Unjust Hanging of Van Tuong Nguyen

Kathianne said:
So who gets to decide the laws for all countries? You? On what basis do you know best?

Simply because a law is decided on, whether democratically or otherwise, doesn't make it just.

Would you be willing to argue that the holocaust was just because (part of) it happened within the borders of Germany, and Hitler said so?

Hagbard Celine said:
Ooh, "dipshit." Don't burst any blood vessels using such big words Gunny. The point is that non-violent crimes don't deserve death sentences. Isn't it obvious? Why do I have to spell it out for you?

Oh, good comeback. :rolleyes:

Wht is obvious is that you are wrong. Obviously you live some kind of sheltered life where you don't have to see the VERY violent world of drugs and drug dealers at the street level. Must be nice to be such a pampered snob.

GotZoom said:
If the guy had one joint....I might agree that death is a little extreme.

But again, that is the law of the land there.

There are many people who think that the drug laws here in the United States are barbaric.

That doesn't mean we need to change them.

Our land, our laws. You don't like it, don't come. And if you come to our land, don't break out laws.

Why is that so hard to understand?

You hit the nail on the head. The punishment by law in Singapore for drug trafficking is death. He was convicted of drug trafficking. Pretty simple math.

Max Power said:
Simply because a law is decided on, whether democratically or otherwise, doesn't make it just.

Would you be willing to argue that the holocaust was just because (part of) it happened within the borders of Germany, and Hitler said so?

No, but then again, we were willing to fight a war over such atrocities. I guess for drugs as a capital crime, you are willing to put your life on the line?

Kathianne said:
No, but then again, we were willing to fight a war over such atrocities. I guess for drugs as a capital crime, you are willing to put your life on the line?

Yeah, can't you just see hagbard and max boarding planes to Malaysia now? :laugh:

Kathianne said:

When did we ever fight a war over atrocities?
We didn't enter WW2 until Japan attacked us.

No, I'm not willing to put my life on the line for this guy, or drugs as a capital crime in general.

GotZoom said:
Smuggling 396.2 grams of heroin is not doing drugs on vacation.
396.2 grams computes to about 0.8734715 lbs or 13.9 oz. Fourteen ounces of heroin, not even a full pound. The guy might have made $500 per ounce, which is the average price of heroin in the US. That's $7,000 dollars. That doesn't equal a death sentence either IMO.

Max Power said:
When did we ever fight a war over atrocities?
We didn't enter WW2 until Japan attacked us.

No, I'm not willing to put my life on the line for this guy, or drugs as a capital crime in general.

You are honest on both issues. Good for you. To think that the Nazi march was of little consequence though, would be a mistake. FDR and others, (Charlie Chaplin for one), saw the danger. If Japan hadn't bombed Pearl Harbor, it was still only a matter of time. I do agree though that the genocide or potential for it, was obvious and not a flashpoint, though it should have been.

Not my country. But I like the way they think. Over there you really have to do a risk/reward chart for crime. Let's see, almost 400 grams of drugs in a nation with a DP for drugs........ evolution in action.

Hagbard Celine said:
396.2 grams computes to about 0.8734715 lbs or 13.9 oz. Fourteen ounces of heroin, not even a full pound. The guy might have made $500 per ounce, which is the average price of heroin in the US. That's $7,000 dollars. That doesn't equal a death sentence either IMO.

Key word: Smuggling. It wasn't for personal use.

If you are convicted of smuggling drugs, you die.

Sounds easy to understand.

Hagbard Celine said:
Argue that BS in court. :teeth:

Kathianne said:
OK HC and Max, are you also willing to argue that Sharia law should be outlawed in Islamic countries because of the barbarity of the punishments via the 'crimes'? Or are you progressive enough to say that it's their countries and they should be able to set their own laws and systems of justice?
Look at my posts in the "They deserve to lose their thumbs for painting graffiti" thread. I think any law that is cruel and unjust should be banned. Those Muslims who beat women and children with sticks for talking back to their patriarchs and cut off the heads of "infidels" are savages just like these Indonesians IMO.

Hagbard Celine said:

Well, now you know at what price this idiot valued his life.

pegwinn said:
Not my country. But I like the way they think. Over there you really have to do a risk/reward chart for crime. Let's see, almost 400 grams of drugs in a nation with a DP for drugs........ evolution in action.

Works for me. Screw the dumbass. He gambled his life for $7K and lost.

Mr. P said:
Argue that BS in court. :teeth:
It doesn't equal a death sentence in the US at all. The maximum sentence in the US for distributing drugs is life imprisonment with an unlimited fine. That's too harsh too IMO.

Hagbard Celine said:
Look at my posts in the "They deserve to lose their thumbs for painting graffiti" thread. I think any law that is cruel and unjust should be banned. Those Muslims who beat women and children with sticks for talking back to their patriarchs and cut off the heads of "infidels" are savages just like these Indonesians IMO.

I would like to thank you here and now for being one of "those people" who are teh very reason these damned parasites get to run free in our society, and if they commit a crime, you and your ilk ensure they get a slap on the wrist and right back in business.

Hagbard Celine said:

Perhaps memory is serving me wrong, but that thread was started over some politico here? We are talking of another country's laws. So you are in favor of 'the right kind of people' making laws for the 'wrong kind of people?'

Kathianne said:
Perhaps memory is serving me wrong, but that thread was started over some politico here? We are talking of another country's laws. So you are in favor of 'the right kind of people' making laws for the 'wrong kind of people?'
There's already an international charter of human rights. IMHO, this guy is receiving an unjust punishment that violates his human rights. His punishment doesn't fit his crime.

Forum List

Back