Unemployment Claims drop sharply

Do you realize that if you are on unemployment and accept a job and it only lasts say 5 months and you go on unemployment again you lose about half of your weekly benefits?

Hmmmm, just stay home and keep working towards 99'er status.... sounds like a good gig to me.
You can then gain the respect of our dear leader.

Do you realize that if you are on unemployment and accept a job and it only lasts say 5 months and you go on unemployment again you lose about half of your weekly benefits?
actually, i think it has to be 6 months
it might vary by state

In KY it is less than 6 months, not sure of the duration. It happens when you file for an extension they go back and only consider that 5 months of work if you had been out of work for the 6 months previous to that.

I know a group of people that got cut off due to job moving to Mexico and this happened to many of them.

It will likely drop every month for the next several. That's what happens when you have over 10% of your population unemployed for close to a year. Eventually, the benefits end :(

The unemployment data isn't based on the number of folks getting paid benefits. It is based on surveys.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics measures employment and unemployment (of those over 15 years of age) using two different labour force surveys[64] conducted by the United States Census Bureau (within the United States Department of Commerce) and/or the Bureau of Labor Statistics (within the United States Department of Labor) that gather employment statistics monthly. The Current Population Survey (CPS), or "Household Survey", conducts a survey based on a sample of 60,000 households. This Survey measures the unemployment rate based on the ILO definition.[65] The Current Employment Statistics survey (CES), or "Payroll Survey", conducts a survey based on a sample of 160,000 businesses and government agencies that represent 400,000 individual employers.[66] This survey measures only nonagricultural, nonsupervisory employment; thus, it does not calculate an unemployment rate, and it differs from the ILO unemployment rate definition. These two sources have different classification criteria, and usually produce differing results. Additional data are also available from the government, such as the unemployment insurance weekly claims report available from the Office of Workforce Security, within the U.S. Department of Labor Employment & Training Administration.[67] The Bureau of Labor Statistics provides up-to-date numbers via a pdf linked here.[68] The BLS also provides a readable concise current Employment Situation Summary, updated monthly.[69]

The BLS also calculates 5 alternate measures of unemployment, U1 through U6,[70] which have been charted over time[71][72]

* U1: Percentage of labour force unemployed 15 weeks or longer.
* U2: Percentage of labour force who lost jobs or completed temporary work.
* U3: Official unemployment rate per ILO definition.
* U4: U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
* U5: U4 + other "marginally attached workers", or "loosely attached workers", or those who "would like" and are able to work, but have not looked for work recently.
* U6: U5 + Part time workers who want to work full time, but cannot due to economic reasons (underemployment).

Unemployment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It will likely drop every month for the next several. That's what happens when you have over 10% of your population unemployed for close to a year. Eventually, the benefits end :(

The unemployment data isn't based on the number of folks getting paid benefits. It is based on surveys.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics measures employment and unemployment (of those over 15 years of age) using two different labour force surveys[64] conducted by the United States Census Bureau (within the United States Department of Commerce) and/or the Bureau of Labor Statistics (within the United States Department of Labor) that gather employment statistics monthly. The Current Population Survey (CPS), or "Household Survey", conducts a survey based on a sample of 60,000 households. This Survey measures the unemployment rate based on the ILO definition.[65] The Current Employment Statistics survey (CES), or "Payroll Survey", conducts a survey based on a sample of 160,000 businesses and government agencies that represent 400,000 individual employers.[66] This survey measures only nonagricultural, nonsupervisory employment; thus, it does not calculate an unemployment rate, and it differs from the ILO unemployment rate definition. These two sources have different classification criteria, and usually produce differing results. Additional data are also available from the government, such as the unemployment insurance weekly claims report available from the Office of Workforce Security, within the U.S. Department of Labor Employment & Training Administration.[67] The Bureau of Labor Statistics provides up-to-date numbers via a pdf linked here.[68] The BLS also provides a readable concise current Employment Situation Summary, updated monthly.[69]

The BLS also calculates 5 alternate measures of unemployment, U1 through U6,[70] which have been charted over time[71][72]

* U1: Percentage of labour force unemployed 15 weeks or longer.
* U2: Percentage of labour force who lost jobs or completed temporary work.
* U3: Official unemployment rate per ILO definition.
* U4: U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
* U5: U4 + other "marginally attached workers", or "loosely attached workers", or those who "would like" and are able to work, but have not looked for work recently.
* U6: U5 + Part time workers who want to work full time, but cannot due to economic reasons (underemployment).

