Unemployment ticks up to 9.1%

I don't care what color is in the White House if there's green in my pockets. Why are you obsessed with the color of the guy who's failing to get the job done?
The sole reason most Liberals voted for Obama in the first place was his skin color! So now after two years on the job and he's been shown to be a massive failure and/or a clone of Bush, their only defense is to play the race card.

I just ignore the misdirection plays from tards like him.

When one adds unemployment to the underemployed (you know, for example, those graduates with student loans that may not find a career opportunity until they are in their early-forties, if lucky, but are working shit-paying jobs), a conservative estimate is that 25% are currently marginally consuming in our consumer economy.

Do you have any cites for that? To the best of my knowledge, which is quite extensive, nobody really tries to measure that type of "underemployment" because there's no good definition and it is all too subjective. Is someone with a BA in drama working as a waiter really underemployed? Is a person who had a $60,000/yr job now working for $12/hr part time in order to be home for the kids underemployed?

You just can't break any of that out for anything useful.

Just to accommodate the 249,000 monthly US population growth, we need 160,000 jobs every month just to break even.
First, population growth (adult civilian non-institutional population) hasn't been that high for years. Second, why do we need to "break even" and keep the empl-pop ratio the same? It was much lower than it is now back in the 50's and 60's. We'd have to look at who is dropping out of the labor force...if it's students and secondary earners, that's not a huge deal.

We are creating more unemployed than employed.
Nope.

I don't care what color is in the White House if there's green in my pockets. Why are you obsessed with the color of the guy who's failing to get the job done?
The sole reason most Liberals voted for Obama in the first place was his skin color! So now after two years on the job and he's been shown to be a massive failure and/or a clone of Bush, their only defense is to play the race card.

please prove any of this clap trap with some solid evidence.

Understanding the new economics of world trade is the key. Many of the old rules are no longer valid.

And I predicted it would turn out this way when the experts were just predicting a 6 months downturn.
Get used to living with less folks.[/QUOTE]

that's sure as fuck what obie doodle promised innit?

Understanding the new economics of world trade is the key. Many of the old rules are no longer valid.

And I predicted it would turn out this way when the experts were just predicting a 6 months downturn.
Get used to living with less folks.

sorry my good sir, no sale.

so that means what, in essence? obama cannot do the job?

or the old saw that the 'paradigm' has 'changed'? I have been seeing that in some media outlets.....and I expect to se it more often as the economy stays tanked and nov. 2012 gets closer.

I just see that see as a get out of jail free card- fig leaf.....the 'paradigm' always seems 'to change' when a democrat needs an out for lack of performance......sorry but I cannot remember ONE republican given such consideration(s) and even when they did perform, well, there was alwaaaays something.....

Other countries economies have adapted to these changes. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to too.

Just like Greece?

Remember when Republicans won with "Jobs, jobs, jobs"? Instead, everything turned to tax breaks for millionaires, abortion, gay rights, union busting and attacks on teachers.

If Republicans had followed up on "Jobs, jobs, jobs", this conversation would be much different. Only the Reublican leadership and most of the base don't care about "jobs, jobs, jobs". They just hate there's a black guy in the WHITE House.

Actually the teachers in New Mexico would probably disagree with you...seeing as how Bill Richardson didn't start laying them off until AFTER Obama was elected and he could use them for their votes. Suckers. Then he started in on stealing back their retirement packages :eusa_shhh:

So do you just want to concede the 2012 election now or wait until the new year?

Why would I concede to the Democrats? Granted the Republicans aren't looking great, but Obama's policies haven't worked out that well.

In any case, the labor market is improving...just very slowly and not well. No idea whose favor that will work out to politically by next year, and I certainly don't want continued poor economic news just to get rid of Obama.

I hate to break it to you, but the labor market is NOT improving!

Just to accommodate the 249,000 monthly US population growth, we need 160,000 jobs every month just to break even. We are creating more unemployed than employed. The Democrats have been in control of the economy for 4-1/2 years now. Here is what they have to show for it:

fredgraph.png

Someone mentioned recently that Pinqy is a professional economist. :eek:
I hope that they were wrong.

