 4 months. MI sucks 4 months out of the year. But that means it's paradise 8 months. And it really is. Unless you're a pussy. My cousins wife is in FL while he's here in the summer. He loves MI more. I asked her and she said, "I hate the cold".

So I guess a Floridian might think MI sucks 6 months a year. But that's because they are Floridiots. LOL.
I do prefer Michigan over Florida in the summer. Winters in Florida however, are far better than Michigan.

It’s a matter of opinion. I prefer warm sunny days over cold cloudy days. In Michigan, you seldom see the sun from November to April.

A few years ago I planned an early cookout--April 23rd. We got EIGHT--I repeat, EIGHT--inches of snow.

The weather here sucks eggs pretty much Nov-April, and parts of May are also terrible. Worse than that, thanks to the Great Lakes, it's rarely sunny in those months.

I do prefer Michigan over Florida in the summer. Winters in Florida however, are far better than Michigan.

It’s a matter of opinion. I prefer warm sunny days over cold cloudy days. In Michigan, you seldom see the sun from November to April.

Exactly what I just said: JINX

It's not as bad as you are making it out. Plenty of sunny days in November. Thanksgiving? Shit! The changing of the leaves? That's probably more October though but come on! Thanksgiving Pumpkins and the leaves falling. I love it!

I think this is a perfect compromise. Right after Thanksgiving b line it to Florida and stay until April 15th. If you want to completely miss spring, stay in Florida until June 1st.

Michigan June 1 to December 1. What is that? 6 months?

So what does this mean? This means you don't like spring and fall. If it's not warm, you don't want anything to do with it. I feel ya. If I was a rich retiree I'd probably stay in Florida until June and to be honest, I would never see another December in Michigan as long as I live. LOL.

It's not as bad as you are making it out. Plenty of sunny days in November. Thanksgiving? Shit! The changing of the leaves? That's probably more October though but come on! Thanksgiving Pumpkins and the leaves falling. I love it!

I think this is a perfect compromise. Right after Thanksgiving b line it to Florida and stay until April 15th. If you want to completely miss spring, stay in Florida until June 1st.

So what does this mean? This means you don't like spring and fall. If it's not warm, you don't want anything to do with it. I feel ya. If I was a rich retiree I'd probably stay in Florida until June and to be honest, I would never see another December in Michigan as long as I live. LOL.
You need to be more aware of your environment.

Very little sunshine in November.

The cold and snow don’t bother me so much, but the non-stop cloudy dreary days from November to May are too much. Fortunately I can afford to leave the state for nicer climes every Fall and not return until late April.

You need to be more aware of your environment.

Very little sunshine in November.

The cold and snow don’t bother me so much, but the non-stop cloudy dreary days from November to May are too much. Fortunately I can afford to leave the state for nicer climes every Fall and not return until late April.
I admit come February I'm considering suicide. My bro has a condo in Ft Lauderdale he says I can use it every February. One month away from it is better than none. And my boss said I could work from there so I'm planning to be a snow bird first time next year.

You don't mind Novembers because winter is coming and winter is worse. It's still pretty in November. The trees are empty but that just makes it easier to hunt. Also makes it easier for the deer to see you.

So stuck in MI I hunt from Oct 1 to Jan 1. I hunt in a box blind with a heater in it for when it goes below 32degrees. I live on a lake so if it freezes over I take my quad out and there's a million ice chantees and people are partying. Out on the middle of the ice when the sun is beaming, and yes that does happen, it's like it's not even winter. We feel sorry for all the Michiganders sitting in their homes thinking it's unbearable outside when it's not.

You exclaim things to be true that are in fact not true.

There are thirty days in November. In Detroit, on average, ELEVEN of them are sunny. That's just over 30%. Do you consider 30% "plenty"? Rational people do not.

Here's the data on sunny days in Michigan in November:

There are thirty days in November. In Detroit, on average, ELEVEN of them are sunny. That's just over 30%. Do you consider 30% "plenty"? Rational people do not.

Sounds like some pretty crappy weather.

I admit come February I'm considering suicide. My bro has a condo in Ft Lauderdale he says I can use it every February. One month away from it is better than none. And my boss said I could work from there so I'm planning to be a snow bird first time next year.

You don't mind Novembers because winter is coming and winter is worse. It's still pretty in November. The trees are empty but that just makes it easier to hunt. Also makes it easier for the deer to see you.

