Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greece

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters
I'm a traveler. For me a great vacation is going seeing new stuff.

Last big trip was southern Africa seven countries, lots of animals, fear of crime, meeting different people, I was going to do the whole of Africa but got bored and tired and mostly apathetic after two months, so cut it short after three.

Me, a couple of rucksacks, enough underwear for a week, if you want clean underwear every day, a kindle, a smart phone for internet, a decent pair of walking shoes, a bank card and off you go.

Is there a Vacation spot you would recommend to someone as the ULTIMATE?
A "can't miss" place to visit?

Depends on what is a vacation to you?

Lying on a beach?
Climbing mountains?
Explore ancient cities?

My perfect vacation would involve beaches, dancing, sex, music, food and great beer and wine, along with ancient ruins.

Lying on a beach?
Climbing mountains?
Explore ancient cities?

My perfect vacation would involve beaches, dancing, sex, music, food and great beer and wine, along with ancient ruins.

Ah well, that's New Orleans.
Except for the beaches, although there is a lake.

Sometimes more of a lake than other times...

Lying on a beach?
Climbing mountains?
Explore ancient cities?

Ancient ruins huh?
Well, other than Hawaii and Australia - I would also like to do a European tour, of all the "well known" sites like Paris, Pisa etc. I also would like to visit countries of heritage (Germany, Sweden and Switzerland) - I'm a romantic so sure I would love Italy -

Kings Day ( the national holiday ) in Amsterdam. The best party you will ever attend.

btw.... perfect (see below):

I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S. Thompson

One spot on my bucket list is Skellig Michael, off the coast of Southern Ireland. It has a monastery from the 6th century and is a very adventurous spot because of the steep stairs you need to climb to get there. I just hope to visit before it gets too popular from the two Star Wars films they just made there come out and make it too popular.
images

I also want to take the three day hike to trolltunga in Norway

ImageVaultHandler.aspx

Actually there are a lot of spots like that in Ireland -- castles, thousand-plus-year-old churches and such, and of course megaliths far older, pre-Celtic structures going back to the Picts... some known and gentrified with regular busloads of squealing tourists, some simply off the beaten path completely. Much if not most of my tripping there that wasn't in search of traditional music was that kind of quest.

I recall one particular spot, required a trek up a very thin cliffside road to get to... we could see the remains below of at least one car that didn't make it.... at which point we took our seatbelts off in case of the same fate. Finally got to the top where there was a Newgrange-like cave, except completely unfinished and in its natural state. Nobody up there at all except a couple of hippies in a VW microbus. It was freaking cold up there too (in August).

I've been to Ireland, but it was a long time ago with my parents on a guided tour. So a lot of fun but no particular memories. I have a cousin who has been more than 20 times, so I figured it was time to go and take a second look. I like adventure so the cliffs of Moher are on my list, I saw some people mountain biking on them a few years back but I'm adventurous, not crazy. I'm looking for interesting places that are hard to get to and few people have seen. Something I can wrap up in a small photo album that says shazaam! they led a very interesting life.
I live in Ireland. It is best to travel around with someone who knows the country, rather than a 'tourist' excursion.

Lying on a beach?
Climbing mountains?
Explore ancient cities?

Ancient ruins huh?
Well, other than Hawaii and Australia - I would also like to do a European tour, of all the "well known" sites like Paris, Pisa etc. I also would like to visit countries of heritage (Germany, Sweden and Switzerland) - I'm a romantic so sure I would love Italy -
I love traveling in Europe. From our home in Ireland it is easy to take short trips to other countries. My teenage daughter and I travel around Europe to concerts.

Lying on a beach?
Climbing mountains?
Explore ancient cities?

Ancient ruins huh?

There's so much to do in Europe it's ridiculous, if you like old towns, they're all over the place.

Highlights have been the Ukraine, the former Yugoslavia, Italy is so full of stuff, Bavaria in Germany is great, as are the old Habsburg capitals in the Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria. The Baltic States are well worth a visit, as is Russia. The list just goes on and on and on.

Lying on a beach?
Climbing mountains?
Explore ancient cities?

Ancient ruins huh?

There's so much to do in Europe it's ridiculous, if you like old towns, they're all over the place.

Highlights have been the Ukraine, the former Yugoslavia, Italy is so full of stuff, Bavaria in Germany is great, as are the old Habsburg capitals in the Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria. The Baltic States are well worth a visit, as is Russia. The list just goes on and on and on.
Yes, in Europe it is great to walk around cities and towns checking out the architecture and going in and out of shops to see what is being sold. The different foods are usually a pleasure as well.

Lying on a beach?
Climbing mountains?
Explore ancient cities?

Ancient ruins huh?

Yes, in Europe it is great to walk around cities and towns checking out the architecture and going in and out of shops to see what is being sold. The different foods are usually a pleasure as well.

Makes me want to be there.. and jealous... will have to stop reading this thread!

Lying on a beach?
Climbing mountains?
Explore ancient cities?

Ancient ruins huh?

Makes me want to be there.. and jealous... will have to stop reading this thread!
You started it, did you not? I am sitting here waiting for my next trip, a short excursion to London with mt daughter for a concert.
Then I have nothing planned until Aoril, King's Day in Amsterdam for my 65th birthday, with the beautiful Ms. Nukes.

Lying on a beach?
Climbing mountains?
Explore ancient cities?

Ancient ruins huh?

You started it, did you not? I am sitting here waiting for my next trip, a short excursion to London with mt daughter for a concert.
Then I have nothing planned until Aoril, King's Day in Amsterdam for my 65th birthday, with the beautiful Ms. Nukes.

Yeah well I didn't expect people to expand on it and rub it in!!!! ;)

Ancient ruins huh?

Is that not why you begin a thread? Not the rubbing in part though.

Is that not why you begin a thread? Not the rubbing in part though.

Well, I asked for the 1 place you would recommend. You know I'm joking (I hope) I think it's a great thing to be well rounded and travel. My bad for not doing so.. I am able...

Lying on a beach?
Climbing mountains?
Explore ancient cities?

Ancient ruins huh?

Europe is wonderful- each country has its own unique charm. I love Italy- even though it can be touristy - there is a reason it is touristy.

My perfect vacation for charm and wonder would be Europe- Belgium/France/Switzerland/Italy/Slovenia/Austria.

My perfect vacation for relaxation might be Cancun or whichever Mexican/Central American place which would combine beaches and diving with Mayan ruins.

Forum List

Back