Just to accommodate the 249,000 monthly US population growth, we need 160,000 jobs every month just to break even.
First, population growth (adult civilian non-institutional population) hasn't been that high for years. Second, why do we need to "break even" and keep the empl-pop ratio the same? It was much lower than it is now back in the 50's and 60's. We'd have to look at who is dropping out of the labor force...if it's students and secondary earners, that's not a huge deal.

We are creating more unemployed than employed.
Nope.

:disbelief: :cuckoo: OMG Dumbest Post Ever! :cuckoo: :disbelief:
:disbelief: :cuckoo: What a brainwashed hack!
:cuckoo: :disbelief:

image-125510-galleryV9-inom.jpg

"The May jobs report offers startling evidence that the...............

There it is again, instead of "unexpected", we have "startling". This is no surprise as to why we continue to tank but to the media admin water carriers, the creation of alarming adjectives is a must as they pray and hope that the general populace will latch on to the deceptions.

please prove any of this clap trap with some solid evidence.

I think Clinton did a good job. He was our first Black President. That makes the Big 0 our second Black President and I think his work blows.

Why do I think that? Every economic stat that was low under Clinton is high under the Big 0 and vice versa. The Big 0 had Carte Blanch to do whatever he wanted to do to solve the economy. He did it. He failed. His plan, approach, theories, programs, ideas and basic understanding of the world were all wrong.

It doesn't mean he's a bad person. It just means he's completely and utterly incompetent and has no business being in his current job. He has failed. He is failing. He will continue to fail. He doesn't get it. He never will.

If he was white, black, oriental or a well trained dolphin, if he had done everything that he really has done, we would be in the same mess and it still would not matter what color he is. He has failed. We need to limit the damage from this point forward so he doesn't take the rest of us down with him.

Why would I concede to the Democrats? Granted the Republicans aren't looking great, but Obama's policies haven't worked out that well.

In any case, the labor market is improving...just very slowly and not well. No idea whose favor that will work out to politically by next year, and I certainly don't want continued poor economic news just to get rid of Obama.

I hate to break it to you, but the labor market is NOT improving!

Just to accommodate the 249,000 monthly US population growth, we need 160,000 jobs every month just to break even. We are creating more unemployed than employed. The Democrats have been in control of the economy for 4-1/2 years now. Here is what they have to show for it:

fredgraph.png

Three leading economists took a small plane to the wilderness in northern Canada to hunt moose over the weekend. The last thing the pilot said was, remember this is a very small plane and you will only be able to bring ONE moose back.

But of course, they killed one each and come Sunday, they talked the pilot into letting them bring all three dead moose onboard. So just after takeoff, the plane stalled and crashed. In the wreckage, one of the economists woke up, looked around and said. Where the hell are we. Oh, just about a hundred yards east of the place there we crashed last year.

"The May jobs report offers startling evidence that the...............

There it is again, instead of "unexpected", we have "startling". This is no surprise as to why we continue to tank but to the media admin water carriers, the creation of alarming adjectives is a must as they pray and hope that the general populace will latch on to the deceptions.

I was working in the yard yesterday, soaking up rays and having a pretty good time in the 90+ heat. On the radio, there were two separate stories talking about how the American Dream of the past, home ownership, was not particularly a by-gone relic of the past, but rather that renting was a far more intelligent choice for many.

This struck me as odd.

I was feeling just a tad "played" by the story and the discussion. It was as if I was being directed to a conclusion.

No evidence of a conspiracy, just wodering about the feeling I was getting.

The American consumer could fix this by simply buying American and demanding from corporations that products are manufactured here. Consider Nike as an example, they make billions here their execs are among the wealthiest in the world and their products are primarily sold here and yet nothing is made here. Stop buying Nike until their products are made here. One down lots to go. Same for cars, we aren't getting our new Regal till they are made here and if they turn out to be made some other place, GM loses that sale.

"Republicans [most Americans] approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They approve of social security benefits-so much so that they took them away from almost a million people. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They believe in international trade--so much so that they crippled our reciprocal trade program, and killed our International Wheat Agreement. They favor the admission of displaced persons--but only within shameful racial and religious limitations.They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They say TVA is wonderful--but we ought never to try it again. They condemn "cruelly high prices"--but fight to the death every effort to bring them down. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire of Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."
President Harry S. Truman

I am. I also note that no one is actually trying to present an actual argument.

