U.S. risks 'another Benghazi' under Mexican rules barring agents from arming

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
U.S. risks 'another Benghazi' under Mexican rules barring agents from arming​

By: Joseph J. Kolb
December 03, 2012

U.S. agents on assignment in Mexico, where they are helping the local authorities go after violent drug cartels, are not allowed to carry weapons for their own protection, a situation that one lawmaker says could turn into “another Benghazi.”

Because the official role of U.S. agents south of the border is limited to intelligence gathering and training their Mexican counterparts, they are barred by Mexico from carrying weapons. The danger they face was underscored last month, when 15 Mexican National Police were arrested in connection with the attempted murder of two CIA agents in August.

~~~~~​

Obama gave tacit approval to Mexico’s prohibition against U.S. agents carrying weapons in March 2011, following the ambush killing of ICE agent Jaime Zapata and the wounding of his partner, Victor Avilla.

"There are laws in place in Mexico that say our agents should not be armed," Obama said.

And DEA spokesman Michael Rothermund said it’s for Mexico to decide if American agents can carry guns in Mexico, not the U.S.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
U.S. risks 'another Benghazi' under Mexican rules barring agents from arming | Fox News

Jamie Zapata was one of the first casualties to be killed in Mexico.

It seems you only respect American sovereignty. I am pretty sure we do not allow foreign agents to go around without a leash here either.

It seems you only respect American sovereignty. I am pretty sure we do not allow foreign agents to go around without a leash here either.

I suggest you check that one out before you make statements like that.

Forum List

Back