U.S. soldiers in S Korea

Our amazing Pres. Trump is already talking about reducing the size of the U.S. military presence in South Korea, which is currently around 30,000 soldiers.

This will save the American taxpayer a boatload of money. .... :thup:
And immediately after that, we get to spend 100's of billions repelling the second invasion of South Korea by North Korea. And tens of thousands of American lives.

Our amazing Pres. Trump is already talking about reducing the size of the U.S. military presence in South Korea, which is currently around 30,000 soldiers.

And immediately after that, we get to spend 100's of billions repelling the second invasion of South Korea by North Korea. And tens of thousands of American lives.

???

N. Korea doesn't have the money to fight a sustained war.

Why would they? They've had the capability to hit Seoul in a surprise attack for years now, and this during times of greater tension between the two. Why would they do it now while they're getting along better than ever, while they just had a historic meeting with an American president, and while Chinese sanction of their provocative actions is at an all time low? Plus the same math would be in play absent American troops as with them. The north has no hope of invading the south, so their only option would be a surprise missile strike, which they could do, but would lead to their own immediate destruction. This regime has survived for decades, they're not suicidal.
You've never heard of a ruse before?
You know I think I have heard that word before, and it's entirely possible the north is negotiating in bad faith. It wouldn't be the first time. Regardless, history shows us they're not suicidal, and any missile strike would lead to their destruction. And an invasion would be solidly repelled by the south alone, and there's no question that American troops would be back on the peninsula in short order were an invasion attempted. There's no downside to giving peace a chance here.

So you believe that if NoKo were to launch a single nuke against SoKo or Japan, the U.S. would retaliate with a full blown nuke strike against NoKo knowing that NoKo would do the same against us? I don't think so.

Having a nuke strike against NoKo as the only option doesn't work.

You think the NKs can even attempt to hit the US with a nuke? Your name is gullible with a capital "G".

I think that NoKo has the missile technology that's at least as advanced as ours was in the 1950s, so they do have the basic capability.

The real question is whether U.S. anti-ballistic missile technology is advanced enough to stop a NoKo missile attack with absolute reliability and in such a scale that it can not be overwelhmed by numbers.

I don't know the answer to that.

I do.

Have a nice day!

Why would they? They've had the capability to hit Seoul in a surprise attack for years now, and this during times of greater tension between the two. Why would they do it now while they're getting along better than ever, while they just had a historic meeting with an American president, and while Chinese sanction of their provocative actions is at an all time low? Plus the same math would be in play absent American troops as with them. The north has no hope of invading the south, so their only option would be a surprise missile strike, which they could do, but would lead to their own immediate destruction. This regime has survived for decades, they're not suicidal.
You've never heard of a ruse before?
You know I think I have heard that word before, and it's entirely possible the north is negotiating in bad faith. It wouldn't be the first time. Regardless, history shows us they're not suicidal, and any missile strike would lead to their destruction. And an invasion would be solidly repelled by the south alone, and there's no question that American troops would be back on the peninsula in short order were an invasion attempted. There's no downside to giving peace a chance here.

So you believe that if NoKo were to launch a single nuke against SoKo or Japan, the U.S. would retaliate with a full blown nuke strike against NoKo knowing that NoKo would do the same against us? I don't think so.

Having a nuke strike against NoKo as the only option doesn't work.
Why is that the only option? I said in the post you quoted, "and there's no question that American troops would be back on the peninsula in short order were an invasion attempted." Furthermore, the idea that North Korea could hit the U.S. with a nuke is unrealistic. Seoul? Probably. Japan? Probably not, but maybe. The U.S.? Very unlikely. And yes, I believe that the U.S. would hit them with a nuclear strike that would take out their power structures in very short order wherein no retaliatory strike could even be attempted.

First, a U.S. force returning to Korea would take an awful lot of time.

Second, if we did hit them with nukes, they'd level Seoul in minutes.

Third, if we hit them with nukes, the fallout would blow over SoKo & China causing massive casualties in both countries and possible provoking a war with China.

Which way does the wind blow on your planet?

I hope our wonderful Pres. Trump also draws down the number of U.S. soldiers stationed around the numerous military bases in Germany and Japan, which currently is around 40,000 troops in each country.

WWll has been over for 70+ years.

Time to fold the tent and return home. .... :cool:
Except Japan and South Korea are protected under our nuclear umbrella. People worry that the two countries would feel compelled to get nukes if we pull out. Now I don't understand why that would be, since if we can hit NoKo from our silos in the Midwest, we can protect Japan and SoKo from the same silos. However, that is what some people are worrying about.
Personally, I think it would be great if we could remove our military from SoKo and quit threatening NoKo by our very presence. Some people think if we left, though, NoKo would march into the South and take over.
" Some people' are idiots. SK will mop the peninsula with their asses. NK is a shit show. Maybe this lil fat fuck sees how awesome SK, Singapore, Malaysia, VN and other places actually are and wants to join the club ?

It would be nice, but it won't happen until well after we know they have denuked and followed through on other agreements.

if things go well though, NK becomes a capitalist country

I hope our wonderful Pres. Trump also draws down the number of U.S. soldiers stationed around the numerous military bases in Germany and Japan, which currently is around 40,000 troops in each country.

