Union workers told to go and listen to tramp or forgo overtime pay

The choice for thousands of union workers at Royal Dutch Shell’s petrochemical plant in Beaver County was to either spend Tuesday standing in a giant hall waiting for President Donald Trump to speak, or to take the day off with no pay.

“Your attendance is not mandatory,” read the rules that Shell sent to union leaders a day ahead of the visit to the $6 billion construction site. But only those that showed up at 7 a.m., scanned their cards, and prepared to stand for hours — through lunch but without lunch — would be paid.

“NO SCAN, NO PAY,” the rules said.

Those that decided to sit out the event would have an excused absence, the company said, and would not qualify for overtime pay on Friday. The company has a 56-hour workweek with 16 hours of overtime. That means those workers who attended Mr. Trump’s speech and showed up for work on Friday meeting the overtime threshold are being paid at a rate of time and a half, while those that didn’t go to hear the president are being paid the regular rate, despite the fact that both groups did not do work on the site on Tuesday.
snip
“No yelling, shouting, protesting or anything viewed as resistance will be tolerated at the event,” the paper read. “An underlying theme of the event is to promote good will from the unions. Your building trades leaders and jobs stewards have agreed to this.”

Mr. Trump received a generally warm and at times cheerful welcome at Shell, where he talked about his political grievances and name-called opponents as much as he praised the natural gas extracted in Appalachia, which will be processed at the Shell plant into plastic pellets.

He also called out union leadership, which Shell had requested to be in attendance.

“I’m going to speak to some of your union leaders to say, ‘I hope you’re going to support Trump.’ OK?” he said. “And if they don’t, vote them the hell out of office because they’re not doing their job.”

Trump's large union crowd at Shell was given the option of not showing up — and not getting paid
-----------------------------------------------
Forced attendance if you want to get paid for overtime.

Sounds a lot easier than actual work.

If someone didn't want to do it, they should have provided alternative duty like scrubbing bathrooms or something else that's useful to get paid for the time.

Their space at the speech could be replaced by members of the general public, who would do it for nothing.

I just saw reported on the news that when some people tried leave this forced get together, the Secret Service told them they couldn’t leave until Trump left first. So they were basically a captive audience by armed military.

I just saw reported on the news that when some people tried leave this forced get together, the Secret Service told them they couldn’t leave until Trump left first. So they were basically a captive audience by armed military.

It wasn't a "forced get together", it was a voluntary speech. You didn't have to attend, but if you did you got paid for the time. Generally speaking, the Secret Service keeps control of the situation when the President is on the premises.

The Secret Service isn't the "military" at all.

It wasn't a "forced get together", it was a voluntary speech. You didn't have to attend, but if you did you got paid for the time. Generally speaking, the Secret Service keeps control of the situation when the President is on the premises.

The Secret Service isn't the "military" at all.
Paying people who need the money is just another type of being “forced“. Sorry, on this one you lose. Everybody would agree with me.

You know if they were told they head to show up for Obama or not get paid the outrage would be deafening.

Most of the government workers (the only kind who voted for him) who blew off work to see Obozo wouldn't be missed because they rarely showed up anyway.

You know if they were told they head to show up for Obama or not get paid the outrage would be deafening.

Most of the government workers (the only kind who voted for him) who blew off work to see Obozo wouldn't be missed because they rarely showed up anyway.
Now you’re just imagining stuff. They call it wishful thinking.

Years ago, I worked for a place like this. I was told to attend a prosperity gospel scammer's seminar over a weekend, or face the prospect of never getting promoted. I chose the later course, quit, and went to graduate school, instead.

However, I can now see why Trump never faces a totally empty room.

What an asshole.

New Topics

Forum List

Back