UM football coach Harbaugh gets $40 million to coach "amateur" football

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Athletics has no place in college. Same with liberal arts. Colleges should teach STEM only.

Why Jim Harbaugh is worth 40 million to the University of Michigan s football team - The Washington Post

jan 2 2015
The University of Michigan’s decision this week to commit at least$40 million to Jim Harbaugh over the next seven years raised quite a few eyebrows. Forty million dollars — $5 million a year to start, along with a $2 million signing bonus — for a football coach?

Can jock-Armageddon, when the entire bloated-with-corporate-dollars sports world explodes, be far behind?

Actually, Armageddon has already pretty much come and gone in college athletics. The attitude of many players at the most visible schools was summed up by a tweet sent two years ago by Cardale Jones, who will start at quarterback for Ohio State in the national championship game on Jan. 12: “Why should we go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL,” he tweeted shortly after arriving at Ohio State. “We ain’t come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS.”

• Banned
Coach gets 40 mill while the players get a $40,000 a year scholarship!!! The school and coaching staff and TV networks make a fortune while the people who actually do the work get essentially nothing. Don't tell me the kids will make millions in the pros. Very few of these kids will ever see the NFL.

Coach gets 40 mill while the players get a $40,000 a year scholarship!!! The school and coaching staff and TV networks make a fortune while the people who actually do the work get essentially nothing. Don't tell me the kids will make millions in the pros. Very few of these kids will ever see the NFL.

The kids get a college education. They get the best of everything while they are in school, as opposed to deciding between 2 beers or enough ramen noodles to eat for the week, like most college students.

Oh, and you are short by a bit more than $15,000 on what the kids get.

The same complaints were voiced when the Univ. of Alabama hired Nick Saban for $4 million a year. It was unheard of to pay so much to a college coach then. That was in January of 2007. But in the first 3 months of the 2008 football season, the UA made a bit more than $32 million on merchandise, the overwhelming majority being football related.

Here is even more info concerning what Saban has done for the entire school: The Magic Of Nick Saban Everyone Wants To Go To Alabama - Forbes

"You basically know Saban’s record on the field: 68-13 since arriving in Tuscaloosa in 2007, with three national titles. The athletic department money has followed suit: 2012 produced revenue of $124.5 million and profit of $19.4 million, according to data from USA Today, up from $67.7 million in revenue and $7.1 million in profit in 2007. Football accounts for about two-thirds of all revenue and $45 million in profit, while the school’s other sports teams collectively lose money.

But the money flowing directly from Bryant-Denny Stadium is just the start. If you think that a top college football coach earning seven figures is overpaid, think again. To appreciate just how modest Saban’s $5.3 million salary is, take a wider look around campus. Since 2007, Tuscaloosa has swelled its undergraduate ranks by 33% to over 28,000 students. Faculty count has kept pace: up 400 since 2007 to over 1,700. But it’s more than growth – it’s where the growth is coming from. According to the school, less than a third of the 2007 freshman class of 4,538 students hailed from out of state. By the fall of 2012, more than half (52%) of a freshman class of 6,397 students did. Various data from US News and the New York Times shows that the school’s out-of-state tuition cost – nearly three times higher than the rate for in-state students – rose from $18,000 to $22,950 a year during that period."

In other words, UM is spending the money to make money and improve UM's image and standing, not just in sports, but across the board.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
Athletics has no place in college. Same with liberal arts. Colleges should teach STEM only.

Why Jim Harbaugh is worth 40 million to the University of Michigan s football team - The Washington Post

jan 2 2015
The University of Michigan’s decision this week to commit at least$40 million to Jim Harbaugh over the next seven years raised quite a few eyebrows. Forty million dollars — $5 million a year to start, along with a $2 million signing bonus — for a football coach?

Can jock-Armageddon, when the entire bloated-with-corporate-dollars sports world explodes, be far behind?

Actually, Armageddon has already pretty much come and gone in college athletics. The attitude of many players at the most visible schools was summed up by a tweet sent two years ago by Cardale Jones, who will start at quarterback for Ohio State in the national championship game on Jan. 12: “Why should we go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL,” he tweeted shortly after arriving at Ohio State. “We ain’t come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS.”

I wouldn't want him around my kid....

jan 2 2015

Why would you not want him around your kid? I'm not particularly familiar with Harbaugh, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he is dangerous to kids.

In other words, UM is spending the money to make money and improve UM's image and standing, not just in sports, but across the board.
By making education less affordable for the vast majority of potential students who can't cover forty yards in 4.5 seconds?

Yes, the tuition hikes are the responsibility of the football coach. I had forgotten that.

When you have more students wanting to enroll than you have places for students, you increase revenues and improve the school. Hire better professors. Improve the technology available to students ect ect ect.

If some cannot afford that particular school, there are other schools available or even a junio college for 2 years and then academic scholarships for two years.

jan 2 2015

Why would you not want him around your kid? I'm not particularly familiar with Harbaugh, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he is dangerous to kids.

I don't think he's a very good role model.

I don't think he behaves like an adult.

Yes, the tuition hikes are the responsibility of the football coach. I had forgotten that.
Millions of dollars for coaches is one more side effect of the corporatization of higher education in the US that view students as customers and faculty as adjuncts instead of tenured professors. What's your explanation for why only two colleges charged more than $40,000 a year in 2003 and six years later more than 200 charged that amount?

Money isn't everything.

I suppose we could always start paying students to study and get A's.

Millions of dollars for coaches is one more side effect of the corporatization of higher education in the US that view students as customers and faculty as adjuncts instead of tenured professors. What's your explanation for why only two colleges charged more than $40,000 a year in 2003 and six years later more than 200 charged that amount?

Unless the colleges are free, they MUST operate like a business. If you have room for 20,000 students and you have 25,000 apply for admission (and all of those meet or exceed the requirements) then you will be turning away 5,000 qualified students. You also have to spend money to maintain the facilities, make payroll, give raises, buy newer technologies, replace old and worn teaching and living materials and more. Those dollars come easier if you raise tuition rates.

The increase in tuition for 198 schools did not come about because of the pay for college football coaches. For one thing, the college only pays part of the head coaches salary. Part of their salary is person appearances and marketing. It is part of their compensation package.

And in many cases, like Nick Saban, the difference he has made in the income for the athletic dept (and the UA as a whole) far outweigh what he costs the school.

Forum List

Back