UK Votes To Leave European Union - World Markets Tank!

Owsi68

May 22, 2016
The citizens of the UK officially stamped their approval on the referendum to leave the European Union. But world markets reflect the belief that this is a bad idea.

As of 12:53am EST in America...
Tokyo down 7%, Dow futures down 696, S&P futures down 106, oil down 3.03, gold up 69, UK Pound is down to 30+ year low, and fear is through the roof.

Markets largely went to bed with positive numbers and expectations. But right now panic is sweeping the world's trade markets as the UK chooses to stand alone.

People are waking up to a whole new world. And many of them should be covering their call options like a mofo, although it is likely too late to salvage any funds.

Got a friend who is into investing? Wake their ass up and tell them to check for damage or opportunities.

I'm not an investor, but I think people are panicking, and I think things will stabilize in a few days.

The problem for Britain is the leaving process will take around 2 years, ie, it's still in the EU for this time, however no one will have any confidence in the UK. Unemployment will probably rise.

The restoration of British sovereignty will one day be celebrated like our own Fourth of July. They will take down all the metric signs and we will once again see distance measured as it should be, in miles, and a pint will once again be a pint, and a pound a pound. Fuck the Germans and the French and the Belgians, the British should embrace their true friends, the English speaking countries.

I'm not an investor, but I think people are panicking, and I think things will stabilize in a few days.
No doubt! Sudden and drastic moves in the market became the new norm when the internet was born. The world wide web allowed for rapid international communications and massive amateur investing.

The perfect scenario for confusion and panic to send markets plummeting down and days, weeks or months later, rocketing or crawling right back to where everything was before the world-altering news.

The problem for Britain is the leaving process will take around 2 years, ie, it's still in the EU for this time, however no one will have any confidence in the UK. Unemployment will probably rise.
The markets will recover quicker than the UK. There will be huge growing pains that they will feel deeper.than anyone else. I mean Christ, their currency hit alone could easily lead to a run on the banks in light of all the other worries.

The markets will recover quicker than the UK. There will be huge growing pains that they will feel deeper.than anyone else. I mean Christ, their currency hit alone could easily lead to a run on the banks in light of all the other worries.

Yeah, the problem is half the country will be too drunk to care.

The restoration of British sovereignty will one day be celebrated like our own Fourth of July. They will take down all the metric signs and we will once again see distance measured as it should be, in miles, and a pint will once again be a pint, and a pound a pound. Fuck the Germans and the French and the Belgians, the British should embrace their true friends, the English speaking countries.
America will no longer stand alone with standard measurements like a stubborn leper of the metric world!!

Yeah, the problem is half the country will be too drunk to care.
Alcohol and chocolate sales go up in times of economic hardship. Even higher during economic booms.

Always bank.on the reliability of human emotions.

Markets recovered slightly right after the opening bell but losses regained momentum and the numbers are now back to morning lows.

But the VIX, that one investor suggested as a good play for the given situation, is skyrocketing. Nearly 12 hours after the initial UK announcement the VIX is up over 38%

Banks, tech firms and the oil industry are taking the brunt of the abuse in U.S. markets.

their currency hit alone could easily lead to a run on the banks

Why?

Apparently somebody is buying a lot of British Pounds in The U.S. I thought to take advantage of the bargains earlier today by stocking up for a forthcoming trip and was told by the bank that delivery would take a few days longer than usual due to heavy volume but the price at which I bought would be firm. Professional currency traders normally do not take physical possession so this action suggests it's more "ordinary" people doing some bargain hunting.

P

Why?
Panic

What are the main exported goods/service?
Fuck, I don't.know off the top of my head. I know it was mentioned on a news program I saw earlier. All I remember is medicine and I thought I heard weapons.

But you should understand news is mainly just background noise for me while I do other things. I lock onto some stories but by and large I actually know and care very little about Britain or the UK. Nothing personal towards them, I don't even care enough about the city I live in to watch the local news.

P

Why?
Panic

Unless they're afraid their bank is going to run out of Pounds, why would a drop in the foreign exchange value of their currency cause them to panic?

P

Why?
Panic

Unless they're afraid their bank is going to run out of Pounds, why would a drop in the foreign exchange value of their currency cause them to panic?
Because it's happening in conjunction with a massive market drop and in the face of what may be huge future job losses (more a domino effect of Leave decision).

Like when the U.S. market collapsed. People rushed to invest in precious metals and foreign opportunities. because their money worked harder outside of the US trade and banking environment.

But this EU stuff looks like worse, or at least a lot more bad, is on the way. UK people are going to be using their pounds to buy gold or invest abroad. Leaving it in a Britsh bank or.British anything right now just wouldn't be wise unless you're very young with lots of employment skills,.a big savings account,.and a ton of optimism,

And as HenryBHough pointed out, there are always investors who buy currency on the dip with hope of cashing in later. Though I too expected a bigger dip..

Given that the U.S. already debuted what happens when a big world leader experiences financial collapse, I would guess that the Brits would respond a little quicker than we did.and move their money out of British banks for the next few months at least. Maybe more of a figurative than literal run on the banks.

America leads the way!

Last edited:
P

Why?
Panic

Because it's happening in conjunction with a massive market drop and in the face of what may be huge future job losses (more a domino effect of Leave decision).

Like when the U.S. market collapsed. People rushed to invest in precious metals and foreign opportunities. because their money worked harder outside of the US trade and banking environment.

But this EU stuff looks like worse, or at least a lot more bad, is on the way. UK people are going to be using their pounds to buy gold or invest abroad. Leaving it in a Britsh bank or.British anything right now just wouldn't be wise unless you're very young with lots of employment skills,.a big savings account,.and a ton of optimism,

And as HenryBHough pointed out, there are always investors who buy currency on the dip with hope of cashing in later. Though I too expected a bigger dip..

Given that the U.S. already debuted what happens when a big world leader experiences financial collapse, I would guess that the Brits would respond a little quicker than we did.and move their money out of British banks for the next few months at least.

America leads the way!

Or not.

Apparently somebody is buying a lot of British Pounds in The U.S. I thought to take advantage of the bargains earlier today by stocking up for a forthcoming trip and was told by the bank that delivery would take a few days longer than usual due to heavy volume but the price at which I bought would be firm. Professional currency traders normally do not take physical possession so this action suggests it's more "ordinary" people doing some bargain hunting.
Interesting cuz "ordinary" people don't normally react.so quickly. Good for you in picking up some for yourself. You're going to be able to live a rich life there during your vacation. I remember going to Mexico when the Peso was getting hammered (long, long ago). I felt like some disgustingly rich American.

Forum List

Back