U.S. employers cut 80,000 jobs in March

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Gunny, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    More good news.:eusa_eh:

2. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Let's hope that whatever has to be done to help fix this situation is done and no one plays partisan games with it.

Don't know if any of you have been out of work, but it sucks. Right now to lose your job in a bad job market is even worse.

After studying micro and macro enconomics, I don't think anyone really has the definitive asnwer to this.

3. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,417
    Some do. And they've been given a lot more media time as of late, too, interestingly.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ye1u2TgYmXo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ye1u2TgYmXo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T1_Yo2BGdUk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T1_Yo2BGdUk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AwIncF3yrpQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AwIncF3yrpQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

By the way, that last one is the best one. If you want some good investment advice, you'll do well to listen to Jim Rogers.

4. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Here's an idea, get a job.

It WILL surprise you on how EVERYTHING else will work itself out.

Trust me.............:eusa_think:

5. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,417
    Yeah, there's a real surplus on them these days. :rolleyes:

6. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,106
    Get used to graphs that look like this

[​IMG]

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    What I don't like is this "pile on" effect. It's like everyone wants to get someone else's last dime and have jacked their prices accordingly.

And when oil industry representatives tell Congress "tough shit" about jacking up the price of gas -- gas being necessary for this nation to function -- I have no problem with government regulating their asses. I'm fine with capitalism until it puts itself ahead of our national best interest.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. KungFusion

KungFusion Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    "Here's an idea, get a job.

It WILL surprise you on how EVERYTHING else will work itself out.

Trust me............."

I don't trust you - i have a job and i hate it. i make decent money and support myself, but i have to devote 10 hours a day (the majority of my time spent awake) to doing crap that i find insipid and pointless. My job is a constant source of stress and disillusionment.

Work as salvation is a lie - unless you do what you enjoy (and i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most people don't) then it's just wage-slavery.

Work, consume, grow old, be forgotten, die unknown: the American Dream? . . . no, everything else will NOT necessarily work itself out.

9. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I feel like unemployment is a bit different now than what it may have been during the Depression and in the past. It seems like today people are entirely too picky about what they want to do, and are unwilling to temporarily do something different. They're so unwilling to get a lower-paying job to tide them over until they can find work again.

I've talked to a guy that has an architecture degree, moved to a place on earth that has almost no need for architects. He can't find a job anywhere, yet he's too proud of his degree to do anything less. So instead, he's unemployed and making little money. There's plenty of other jobs around here that are hiring, but he refuses to do them because they pay a few dollars less than what he's looking for. Well I've got news, a few dollars is better than no dollars.

There are lots of jobs in this country if people would only buckle-down and do them. People during the depression had to do what they had to do in order to survive. It seems like some people are willing to be jobless for a year until something they've wanted comes open. When they could be earning money in the mean time. Just my opinion.

10. M14 Shooter

M14 Shooter The Light of Truth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    Yes. Had the unemployment rate been 5.1% during the depression, FDR wold have been revered as a god.

Not that some people dont see him that way now...