U.S. government sues to block vouchers in some Louisiana school systems

the public school system in this country IS the roadblock for the better education of the kids.

It seems there is no other way to break down the shitty system except totally destroying it and starting all over.

Without teachers unions.
The problem is the voucher system only destroys the system but does not rebuild it.

No, The NEA and Liberals destroyed the public school system. Not only through using race, but through the dumbing down of standards required of the Students to graduate each grade.

Today's students know more about Martin Luther King Jr than they do of George Washington, Madison, Hancock, and Jefferson.

Much like this latest flap where teachers are more interested in how a student got an answer than they are if the student got the right answer, the NEA and Teachers are to blame a lot of the ills in the school.

Then, close on the heels, are the Parents. Parents who don't look over their child's homework, who don't contact the Teachers or school admin, who allow their kids to dress any way they want for school.

My son used to get mad at me because I required him, even as a Senior, to dress properly and shave every day before school even though the school allowed beards. I told him he could grow his beard the day after he got his diploma.

Teachers were glad to see my son leave their school. They got tired of hearing my voice or seeing my name wanting to know what was going on in the class room.

Yes, I know it is hard on some parents. I worked two jobs most of the time my son was in school. But I still made time nearly every day, be it in the morning or evening, to go over his homework and other assignments. Even if I only got 5 hours of sleep, I would go to his school whenever I thought I was needed to go to get answers and to talk to his teachers.

This is down right foolish of Holder. Putting race ahead of the kids getting an education.

Can I see any proof in what you are assuming about what all the kids know?

The problem is the voucher system only destroys the system but does not rebuild it.

No, The NEA and Liberals destroyed the public school system. Not only through using race, but through the dumbing down of standards required of the Students to graduate each grade.

Today's students know more about Martin Luther King Jr than they do of George Washington, Madison, Hancock, and Jefferson.

Much like this latest flap where teachers are more interested in how a student got an answer than they are if the student got the right answer, the NEA and Teachers are to blame a lot of the ills in the school.

Then, close on the heels, are the Parents. Parents who don't look over their child's homework, who don't contact the Teachers or school admin, who allow their kids to dress any way they want for school.

My son used to get mad at me because I required him, even as a Senior, to dress properly and shave every day before school even though the school allowed beards. I told him he could grow his beard the day after he got his diploma.

Teachers were glad to see my son leave their school. They got tired of hearing my voice or seeing my name wanting to know what was going on in the class room.

Yes, I know it is hard on some parents. I worked two jobs most of the time my son was in school. But I still made time nearly every day, be it in the morning or evening, to go over his homework and other assignments. Even if I only got 5 hours of sleep, I would go to his school whenever I thought I was needed to go to get answers and to talk to his teachers.

This is down right foolish of Holder. Putting race ahead of the kids getting an education.

For those high school students who have the ambition to pursue a university degree, too few have the necessary knowledge and skills to do so. According to ACT (American College Testing), sadly only "26% met the ACT College Readiness Benchmarks in all four subjects".

ACT
The Condition of College & Career Readiness 2013 | How college and career ready are the 2013 ACT-tested high school graduates? | ACT

Evidently you haven't had any children in the public school system in the past decade.

Otherwise you'd know.

Consider this... President's day falls during Black History Month. Which do you think the schools are spending more time on? The Presidents and Founders that month or MLK?

So a school's "racial balance" is more important than allowing poor black kids to go to a better school.

What a fucked up thing to do to a kid.

This just doesn't stop, does it? If the PC Police actually gave a shit, they're put higher emphasis on the child's education than on what happens to be the color of their freakin' skin.

Madness. Blacks continue to be victimized by those who claim to "care".

The so-called party of pro-choice doesn't believe in choice at all when it doesn't fit their views.

They see color. Period. And it makes them feel happy and important when they look out and see color distributed evenly.

They will ignore the unhappy students and parents because they think they know what is best for everyone.

It is seriously fucked up. Too bad the people who seek to control never take into account how others feel about things and the fact that most people don't need or want someone to run their lives.