So stuck in MI I hunt from Oct 1 to Jan 1. I hunt in a box blind with a heater in it for when it goes below 32degrees. I live on a lake so if it freezes over I take my quad out and there's a million ice chantees and people are partying. Out on the middle of the ice when the sun is beaming, and yes that does happen, it's like it's not even winter. We feel sorry for all the Michiganders sitting in their homes thinking it's unbearable outside when it's not.

Michiganders really, really love to make over how great Michigan is but I don't see too many out of staters just flocking to MI in the way they flock to Florida, California, New York, Nevada (Vegas), Texas, Hawaii, or so many other states. People from MI vacation in MI and a few others come check it out, and that's about it.

The Michigan lore about how great Michigan is, is a very peculiar thing I noticed as soon as I moved here in the mid-1990s.

Michigan is very much "the girl with the curl": (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow)

There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

We have some really lovely summer days--warm and sunny with cool evenings. And our falls have a few truly stunning days. And then you have Nov-April.....

We have a thriving craft beer industry in this state, probably because that's how we get through very little sun from Nov-April....

It doesn't matter. The temperature is fine. I love fall. And yea, most days aren't "sunny" like they are in Florida, but they aren't rainy. I'm okay with a cloudy 50 degree day. So I only agree with you Michigan sucks for months out of the year where you say 6.

But I feel you. Like I said yesterday, ideally, I'd leave for Florida Dec 1 and come back May 1st.

April showers bring May flowers. LOL

It's not. Look at it this way. percentage of time between sunrise and sunset that sunshine reaches the ground. The most was 36%. 36% of the time in November the sun it hitting the ground. So it's cloudy the other 64%. So what? The temp is nice, it's dry.

The average temperature in Detroit in November for a typical day ranges from a high of 47°F (9°C) to a low of 34°F (1°C). Some would describe it as cold and breezy.

If you don't love spring and fall then I guess you wouldn't like MI. I love them both. Just don't like winter. Even winter is cool for about a month. Then it gets old.

Now let's talk about the states with the most natural disasters.

1. Texas
2. Mississippi
3. Oklahoma
4. California
5. Florida

With 50 to 70 inches of annual snowfall, Maine has its share of weather. But not disastrous weather.

WalletHub ranks Maine lowest among the states for overall impact from natural disasters.

Snow means less natural disasters.

It's not. Look at it this way. percentage of time between sunrise and sunset that sunshine reaches the ground. The most was 36%. 36% of the time in November the sun it hitting the ground. So it's cloudy the other 64%. So what? The temp is nice, it's dry.

The average temperature in Detroit in November for a typical day ranges from a high of 47°F (9°C) to a low of 34°F (1°C). Some would describe it as cold and breezy.

If you don't love spring and fall then I guess you wouldn't like MI. I love them both. Just don't like winter. Even winter is cool for about a month. Then it gets old.

Now let's talk about the states with the most natural disasters.

1. Texas
2. Mississippi
3. Oklahoma
4. California
5. Florida

With 50 to 70 inches of annual snowfall, Maine has its share of weather. But not disastrous weather.

WalletHub ranks Maine lowest among the states for overall impact from natural disasters.

Snow means less natural disasters.
I wasn't commenting about natural disasters; I was commenting on weather and it only 20% of the days are sunny, to me that is crappy weather and you did nothing to change that view.

I wasn't commenting about natural disasters; I was commenting on weather and it only 20% of the days are sunny, to me that is crappy weather and you did nothing to change that view.

Define sunny? It said 36% of the time sun hit the ground. That's better than 20%.

You probably wouldn't consider them "sunny" days but they aren't gloomy and rainy. That would depress me if we were 46 degrees and rainy.

Cloudy I can handle.

Keep in mind depression from this shit is a real thing. I actually feel myself losing it in February waiting for spring. So I know by mid march we start getting sunnier and warmer. I'm happy by mid march. And I'm not depressed in November. It's fall. Where do you live in California? You don't get fall. Most people who come from Cali to MI love our 4 seasons.

Define sunny? It said 36% of the time sun hit the ground. That's better than 20%.

You probably wouldn't consider them "sunny" days but they aren't gloomy and rainy. That would depress me if we were 46 degrees and rainy.

Cloudy I can handle.

Keep in mind depression from this shit is a real thing. I actually feel myself losing it in February waiting for spring. So I know by mid march we start getting sunnier and warmer. I'm happy by mid march. And I'm not depressed in November. It's fall. Where do you live in California? You don't get fall. Most people who come from Cali to MI love our 4 seasons.
I lived on the westside of Washington and Oregon, I know all about rain, clouds and dreary. I live in a four seasons area now and I am fine, we get lots of sun year round. 68% of our Novembers are sunny, but chilly.

Forum List

Back