Union workers told to go and listen to tramp or forgo overtime pay

The link for me but like Ringle said no one was forced to go, so I do not get the outrage...
"Attend this or take a pay cut" is being forced to go.

"Attend this or you're fired" is being forced to go.....instead they could have a paid day off
No. If they took the day off it was unpaid.

Those that decided to sit out the event would have an excused absence,

while those that didn’t go to hear the president are being paid the regular rate,

While I can't see the actual article because I refuse to turn off my adblocker, nor will I subscribe to sites like this...…..those 2 statements from the OP tells me otherwise. And most companies do pay for 'excused absences' and as I said......they weren't forced because those that didn't go weren't fired.

Both the article headline and the OP are misleading...….as it says they didn't get paid if they didn't go, but that's not true either, now is it?
Overtime

Right...…..those that didn't go, didn't get overtime...…...but in the OP, and the article headline says 'they didn't get paid'......and says nothing about overtime

The choice for thousands of union workers at Royal Dutch Shell’s petrochemical plant in Beaver County was to either spend Tuesday standing in a giant hall waiting for President Donald Trump to speak, or to take the day off with no pay.

“Your attendance is not mandatory,” read the rules that Shell sent to union leaders a day ahead of the visit to the $6 billion construction site. But only those that showed up at 7 a.m., scanned their cards, and prepared to stand for hours — through lunch but without lunch — would be paid.

“NO SCAN, NO PAY,” the rules said.

Those that decided to sit out the event would have an excused absence, the company said, and would not qualify for overtime pay on Friday. The company has a 56-hour workweek with 16 hours of overtime. That means those workers who attended Mr. Trump’s speech and showed up for work on Friday meeting the overtime threshold are being paid at a rate of time and a half, while those that didn’t go to hear the president are being paid the regular rate, despite the fact that both groups did not do work on the site on Tuesday.
snip
“No yelling, shouting, protesting or anything viewed as resistance will be tolerated at the event,” the paper read. “An underlying theme of the event is to promote good will from the unions. Your building trades leaders and jobs stewards have agreed to this.”

Mr. Trump received a generally warm and at times cheerful welcome at Shell, where he talked about his political grievances and name-called opponents as much as he praised the natural gas extracted in Appalachia, which will be processed at the Shell plant into plastic pellets.

He also called out union leadership, which Shell had requested to be in attendance.

“I’m going to speak to some of your union leaders to say, ‘I hope you’re going to support Trump.’ OK?” he said. “And if they don’t, vote them the hell out of office because they’re not doing their job.”

Trump's large union crowd at Shell was given the option of not showing up — and not getting paid
-----------------------------------------------
Forced attendance if you want to get paid for overtime.
Your link is not working and is total BS...maybe the rag pulled it because it was BS...

The link for me but like Ringle said no one was forced to go, so I do not get the outrage...

It was overtime, so no paycut...

You had a choice to go or not and no one was forcing them to take the extra money...
Yes paycut. If a Democrat did this you and many others would be foaming at the mouth and you know it.

I wouldn’t care either way. Make it a three day weekend or stand around all day and to all to fellow workers and get time and half. Depending if I needed the money or not would dictate what I would do. I’m not seeing an issue either way.

To be fair, these workers are bused into the location every single shift. There isn't enough on-site parking at the moment to accommodate all the people, so they have to park in nearby Midland or the Beaver Valley Mall and take the shuttle to over. That being said, President Trump had nothing to do with this cracker plant coming to Beaver County. This deal was years in the making well before he even announced his candidacy, but I am sure that doesn't matter much to president's sycophants.

Your link is not working and is total BS...maybe the rag pulled it because it was BS...

"Attend this or you're fired" is being forced to go.....instead they could have a paid day off

while those that didn’t go to hear the president are being paid the regular rate,

While I can't see the actual article because I refuse to turn off my adblocker, nor will I subscribe to sites like this...…..those 2 statements from the OP tells me otherwise. And most companies do pay for 'excused absences' and as I said......they weren't forced because those that didn't go weren't fired.

Both the article headline and the OP are misleading...….as it says they didn't get paid if they didn't go, but that's not true either, now is it?
Those that didn't go see the speech still have to go to work the next day, for which they will be paid the regular rate. Those that did go to the speech will be paid overtime for the same work. The workers who don't attend the speech are being given a pay cut for not attending.

Overtime

Right...…..those that didn't go, didn't get overtime...…...but in the OP, and the article headline says 'they didn't get paid'......and says nothing about overtime
Those that attended the speech got paid for it. If president Obama pulled anything like that the sound of conservative heads exploding would have been audible from the moon.

You had a choice to go or not and no one was forcing them to take the extra money...
Yes paycut. If a Democrat did this you and many others would be foaming at the mouth and you know it.

I wouldn’t care either way. Make it a three day weekend or stand around all day and to all to fellow workers and get time and half. Depending if I needed the money or not would dictate what I would do. I’m not seeing an issue either way.
I don't believe you.

Strange. Unions are largely libreral and would never be pressed into going to a Trump rally.
Who would have guessed unions supporting a republican lol

Not me and most of them probably do not like tramp.

So you're saying they only care about the money and have no moral guidelines?
That doesnt say much for union workers now does it.