What I find so ironic about this is that these racial "balancing" provisions were put in place with the intention of giving poor black kids a better education and now they're using those same laws to keep them in bad schools.

Who the fuck wants to keep their children in a school of violence????

The PC Police have their priorities, and Number One is control. So, if a poor black child has to be stuck with a lousy education, tough shit. If a poor black parent would like to see their child escape the cycle of inter-generational dependence and make it on their own, tough shit. If a poor black child has to go to a school high in violence, increasing the chances that they themselves will become violent, tough shit.

And they claim to "care". Incredible. The only thing they "care" about is their ideology.

American blacks have been victimized twice in this country's history. We're living in the second one.

Last edited:
The purpose of the Louisiana voucher system is to destroy what remains of the the public school system and move the remainder of the students into private schools. This is a process that began in the 1960's when white parents moved their students into private schools to escape integration. Louisiana has consistently ranked 49th to 50th in their quality of public educations. I suspect that Louisiana will be the first state to abandon public education in favor of private schools and will probably provide some of the best education in the country, for those that can afford it.

IT also means, reduced teachers union power.....that's the real reason the Left is so anti-voucher. At the end of the day, teacher union power ranks higher than quality of education.

The purpose of the Louisiana voucher system is to destroy what remains of the the public school system and move the remainder of the students into private schools. This is a process that began in the 1960's when white parents moved their students into private schools to escape integration. Louisiana has consistently ranked 49th to 50th in their quality of public educations. I suspect that Louisiana will be the first state to abandon public education in favor of private schools and will probably provide some of the best education in the country, for those that can afford it.

If they go to a voucher system, everyone can afford it. Demand will create good schools.
Louisiana like most states have some very good private schools and some piss poor ones. Not surprising the best schools usually have the highest tuition. They pick the best students who can afford their tuition and hire the best teachers. They avoid the problem students, those that have learning disabilities, severe emotional problems and delinquents leaving these students to the public schools whose budget is being cut to provide vouchers. These vouchers do not provide sufficient funds to go to the good schools. The end result is a two tier educational system, good schools for the wealthy and upper middle kids and crappy schools for the rest of the kids.

Louisiana is different from most states because it has always had a large number of private schools, mostly parochial. Thus there has been strong opposition to public schools and pressure to route money from public schools to private. Also Louisiana teacher unions are one of the weakest in the country. The results have been low budget and one of the worst public school systems in the nation. The voucher system only guarantees worst education in public schools.

Last edited:

If they go to a voucher system, everyone can afford it. Demand will create good schools.
Louisiana like most states have some very good private schools and some piss poor ones. Not surprising the best schools usually have the highest tuition. They pick the best students who can afford their tuition and hire the best teachers. They avoid the problem students, those that have learning disabilities, severe emotional problems and delinquents leaving these students to the public schools whose budget is being cut to provide vouchers. These vouchers do not provide sufficient funds to go to the good schools. The end result is a two tier educational system, good schools for the wealthy and upper middle kids and crappy schools for the rest of kids.

You bring up a very good point.

Public schools were forced, by the left again, to accept students that should never had set foot in a public school. Then once there, instead of being with teachers who were specially trained to deal with their problems, they were "mainlined" into regular class rooms. Class rooms they never should have set foot into.

So yes, the schools do have that problem.. Forced upon them by the Left.

Louisiana like most states have some very good private schools and some piss poor ones. Not surprising the best schools usually have the highest tuition. They pick the best students who can afford their tuition and hire the best teachers. They avoid the problem students, those that have learning disabilities, severe emotional problems and delinquents leaving these students to the public schools whose budget is being cut to provide vouchers. These vouchers do not provide sufficient funds to go to the good schools. The end result is a two tier educational system, good schools for the wealthy and upper middle kids and crappy schools for the rest of kids.

Public schools were forced, by the left again, to accept students that should never had set foot in a public school. Then once there, instead of being with teachers who were specially trained to deal with their problems, they were "mainlined" into regular class rooms. Class rooms they never should have set foot into.

