Type 2 Diabetes? Red Wine for Dinner

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
1F9771E500000578-3270056-image-a-5_1444690289079.jpg

Sounds fine by me. But, I much more prefer Riesling.

Read more @ Red wine with dinner could help Type 2 diabetics

Red wine really does not have many carbs. Check online. There are tons of sites that give you the carb count. I think that one glass of Cabernet has less than 10 grams of carbs. An adult male can usually do 45-60 grams of carbs per meal. So a couple of glasses with dinner is fine. Hell, you could do the whole bottle is you limit carb intake with dinner.

However, use caution. Alcohol will cause your blood glucose level to drop. If you are subject to having bouts of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) as a result of your medication, then you may want to eat a snack while drinking alcohol. In addition, you probably want to monitor your blood glucose levels while drinking until you know how your body reacts.

I have type 2 and keep it controlled with diet and a couple of meds. I also like Cabernet. I stayed off any alcohol for over 2 years after the diagnosis. I recently started having a glass or two occasionally and it is working out fine. But I am prone to my blood glucose level dropping too low, so I nibble on some crackers while drinking if I have more than 2 glasses. However, I try to limit it to 2 glasses, which is consistent with what most dietician a have told me.

Bottom line is just do not overdo it and you should be fine.

I prefer Moscato, Liebfraumilch, etc. I heard that it is the resveratrol that makes red wine good, so I decided to drink whites and take resveratrol capsules. Maybe I'm fooling myself if it is the phenols that are giving the benefit.

i am not a wine drinker.....some say it distracts the liver and keeps it from doing a glucose dump...it will cause a drop in b/q that could be dangerous....lots of type 1's die of boozing too much and then dying in their sleep

New Topics

Forum List

Back