CDZ U.S. life expectancy will soon be on par with Mexico’s and Croatia’s

U.S. life expectancy will soon be on par with Mexico’s and Croatia’s

That may not be such a bad thing. It'll reduce the chances that people outlive their savings. It's also help bring down healthcare costs, health insurance costs and extend the time before Social Security's trust fund runs dry.

Life expectancy at birth will continue to climb substantially for residents of industrialized nations — but not in the United States, where minimal gains will soon put life spans on par with those in Mexico and the Czech Republic, according to an extensive analysis released Tuesday.

Neat article. Thanks for posting. Seems some of the U.S.'s problems are self inflicted by diet or life style.

I wonder if our lack of extended families living together plays a role.

Consider yesterday, Grandma couldn't come over and watch the boys so I played Mr. Mom all day. Only during the baby's nap time did my and the six year old get to go dig out the fire pit and fill some holes in the yard but that's it. Not the real work I do when I'm home alone but something at least.

Now I could have paid a baby sitter but it was just easier to watch my kids, play online and play video games with them.

Wasn't as good a exercise even as doing the spring pruning then painting some trim and what not though.

That may not be such a bad thing. It'll reduce the chances that people outlive their savings. It's also help bring down healthcare costs, health insurance costs and extend the time before Social Security's trust fund runs dry.
The utter callousness of progressives is breathtaking.

The utter callousness of progressives is breathtaking.

lol. Callous and in demand of universal health care? Odd combination of perceived traits.

lol. Callous and in demand of universal health care? Odd combination of perceived traits.
Callousness in looking at human life expectancy in the context of what's best for the government,

There is no other god before the almighty state!

You people make me want to puke my guts out.

I find it irritating to read stories like the one the OP references. What I don't care for is that the author didn't post a link to the source study or to the issue of the Lancet in which the research findings have been published. Whenever I see news organizations do that, I cannot help but wonder what they are not telling that was also in the paper referenced.

Maybe I'm the oddball in that where a writer provides a source link, I actually check it out to confirm a variety of things, but especially that the news (or editorial) writer didn't omit key messages from the source paper or take a caveated finding from the researcher's paper and present it as though that finding is "the" story. Then again, I actually read whole articles rather than just the headlines and "callouts."

From the article:
Americans will gain only a couple of years of life expectancy between 2010 and 2030, the study predicted, keeping life spans in the early 80s for women and late 70s for men. The study projects a life expectancy of 83.3 for women in the United States and 79.5 for men in 2030, up from 81.2 for women and 76.5 for men in 2010.

The reasons for the United States' lag are well known. It has the highest infant and maternal mortality rates of any of the countries in the study, and the highest obesity rate. It is the only one without universal health insurance coverage and has the “largest share of unmet health-care needs due to financial costs,” the researchers wrote.​
Okay...But just how much past ~80 do people really need to live? Yes, one can still enjoy some degree of life quality past 80, but it's hit or miss as to who does and who doesn't.

A cousin of mine lived to be 99 and was feisty, lucid and mobile to the end. My grandmother lived to be 93 and had Alzheimer's, diabetes, and hypertension. My great aunt passed at 80 of a coronary embolism, but there wasn't a thing wrong with her besides mild arthritis. Mom's 90 and a near total mess; it'd be easier to tell you what's not wrong with her than what is...If you put food in front of her, she can feed herself and she can go to the restroom on her own, but that's about all she can do on her own. But for the wonders of modern medicine, she'd have died ages ago.

We're glad she's still around, but were I her, I'd hate my life. I think she's kinda over it too. She doesn't want for anything, per se, but she can't do anything that she really used to enjoy. She can't "go out and play," so to speak, and my mother lived to "go out and play." She was a total socialite. Now she's effectively a recluse because, as they say, "she can't get around like she used to." Hell, she can't even hold a conversation like she used to.

I think quality of life is vastly more important than the length of life. To that end, stories like the one from The Post irk me a little. I think more effort should be focused on measuring life quality and what can be done -- both by governments and by individuals -- to raise the quality of life rather than longevity. I think if the former is "where it belongs and improving" the latter will land where it's supposed to. I know that's an ineloquent and vague way to express the thoughts in my head, but that's about all I feel like saying right now.

Last edited:
I could have paid a baby sitter but it was just easier to watch my kids, play online and play video games with them.

Wasn't as good a exercise even as doing the spring pruning then painting some trim and what not though.

Family is important and it is your kid, after all. Those stiles and muntins aren't going anywhere, but you won't get tomorrow to redo today with your son.

At six, my boys would have been "helping" me paint. But that's me. He's your six year-old, not mine, so you do you because that's better than you trying to do anyone but you.

The following paragraph from the newspaper article.

“If you have good insurance and you live on the East Coast and the West Coast, you probably get the best health care in the world,” he added. “It’s not the technical quality of it, which is superb. It's the spread of it.” In many parts of the country, top health care simply isn't available.​

What is going on in the Midwest, South and Mountain states? Are there not enough medical professionals? Do they not keep the facilities up to date/snuff? Do people not go to the gym, eat right and exercise regularly? It'd have been interesting to read more about that in the research papers on which the article is based.
Perhaps the following is part of what's at issue?
In December, the U.S. government reported that life expectancy had declined in 2015 for the first time since 1993 as death rates for eight of the 10 leading causes of death, including heart disease, rose.

In 2015, research by Princeton University economists Anne Case and Angus Deaton brought worldwide attention to the unexpected jump in mortality rates among white middle-aged Americans. That trend was blamed on what are sometimes called diseases of despair: overdoses, alcoholism and suicide.​

This isn't happening in other countries. It's happening in the US, in large part, because the current medical industrial complex discourages use of the system by making it inaccessible to those of modest means and high deductibles.

My doctor's office calls me to remind me it's time for a medical when would you like to come in. I have no paperwork, and no cost in going, so I go. Problems are caught early, when treatment is the cheapest and most effective. Win/win.

Forum List

Back