No, it's state laws that force public schools in every state to accept all students, not liberals. The idea of free education for all kids did not come from the left but a rather surprising source, John Adams.

In 1785, John Adams wrote, “The whole people must take upon themselves the education of the whole people and be willing to bear the expenses of it. There should not be a district of one mile square, without a school in it, not founded by a charitable individual, but maintained at the public expense of the people themselves.”

No, it's state laws that force public schools in every state to accept all students, not liberals. The idea of free education for all kids did not come from the left but a rather surprising source, John Adams.

In 1785, John Adams wrote, “The whole people must take upon themselves the education of the whole people and be willing to bear the expenses of it. There should not be a district of one mile square, without a school in it, not founded by a charitable individual, but maintained at the public expense of the people themselves.”

the problem is not public system, the problem is the push from the left to accommodate anybody into the system - you know, inclusiveness and other shit, then lower the standards toward the included, so they do not feel bad...all to the cheer of the teachers, which do not have to work that hard anymore.

Louisiana schools sucked for a long time. I went there in my senior year from a PA school and the classes I took in my Senior year that were mandatory for Seniors I had already taken in PA in 8th grade. That is how far behind they were. If you wanted any sort of education you had to go to private school.. Holder is holding these kids back

the problem is not public system, the problem is the push from the left to accommodate anybody into the system - you know, inclusiveness and other shit, then lower the standards toward the included, so they do not feel bad...all to the cheer of the teachers, which do not have to work that hard anymore.
If a public school system does not accept all students, then what happens to those that are rejected?

Louisiana schools sucked for a long time. I went there in my senior year from a PA school and the classes I took in my Senior year that were mandatory for Seniors I had already taken in PA in 8th grade. That is how far behind they were. If you wanted any sort of education you had to go to private school.. Holder is holding these kids back
One of the problems with this voucher system is the amount of the vouchers are not enough to attend any really good schools plus the school does not have to accept the student. Also these vouchers are only available to low income families.

If a public school system does not accept all students, then what happens to those that are rejected?

you misunderstood( or, maybe I wasn't clear -my bad) - they can be accepted, they should not be forced to be mixed with the others. Remember there was a grading system for the students based on their ability to perform?

One of the problems with this voucher system is the amount of the vouchers are not enough to attend any really good schools plus the school does not have to accept the student. Also these vouchers are only available to low income families.

You can eliminate this problem (and the need for vouchers) by allowing students to attend any school of their choice.

and? what happened to the merits?

that is the whole point - to have the ability to earn a better education

I had to pass 3 exams before entering my school ( the school was the single one from the first grade until the graduation as a high school)- it was a public school ( there were no others anyway) but it was much better school than the others.
it was not in the US.

you misunderstood( or, maybe I wasn't clear -my bad) - they can be accepted, they should not be forced to be mixed with the others. Remember there was a grading system for the students based on their ability to perform?
You bring up two issues.
Separating students into different classes based on their ability or achievement.
We've tried to do this for years and failed because the cost is huge. Imagine the cost of setting up classes for students with behavior problems, learning disabilities, and high achievers. There are not enough teachers or classrooms. There is no doubt, we would do a better job of educating our kids, but no one wants to pay for it.

Grades:
Most all schools have grading systems. They just don't fail students, at least not as much as they use to, because the consequences outweigh the benefits. Students that are held back tend to dislike school, get into trouble and have a low self esteem. They never catch up and about half of them drop out of school.

I had to pass 3 exams before entering my school ( the school was the single one from the first grade until the graduation as a high school)- it was a public school ( there were no others anyway) but it was much better school than the others.
it was not in the US.
Like most things in life, there is wide range of quality in public schools, my daughter's school was terrible. My grandsons public schools are great.

If the private system works, and the government subsidizes tuition for those who need it, where is the harm...

We want an education system that works...that's the goal.

Is the means really that important?

Forum List

Back