Union workers told to go and listen to tramp or forgo overtime pay

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
The choice for thousands of union workers at Royal Dutch Shell’s petrochemical plant in Beaver County was to either spend Tuesday standing in a giant hall waiting for President Donald Trump to speak, or to take the day off with no pay.

“Your attendance is not mandatory,” read the rules that Shell sent to union leaders a day ahead of the visit to the $6 billion construction site. But only those that showed up at 7 a.m., scanned their cards, and prepared to stand for hours — through lunch but without lunch — would be paid.

“NO SCAN, NO PAY,” the rules said.

Those that decided to sit out the event would have an excused absence, the company said, and would not qualify for overtime pay on Friday. The company has a 56-hour workweek with 16 hours of overtime. That means those workers who attended Mr. Trump’s speech and showed up for work on Friday meeting the overtime threshold are being paid at a rate of time and a half, while those that didn’t go to hear the president are being paid the regular rate, despite the fact that both groups did not do work on the site on Tuesday.
snip
“No yelling, shouting, protesting or anything viewed as resistance will be tolerated at the event,” the paper read. “An underlying theme of the event is to promote good will from the unions. Your building trades leaders and jobs stewards have agreed to this.”

Mr. Trump received a generally warm and at times cheerful welcome at Shell, where he talked about his political grievances and name-called opponents as much as he praised the natural gas extracted in Appalachia, which will be processed at the Shell plant into plastic pellets.

He also called out union leadership, which Shell had requested to be in attendance.

“I’m going to speak to some of your union leaders to say, ‘I hope you’re going to support Trump.’ OK?” he said. “And if they don’t, vote them the hell out of office because they’re not doing their job.”

Trump's large union crowd at Shell was given the option of not showing up — and not getting paid
-----------------------------------------------
Forced attendance if you want to get paid for overtime.

20190813arTrumpCracker03-1-1565981306.jpg

Trump's large union crowd at Shell was given the option of not showing up — and not getting paid
--------------------------------
I wonder if he knew they wouldn't get paid overtime.

The choice for thousands of union workers at Royal Dutch Shell’s petrochemical plant in Beaver County was to either spend Tuesday standing in a giant hall waiting for President Donald Trump to speak, or to take the day off with no pay.

“Your attendance is not mandatory,” read the rules that Shell sent to union leaders a day ahead of the visit to the $6 billion construction site. But only those that showed up at 7 a.m., scanned their cards, and prepared to stand for hours — through lunch but without lunch — would be paid.

Those that decided to sit out the event would have an excused absence, the company said, and would not qualify for overtime pay on Friday. The company has a 56-hour workweek with 16 hours of overtime. That means those workers who attended Mr. Trump’s speech and showed up for work on Friday meeting the overtime threshold are being paid at a rate of time and a half, while those that didn’t go to hear the president are being paid the regular rate, despite the fact that both groups did not do work on the site on Tuesday.
snip
“No yelling, shouting, protesting or anything viewed as resistance will be tolerated at the event,” the paper read. “An underlying theme of the event is to promote good will from the unions. Your building trades leaders and jobs stewards have agreed to this.”

Mr. Trump received a generally warm and at times cheerful welcome at Shell, where he talked about his political grievances and name-called opponents as much as he praised the natural gas extracted in Appalachia, which will be processed at the Shell plant into plastic pellets.

He also called out union leadership, which Shell had requested to be in attendance.

“I’m going to speak to some of your union leaders to say, ‘I hope you’re going to support Trump.’ OK?” he said. “And if they don’t, vote them the hell out of office because they’re not doing their job.”

If one is truly convicted in their personal political beliefs and are anti-Trump/anti-Republican then take the day off without pay, no one was truly forcing anyone to come to work that day. That said this is NOT an approval of how the company handled the situation just an acknowledgement of the situation they were faced with.

So are you planning on showing that Trump owns Shell? Surely you have some way to connect him to what Shell did?

I worked for a company that had us show up to help load and box items that had been donated to a church.

snip

Your link is not working and is total BS...maybe the rag pulled it because it was BS...

snip

Your link is not working and is total BS...maybe the rag pulled it because it was BS...

The link for me but like Ringle said no one was forced to go, so I do not get the outrage...

snip

The link for me but like Ringle said no one was forced to go, so I do not get the outrage...
"Attend this or take a pay cut" is being forced to go.

snip

It was overtime, so no paycut...

You had a choice to go or not and no one was forcing them to take the extra money...

snip

Wonder how many of the rest of tRumps speeches have paid audiences?

snip

It was overtime, so no paycut...

You had a choice to go or not and no one was forcing them to take the extra money...
Yes paycut. If a Democrat did this you and many others would be foaming at the mouth and you know it.

snip

In the oil business the workers will stop obeying the orders of the unions to "vote Democrat or pay the consequences." Unions are not as powerful as they once were.

Why should this surprise anyone? Remember when the mine workers were told they had to attend a Trump rally while he was campaigning? How about all those people he paid 50 bucks each to cheer him on when he announced his campaign? No, it's not Trump himself who is forcing them to attend, but apparently, he likes people who force their workers to attend his rallies.

snip

Attend this and get paid, don't attend.....don't get paid.

Sounds kinda like some of the functions we had in the military that were called "mandatory fun events". You either stayed back and worked, or went to the command party and talked with the officers.

I'd attend a Trump rally for extra pay. Not in Beaver County though. That place smells like ass.

Strange. Unions are largely libreral and would never be pressed into going to a Trump rally.
I was a union official. I can't imagine a circumstance under which union members were being forced or cajoled into going to Donald Trump's rally.

You know if they were told they head to show up for Obama or not get paid the outrage would be deafening.

Forum List

Back