Unemployment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The legitimate criticisms of those surveys are many but they mostly involve the difficulty of contacting the hardcore unemployed who only use their tracfones in an emergency which a survey isn't, the concealed unemployed such as those taking Social Security early and keeping track of the job birth-death survey. As Pinqy implicitly argues this is about as good as statistics get within the available budget. That's why sweeps weeks diaries gain you a cash reward for each diary filled out and returned as I did twice. Sweeps weeks have such low participation rates that every TV show I watched and radio station I listened to saw their ratings soar I must have been a Godsend for quite a few ad sellers. This self selection bias is a huge problem.

none of that is my point, Willie.

My point is that whether or not you receive unemployment benefits has no effect on the BLS unemployment rate.

Unemployment doesn't go down when folks stop receiving benefits. A myth that fully half the respondents in this thread echoed.

In relation to the original topic, the ONLY reason these #'s are down is because the extentions for the people whom have utilized them have run out. 1 that I know unemployed from the onset of the extensions just got notified his benefits run out in 2 weeks. This is not recovery.

Last edited:
In relation to the original topic, the ONLY reason these #'s are down is becasue the extentions for the people whom have utilized them have run out. 1 that I know unemployed from the onset of the extensions just got notified his benefits run out in 2 weeks. This is not recovery.

that is 100% false. Unemployment benefits have nothing to do with the unemployment rate.

In relation to the original topic, the ONLY reason these #'s are down is becasue the extentions for the people whom have utilized them have run out. 1 that I know unemployed from the onset of the extensions just got notified his benefits run out in 2 weeks. This is not recovery.

that is 100% false. Unemployment benefits have nothing to do with the unemployment rate.
True but the OP is in fact about UEI claims.

So? The fact of the matter is that while over half the folks posting incorrectly imagine that unemployment stats rely on whether folks are receiving unemployment benefits that is purely a myth.

Unemployment stats are compiled using a survey and whether u r receiving benefits is not one of the questions on the survey.

So? The fact of the matter is that while over half the folks posting incorrectly imagine that unemployment stats rely on whether folks are receiving unemployment benefits that is purely a myth.

Unemployment stats are compiled using a survey and whether u r receiving benefits is not one of the questions on the survey.
they do regarding the topic of this thread
and with that fact your posts have been nothing but a deflection
people losing the benefits WILL do exactly whats reported in the OP
your attempt to deflect has FAILED

You obviously can't understand the topic whatsoever.

You should hire an Econ to Stupidish translator.

Unemployment is not a measure of folks receiving benefits.

I am not the one diverting the topic to dwell endlessly on a mythical interpretation of reality.

YOU are. And you have been, twice spouting the same 100% false narrative.

You obviously can't understand the topic whatsoever.

You should hire an Econ to Stupidish translator.

Unemployment is not a measure of folks receiving benefits.

I am not the one diverting the topic to dwell endlessly on a mythical interpretation of reality.

YOU are. And you have been, twice spouting the same 100% false narrative.
folk recieving benefit IS the topic
stop trying to change it to the UE rate

and since its YOU that is trying to CHANGE the topic, you are the one that needs that translator

and since its YOU that is trying to CHANGE the topic, you are the one that needs that translator

You are an idiot. Half the fools posting in this thread have alleged. falsely, that only folks getting unemployment bennies are counted as unemployed.

You derailed the thread in that fashion twice, and twice more pretending otherwise.

Grow up!

You are an idiot. Half the fools posting in this thread have alleged. falsely, that only folks getting unemployment bennies are counted as unemployed.

You derailed the thread in that fashion twice, and twice more pretending otherwise.

Grow up!
LIAR
:eusa_hand:

actually YOU are the liar. Read the thread!

Do I need to quote you? Cuz I will.

Forum List

Back