While useful for some things, the employment to population ratio does NOT represent the labor force, and does NOT give a good picture of the labor market. Changes in both the emp-pop ratio and the Labor Force participation rate can happen for reasons other than changes in the labor market. I believe I gave an example.

Over the last few months, jobs have increased (weakly). UI claims are lower than in 2009 and 2010. Employment has been going up and while unemployment has been going down, the reasons for going up are encouraging, as it is more from people entering/re-entering the labor force (starting to look for work) than from people losing their jobs.

There are still a lot of issues, most especially with duration of unemployment, but overall, the labor market is slightly improving.

Feel free to present contrary evidence, you can find all the numbers you need at U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics for labor force stats, and The U.S. Department of Labor Home Page for Unemployment Insurance.

The American consumer could fix this by simply buying American and demanding from corporations that products are manufactured here. Consider Nike as an example, they make billions here their execs are among the wealthiest in the world and their products are primarily sold here and yet nothing is made here. Stop buying Nike until their products are made here. One down lots to go. Same for cars, we aren't getting our new Regal till they are made here and if they turn out to be made some other place, GM loses that sale.

"Republicans [most Americans] approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They approve of social security benefits-so much so that they took them away from almost a million people. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They believe in international trade--so much so that they crippled our reciprocal trade program, and killed our International Wheat Agreement. They favor the admission of displaced persons--but only within shameful racial and religious limitations.They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They say TVA is wonderful--but we ought never to try it again. They condemn "cruelly high prices"--but fight to the death every effort to bring them down. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire of Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."
President Harry S. Truman

Well, I suppose if a politician said it, it must be Gospel.

I am. I also note that no one is actually trying to present an actual argument.

While useful for some things, the employment to population ratio does NOT represent the labor force, and does NOT give a good picture of the labor market. Changes in both the emp-pop ratio and the Labor Force participation rate can happen for reasons other than changes in the labor market. I believe I gave an example.

Over the last few months, jobs have increased (weakly). UI claims are lower than in 2009 and 2010. Employment has been going up and while unemployment has been going down, the reasons for going up are encouraging, as it is more from people entering/re-entering the labor force (starting to look for work) than from people losing their jobs.

There are still a lot of issues, most especially with duration of unemployment, but overall, the labor market is slightly improving.

Feel free to present contrary evidence, you can find all the numbers you need at U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics for labor force stats, and The U.S. Department of Labor Home Page for Unemployment Insurance.

Initial claims for unemployment are down in most months, however, the residence time on unemployment just seems to roll along. With two years of unemployment available, one might suppose that those who filed their initial claims two years age are still collecting.

Since we know that the created jobs do not equal the number that that is required to just hold steady, we also know that the unemployed continue to increase.

The labor market is improving right now to a point that is the worst in mosern history.

The policies of the Big 0 are big on spenmding and small on results. Those voters ain't gonna bribe themselves...

You democrats need to start living with less first. Republicans are the conservative spenders & savers. We are the ones who live on less than what we earn. We are the ones who get screwed every-time a union pension fund does not yield the 8% they promised, or loan goes bad or the Fed prints money. Democrats rarely live within their means. They are always taking from the rest of us.

There are so many generalizations in this post I wouldn't know where to begin. You are part of the problem, not the solution.

fredgraph.png

Are we just going to ignore the fact that Republicans once again control the House by a large margin? Guess so. Of course, if you wish to believe that it was the policy of Democrats that caused the economic crash of 2008 in a little less than a year then be my guest. Everyone who isn't a complete partisan hack will be focusing on the policy of Presidents both Democrat and Republican going back to Reagan that started this whole mess.

You democrats need to start living with less first. Republicans are the conservative spenders & savers. We are the ones who live on less than what we earn. We are the ones who get screwed every-time a union pension fund does not yield the 8% they promised, or loan goes bad or the Fed prints money. Democrats rarely live within their means. They are always taking from the rest of us.

There are so many generalizations in this post I wouldn't know where to begin. You are part of the problem, not the solution.

well said; thats what Obama says too.....:clap2:

Forum List

Back