If it were me and they said I had to watch barry speak? I'd say,I'll see you guys on Monday.
Doubtful I would have went back Monday

I cant see myself working in a union shop in the first place.
I've seen how they roll and it's pathetic.
If that is the only way to get the job you want....you do it.

The choice for thousands of union workers at Royal Dutch Shell’s petrochemical plant in Beaver County was to either spend Tuesday standing in a giant hall waiting for President Donald Trump to speak, or to take the day off with no pay.

“Your attendance is not mandatory,” read the rules that Shell sent to union leaders a day ahead of the visit to the $6 billion construction site. But only those that showed up at 7 a.m., scanned their cards, and prepared to stand for hours — through lunch but without lunch — would be paid.

Those that decided to sit out the event would have an excused absence, the company said, and would not qualify for overtime pay on Friday. The company has a 56-hour workweek with 16 hours of overtime. That means those workers who attended Mr. Trump’s speech and showed up for work on Friday meeting the overtime threshold are being paid at a rate of time and a half, while those that didn’t go to hear the president are being paid the regular rate, despite the fact that both groups did not do work on the site on Tuesday.
snip
“No yelling, shouting, protesting or anything viewed as resistance will be tolerated at the event,” the paper read. “An underlying theme of the event is to promote good will from the unions. Your building trades leaders and jobs stewards have agreed to this.”

Mr. Trump received a generally warm and at times cheerful welcome at Shell, where he talked about his political grievances and name-called opponents as much as he praised the natural gas extracted in Appalachia, which will be processed at the Shell plant into plastic pellets.

He also called out union leadership, which Shell had requested to be in attendance.

“I’m going to speak to some of your union leaders to say, ‘I hope you’re going to support Trump.’ OK?” he said. “And if they don’t, vote them the hell out of office because they’re not doing their job.”

Trump's large union crowd at Shell was given the option of not showing up — and not getting paid

And, as a probable supporter of unions and all they do for the worker, you blame... who?

I believe in unions, but sometimes they get carried away. I believe in workers rights, I am not one for at will employment meaning if you don't like someone you can fire them.

Why do you think the middle class is sinking? Could it possibly b3 because laws have been passed favoring Corporations and down grading Unions since Reagan , a former Union President killed the Controllers Union.

Clinton did not help by signing the HW Bush law, NAFTA either!

snip

LOL....they get paid for doing nothing but standing around.
How is that a bad thing for them?

snip

And, as a probable supporter of unions and all they do for the worker, you blame... who?

I believe in unions, but sometimes they get carried away. I believe in workers rights, I am not one for at will employment meaning if you don't like someone you can fire them.

Why do you think the middle class is sinking? Could it possibly b3 because laws have been passed favoring Corporations and down grading Unions since Reagan , a former Union President killed the Controllers Union.

Clinton did not help by signing the HW Bush law, NAFTA either!

Fuck those unions.

snip

So if they show up to the rally representing the business they get overtime (bonus) pay? What’s wrong with that?
Imagine if their wages were garnished to fund trump’s campaign...

You mean like the NRA funds supporting this guy, Wayne Lapierre? They should of been given a choice to work.
That’s not a garnishment.

Who would have guessed unions supporting a republican lol

Not me and most of them probably do not like tramp.

So you're saying they only care about the money and have no moral guidelines?
That doesnt say much for union workers now does it.

If it were me and they said I had to watch barry speak? I'd say,I'll see you guys on Monday.
Doubtful I would have went back Monday

I cant see myself working in a union shop in the first place.
I've seen how they roll and it's pathetic.
If that is the only way to get the job you want....you do it.

Makes me glad I grew up in Texas.

I don't believe you.

I don’t give a fuck whether you believe me or not.

snip

Attend this and get paid, don't attend.....don't get paid.

Sounds like a deal. Get the day off and paid overtime plus you get to hear a guy break all the bubbles on all the lies the democrats have been feeding you. The Left should be VERY AFRAID that unions are paying their people overtime to go listen to a REPUBLICAN.

Damn lying libs....from here to November 2020 do not believe a word said by a lib or their links and turn off CNN...MSNBC...PBS...ABC...NBC...CBS...and even FOX on Saturday and Sunday when they sound a littler more like CNN....

There is no way to know if the story is true or not because the media lies about Trump every day. So this could be another lie.

Damn lying libs....from here to November 2020 do not believe a word said by a lib or their links and turn off CNN...MSNBC...PBS...ABC...NBC...CBS...and even FOX on Saturday and Sunday when they sound a littler more like CNN....

There is no way to know if the story is true or not because the media lies about Trump every day. So this could be another lie.

Listen, just because you guys choose to believe it didn't happen doesn't mean squat. There are copies of the memo out there saying as much.

But, keep up with the fake news cries if that's what helps you sleep at night.

Listen, just because you guys choose to believe it didn't happen doesn't mean squat. There are copies of the memo out there saying as much.

But, keep up with the fake news cries if that's what helps you sleep at night.
It is no longer possible to tell truth from lies because the media has told so many lies that it is no longer credible.

Not being believed, even when you're telling the truth, is the consequence for being a liar.

See, The Boy Who Cried Wolf story for an example of what I'm talking about.

snip

LOL.

You're whining because people got paid.

Don't you ever think before you bitch?

I have actually seen Wanted ads for Democrats, so I know they pay people to come to their rallies all the time.

Forum List

Back