Except Japan and South Korea are protected under our nuclear umbrella. People worry that the two countries would feel compelled to get nukes if we pull out. Now I don't understand why that would be, since if we can hit NoKo from our silos in the Midwest, we can protect Japan and SoKo from the same silos. However, that is what some people are worrying about.
Personally, I think it would be great if we could remove our military from SoKo and quit threatening NoKo by our very presence. Some people think if we left, though, NoKo would march into the South and take over.
" Some people' are idiots. SK will mop the peninsula with their asses. ...

Good luck finding someone in the SK military who has such a cavalier attitude about it.

Yes it will.

The Chinese will be happy.

The North Koreans will be happy.

They're the enemy.

South Koreans less so. They're the allies.

Yes, Trump diplomacy, annoy the crap out of your allies and get played by your enemies. MAIA, Make America Irrelevant Again.
So far South Korea is on board with everything Trump has done. These talks wouldn't have even happened if it hadn't been for Moon Jae-in laying the diplomatic groundwork from the beginning. It's far more his victory than Trump's, though Trump obviously deserves plenty of credit for being willing to go along with it.

But then something has to give. North Korea doesn't need to give in to anything.
How do you know? Something brought them to the table. Maybe it's a ruse, and history tells us that's entirely possible, but that doesn't mean it's not worth giving diplomacy a chance.

The north has no capability to invade the south. This is not the 1950's.

The north has no capability to invade the south. This is not the 1950's.

??????

Yes it will.

They're the enemy.

Yes, Trump diplomacy, annoy the crap out of your allies and get played by your enemies. MAIA, Make America Irrelevant Again.
So far South Korea is on board with everything Trump has done. These talks wouldn't have even happened if it hadn't been for Moon Jae-in laying the diplomatic groundwork from the beginning. It's far more his victory than Trump's, though Trump obviously deserves plenty of credit for being willing to go along with it.

But then something has to give. North Korea doesn't need to give in to anything.
How do you know? Something brought them to the table. Maybe it's a ruse, and history tells us that's entirely possible, but that doesn't mean it's not worth giving diplomacy a chance.

Because Kim Jong Un has said he won't give up his nukes.

Trump has said he won't withdraw troops from South Korea (in order to please the North Koreans, he said he'd do it if South Korea didn't do as he wants though. More contradictions from Trump).

Trump can't be seen to lose.

Kim Jong Un can't be seen to lose.

So, you want a deal where someone has to lose in order for it to happen, and neither side is going to accept that.

It's not going to work.

It's a show. Nothing more. Both of them are in the press, both of them looking good, smiles, doing diplomacy (sort of).

They come away from a meeting with "concessions" which are like kids going "I'll trade you Dan Marino if you give me your Dan Marino card".

Yes it will.

They're the enemy.

Trump has said he won't withdraw troops from South Korea (in order to please the North Koreans, he said he'd do it if South Korea didn't do as he wants though. More contradictions from Trump).

So, you want a deal where someone has to lose in order for it to happen, and neither side is going to accept that.

It's not going to work.

It's a show. Nothing more. Both of them are in the press, both of them looking good, smiles, doing diplomacy (sort of).

They come away from a meeting with "concessions" which are like kids going "I'll trade you Dan Marino if you give me your Dan Marino card".
And yet Kim is at the table to discuss exactly that. Me personally, I don't care if he doesn't give up his nukes. We're friendly with plenty of nuclear powers, and I don't see any reason this should be any different. If Trump can get a deal to make that happen, however, that's excellent.

Yes it will.

They're the enemy.

It's not going to work.

And yet Kim is at the table to discuss exactly that. Me personally, I don't care if he doesn't give up his nukes. We're friendly with plenty of nuclear powers, and I don't see any reason this should be any different. If Trump can get a deal to make that happen, however, that's excellent.

Not the first time North Korea has been at the table discussing that.

Yes, if Trump were to get a deal, great. But North Korea has done this before, made themselves look important and powerful, and then told the US to "fuck off" a year later.

It was an implied promise during his campaign. One of the reasons I voted for him.
The US doesn't need to be there and we owe South Korea nothing. Same goes for Germany and Japan, let them pay for their own defense as opposed to having the US do it for them

One needs to look at what troops are there in order to see where drawdowns are possible.

• Eighth United States Army; Headquarters: Camp Humphreys, South Korea; authorized about 20,000 Soldiers
  • 1920px-Eighth_US_Army_-_Korea.png

• Seventh Air Force; Headquarters: Osan Air Base, South Korea; authorized about 8,000 Airmen
  • Commander Naval Forces Korea (CNFK); Headquarters: Yongsan Garrison, South Korea; authorized about 300 Sailors
  • Marine Forces Korea (MARFORK); Headquarters: Yongsan Garrison, South Korea; authorized about 100 Marines
  • Special Operations Command Korea (SOCKOR): Headquarters: Camp Kim, Yongsan, South Korea; authorized about 100 members
As anyone can see, while the numbers seem big, it is only the three brigades of the 2nd Infantry Division that make up the majority of combat troops. The rest are all support and could be moved to Japan.

It's not going to work.

Not the first time North Korea has been at the table discussing that.

Yes, if Trump were to get a deal, great. But North Korea has done this before, made themselves look important and powerful, and then told the US to "fuck off" a year later.
That's true, but should we then preclude the possibility of diplomacy for all time? Times change, and this is a different North Korean leader.

Your amazing president is averaging 6.5 lies per day. His red hatted goobers can`t get enough.

Forum List

Back